Has anyone ever figured out what causes crashing on saving (Fallout 4)

shunter

I ran up to this bug today, and lost 20h of progress because of it. I've exhausted my google-fu, and apparently no one really knows what causes it, even modders themselves. I'm honestly not even gonna bother posting my load order or whatever because I know for a fact that won't do any good. I've seen people with radically different load orders and very few mods get the same issue, or people playing vanilla on console also get that issue. I was just hoping there was some sort of new information about this issue. I'm guessing that it's because Fallout 4 is much like a jenga game where if you do anything you're not supposed to, it just falls apart, and adding mods would be the equivalent to adding even more pieces which would create even more situations where one single move could take the whole thing down. Kinda stupid analogy but it's the best I could come up with right now. ?

3 hours ago, shunter said:

I ran up to this bug today, and lost 20h of progress because of it. I've exhausted my google-fu, and apparently no one really knows what causes it, even modders themselves. I'm honestly not even gonna bother posting my load order or whatever because I know for a fact that won't do any good. I've seen people with radically different load orders and very few mods get the same issue, or people playing vanilla on console also get that issue. I was just hoping there was some sort of new information about this issue. I'm guessing that it's because Fallout 4 is much like a jenga game where if you do anything you're not supposed to, it just falls apart, and adding mods would be the equivalent to adding even more pieces which would create even more situations where one single move could take the whole thing down. Kinda stupid analogy but it's the best I could come up with right now. ?

Fallout 4 is rather complicated game with ton of content which can be extended with a lot of mods at any time and as you can see this is rather complicated situation to handle by coder, but still you can try disable mods and check if it helps, also there is tool called resaver, probably it can help

And for future: make saves each 1-3 hr and backup them

8 hours ago, Indarello said:

Fallout 4 is rather complicated game with ton of content which can be extended with a lot of mods at any time and as you can see this is rather complicated situation to handle by coder, but still you can try disable mods and check if it helps, also there is tool called resaver, probably it can help

And for future: make saves each 1-3 hr and backup them

I actually keep all of my saves intact. I even tried deleting some older ones to see if it would alleviate the problem, but that didn't work. Even if I roll waaaay back to a save where saving didn't make me CTD, if I play for long enough the CTDing comes back, as it happens with many people. I'm gonna give Resaver a try, but I don't think it's gonna do anything, since I don't actually removed mods mid playthrough.

Archived