I'm accidentally becoming a mod maker.

I've finalized my load order. Well for the most part anyway. It's funny. I've installed maybe 80 to 100 core mods. But after installing all the myriad of patches published that make those core mods work with each other, I'm over 300 plugins now. Divines bless the "ESL" flag.

How I'm "accidentally" becoming a modder (maker of mods), is simply because not everything I've got installed has patches with other things.

For example, I've already made a ton of patches between mods to correct the dreaded "Black Face Bug". The mods I have installed just couldn't play nice, no matter how I adjusted the load order. So...left with no other option (aside from uninstalling), I cracked open the internet and learned a super basic method of making patches with xEdit. 6 patches later (all flagged as ESL), I have yet to find a single Black Face anywhere while testing. After about 5 hours of tediously checking formIDs for NPCs thoroughly, I'm confident that I've completely nipped that problem in the bud.

After I did all that, I braved the CK. The only reason I installed the Kit (initially) was to fix some mods that were still marked as Form 43. But I figured, since I have the damn thing, why not try using it for more?

So I've tweaked a single NPC. I didn't do a whole lot. I just took Lisbet of Markarth and made her both a potential follower, and potential spouse. I then created a custom outfit for her, and changed her hair. Nothing incredibly drastic.

I now have a rather daunting task ahead of me. I'm going to have to edit cells. You see...I have the Realistic Room Rentals mod installed. And I tell you friends, that's a tricky little pig. It's not terribly compatible with other mods. And the patches out there that do exist aren't really complete.

So...I don't know how long it's going to take, between flubbing around in the CK, and testing it in-game. But I'm up for the challenge.

I just wanted to post this as a message of gratitude to you fine folks. Between those of you who took the time to answer questions of mine directly, or all of you who have posted fixes for things that you've discovered yourselves (which has saved my sanity more than a few times BTW), and all the others who took the time to post quick and dirty "how to" guides.

Sincerely...thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been "playing" skyrim for 8 years and havn't get passed the coc qasmoke. this game is modding itself.
as for your black face bug using a vanilla hair replacer and just populating facegens would fix your issues without creating esp flagged esl, that plus proper load order, checking records in xedit, you could save up a few, keep up the great work, you might publish three way patches on the nexus when you use mainstream mod that have small issues. people love patches

1 hour ago, Aylis said:

Sounds familiar (although i work more with textures). I was never satisfied with the skins that were available. So i started mixing stuff together...

Now i got my own, thanks to @Kokan's and @Bazinga's support for the base textures, and i'm very happy with it.

Sorry, but how did I help? Can't remember tbh. ?