Generic enviroments

Veta

Many games , have enviroments , weapons and gameplay very simmilar to each other , so , what do you believe is causing developers to be repetitive ? , publishers ? lack of imagination ?,or the fact that most game developers are based mostly in western countries  ?

[spoiler=ASTA :The war of tears and winds, a game with a unique enviroment]-747953828.jpg

Because people have expectations. I don't see it as problem regarding to weapons. But as far it goes generic gameplay is bad. But same rule as before it is made so because people expect to be so. Look on succes of COD serries. I enjoied it till Moder warfare. Any tittle beyound that is just repetive. And yet it sells in milions.

I see the genericness of nowadays games as a sign of monetization, the whole procedure of making a game is a run against the time where most game companies strategy is just to copy the already standard settings and make money.

Artists arent given enough time to really make anything unique, there are ofc exceptions to that but the mainstream of games holds exactly to this strategy.

While graphically games have made an incredible jump forward, gameplay-wise not so.

I dont mind the genericness of enviroments as long as the gameplay is good.

Guest flingingfeces

Three words...Grand Theft Auto. :lol:

Ok more than three because I want to elaborate.  I remember back before GTA came out there weren't many free roam open world games besides Zelda and maybe one or two others.  GTA pops up and sells bazillions and now every dog and cat dev wants to shove their face in the bowl.  It's making the industry turn on itself imo.  Everything is just a rip off of another game and even Nintendo who was once praised for their originality is starting down the same path.

There are a few good devs still out there though who are free thinkers and it's a shame most of them happen to be indie with the lack of funding they need to revitalize things.  

There should be new original games like American McGee's ALICE... I really love that god damn game.

I also miss the enviroment Vampire The Masquarede had. Yes, it's located in Los Angeles bla bla bla. But I'm talking about the atmosphere, there was some magic on it I cannot find in any game lately.

Three words...Grand Theft Auto. :lol:

Ok more than three because I want to elaborate.  I remember back before GTA came out there weren't many free roam open world games besides Zelda and maybe one or two others.  GTA pops up and sells bazillions and now every dog and cat dev wants to shove their face in the bowl.  It's making the industry turn on itself imo.  Everything is just a rip off of another game and even Nintendo who was once praised for their originality is starting down the same path.

There are a few good devs still out there though who are free thinkers and it's a shame most of them happen to be indie with the lack of funding they need to revitalize things.  

Eh?  Nintendo's been going down that path since the Gamecube's early days, or if you prefer towards the end of the glory days of the 64.  How many different versions of Mario Cart are there?  Just sayin.  Nintendo lost my respect a long time ago.  And I have reason to believe it started with those damn stupid ass shitty Pokemon games.

There should be new original games like American McGee's ALICE... I really love that god damn game.

I also miss the enviroment Vampire The Masquarede had. Yes, it's located in Los Angeles bla bla bla. But I'm talking about the atmosphere, there was some magic on it I cannot find in any game lately.

Vampire the masquerade is awesome, 2 weeks ago i was going trough my collection of oldies games and found out i had it still along with bloodlines...so i installed both in mind, that i first start with redemption and then bloodlines.

A 13 year old game and none of the games i played nowadays came close to that feeling of epicness...while graphicaly it wasnt anything amazing the story and the atmosphere were thick is the finest noble's blood!

Then installed bloodlines together with latest unoficial patch and some mods and again...having a blast.

God, i so wish someone would make bloodlines 2 or anything that has to do with vampire the masquerade.

Vampire the masquerade is awesome, 2 weeks ago i was going trough my collection of oldies games and found out i had it still along with bloodlines...so i installed both in mind, that i first start with redemption and then bloodlines.

A 13 year old game and none of the games i played nowadays came close to that feeling of epicness...while graphicaly it wasnt anything amazing the story and the atmosphere were thick is the finest noble's blood!

Then installed bloodlines together with latest unoficial patch and some mods and again...having a blast.

God, i so wish someone would make bloodlines 2 or anything that has to do with vampire the masquerade.

I totaly agree. Bloodline is one of the best games i ever played. with such a dense atmosphere and intresting story it is easy to forgive that this games was a long time bugy as hell and had in it's realese version a plot stoper.

It's a real shame no studio or publisher works at the momnet with a world of drakness license because i think it's a powerfull license with a lot of potetial for a great game hope someone will pick it up soon

btt:

Now you have the "modern military shooter" for few years there were a tone of WWII games both are settings which are well-defined so the developer can save plenty of time in preproduction because they don't have to greate a lot of concept arts and hire story writes to create a believable world for a si-fi ,fantasy etc. setting. I can unterstand that they try to lower the producten costs where ever possibile for a quite expansive triple A game. What I can't unterstand is why most of this generic crap comes form the greate publisher which have enough money at their hand to fund at least some innovation.

I totaly agree. Bloodline is one of the best games i ever played. with such a dense atmosphere and intresting story it is easy to forgive that this games was a long time bugy as hell and had in it's realese version a plot stoper.

It's a real shame no studio or publisher works at the momnet with a world of drakness license because i think it's a powerfull license with a lot of potetial for a great game hope someone will pick it up soon

btt:

Now you have the "modern military shooter" for few years there were a tone of WWII games both are settings which are well-defined so the developer can save plenty of time in preproduction because they don't have to greate a lot of concept arts and hire story writes to create a believable world for a si-fi ,fantasy etc. setting. I can unterstand that they try to lower the producten costs where ever possibile for a quite expansive triple A game. What I can't unterstand is why most of this generic crap comes form the greate publisher which have enough money at their hand to fund at least some innovation.

Yeah i feel exactly the same way, there were plenty of bugs in bloodlines, but a good game is a good game and despite the flaws, you simply enjoy it.

The publishers wont bother as the game industry turned into a money grab system now...to make such a game from a strong ip, it would require alot of work, passion and thats something they arent willing to put their money and time in....make shiny graphics, copy the usual setting, sell.

No wonder then, when everytime i see some new trailer or gameplay vid, i always have the feeling i saw that somewhere already.

If a miracle happens and I get rich, first thing I would do, it's to buy Vampire Bloodlines rights and pay for a remake with next gen graphics and fixing all the bugs, adding better character customization, making a fully replica of LA with night/day changes and finally, fixing the AI. The rest would be exactly the same because the game rocked so much, a change on the script would be fatal ( well, maybe many more extra side quests with interesting background should be enough).

If a miracle happens and I get rich, first thing I would do, it's to buy Vampire Bloodlines rights and pay for a remake with next gen graphics and fixing all the bugs, adding better character customization, making a fully replica of LA with night/day changes and finally, fixing the AI. The rest would be exactly the same because the game rocked so much, a change on the script would be fatal ( well, maybe many more extra side quests with interesting background should be enough).

You sir have my full support and in your next election for president my vote too!!! :P

Yeah extra side quests would be cool, maybe with a few new locations too *drools*

Looking to the "big" companies for originality is becoming a lost cause. They put so much money into their creations that taking risks has become anathema to them. Independant developers are the most creative because they can be. They don't have high-powered overlords looking over their shoulders constantly comparing their work to something else that was released that made mass money. My opinion, could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

Also to add a little defense to Nintendo, they do release constant updates of older games, but are they not nearly ALWAYS fun? I believe so. Fun and creativity are quickly becoming lost in the "Who can pump out the coolest effects Race" and that's the biggest problem I see. I still am a fan of Nintendo and what they do, they concentrate on Fun rather than getting into a pissing contest with other companies over who can push out the best graphics.

The 3DS vs Vita is a perfect example of that. The Vita is a technically superior machine, yet the 3DS has left it in the dust. Why? The games. The Wii was underpowered compared to PS3 and XBox360, yet it offered something they did not, motion control. A new way of playing. A lot of people liked it (some didn't of course), but it worked. It worked so well in fact that Sony felt the need to copy the technology at the same time they made fun of it.  To say Nintendo isn't innovative or adverse to taking risks is a falsehood.

Back to the meat of the question: The reason is money and the fact that developers have such power to work with these days it makes up for a lack of creativity and ingenuity. When consoles/PC's were weaker, they had to mask the weakness of the hardware with actual content and storytelling, now they can just animate an epic explosion and move along.

Edit: If I missed the point, feel free to fishslap me and tell me to move along. ;)

Looking to the "big" companies for originality is becoming a lost cause. They put so much money into their creations that taking risks has become anathema to them. Independant developers are the most creative because they can be. They don't have high-powered overlords looking over their shoulders constantly comparing their work to something else that was released that made mass money. My opinion, could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

Also to add a little defense to Nintendo, they do release constant updates of older games, but are they not nearly ALWAYS fun? I believe so. Fun and creativity are quickly becoming lost in the "Who can pump out the coolest effects Race" and that's the biggest problem I see. I still am a fan of Nintendo and what they do, they concentrate on Fun rather than getting into a pissing contest with other companies over who can push out the best graphics.

The 3DS vs Vita is a perfect example of that. The Vita is a technically superior machine, yet the 3DS has left it in the dust. Why? The games. The Wii was underpowered compared to PS3 and XBox360, yet it offered something they did not, motion control. A new way of playing. A lot of people liked it (some didn't of course), but it worked. It worked so well in fact that Sony felt the need to copy the technology at the same time they made fun of it.  To say Nintendo isn't innovative or adverse to taking risks is a falsehood.

Back to the meat of the question: The reason is money and the fact that developers have such power to work with these days it makes up for a lack of creativity and ingenuity. When consoles/PC's were weaker, they had to mask the weakness of the hardware with actual content and storytelling, now they can just animate an epic explosion and move along.

Edit: If I missed the point, feel free to fishslap me and tell me to move along. ;)

Only time I've had fun with a Nintendo game since after the 64 was when I was too drunk to know better.  Really the only time Wii Bowling is ever entertaining is when you're hammered on jager bombs.  As far as Pokemon goes, it's a fruitless exercise in repetition. I got the first one on GB when it came out, played halfway through, traded it in for something else.  I think it was the Link to the Past remake, the four swords one.  And really, when parents provide games like that to their kids, they're only promoting slavery.  I mean, seriously.  You capture small intelligent animals and force them to fight each other?  That's illegal in the states. 

Only time I've had fun with a Nintendo game since after the 64 was when I was too drunk to know better.  Really the only time Wii Bowling is ever entertaining is when you're hammered on jager bombs.  As far as Pokemon goes, it's a fruitless exercise in repetition. I got the first one on GB when it came out, played halfway through, traded it in for something else.  I think it was the Link to the Past remake, the four swords one.  And really, when parents provide games like that to their kids, they're only promoting slavery.  I mean, seriously.  You capture small intelligent animals and force them to fight each other?  That's illegal in the states. 

I laughed harder than I should at that. :P I was speaking more in terms of the newer Zelda's, Metroids and such. Everyone has their own tastes, I wasn't looking to challenge but just defend my opinion of Nintendo. I never got into the Pokemon Craze so I can't comment on that. Sure they'd had their misses, but their success are numerous as well.

If you want promoting slavery, try Pikmin!

Archived