Companion Losing Items

galgat

I have tried, and made my own [ Infact I made the first Companion mod that used her own voice sync, it was terrible Voice sync, but it did work "TagLadyOB" ], just about every Companion mod of any merit out there, and all of them no matter how well made eventually you run into a place where your Follower, when you check there inventory has lost everything you put there, and returned to it's default load out.

I was wondering it anyone had a script that kept this from happening, it flustrats me a lot, and is why I never use companions as a rule in Oblivion.

In morrowind i used them all the time, and had great fun with them, but Oblivion has always had that bug that pop's up at the worst possible time's. sometimes it is a gate closing, sometimes it is a moveto with a cell change that screws things up, and sometimes it is a custom world change that does it, but eventually it happens.

I wish the OBSE makers would or could make a function, say for instance [ SetNPCDefaultItems ] that would set the NPC Default load out to be as it is when that is called, which would be after any "Share inventory Script" where you changed your Companions inventory. [ Then if the bug happened, you would still have exactly what you last put there, as that would be the default load out for the NPC ]  Unlikely to happen, but it is a wish of mine.

However Perhaps someone here has the code that can foolproof the Companion inventory ?

That I have missed. I would truly like to have that.

I have never noticed this happening with the MCS (mad companionship spells) follower system.  You might try borrowing some of the coding from it. 

If it still happens with MCS, I sure have never noticed it.  Whatever I give them stays until I take it away.

The was a persistent but for both CRS and CM partners and I likewise came to hate using both of those systems because of it.

If you have issues grabbing the scripting from it just holler and I can rip them out for you.

It is necessary to have you contact OBSE team if you want to make Plugin and distribute the allotment of the base address.
They should be still active.
I had you distribute a base address in communication with them.

It is necessary to have you contact OBSE team if you want to make Plugin and distribute the allotment of the base address.

I run the MCS, and have tried my own routine as well and it happens all the time. And normally at the worst times. 

I run these when I am not testing my own scripts

23  HUDCompanions.esp
24  MadCompanionshipSpells.esp  [Version 2.5]
25  HumantouchNPC.esp
26  MCS extension.esp

The sharing scripts are easy, [one function script, and one script attached to the chest] it is the fall back to default that makes them truly untrustworthy.

Here is one I made, and was testing of late for my own use

SCN AAACRGLBaySlaveItemsGetFunction ;this just a function call

;example Call AAACRGLBaySlaveItemsGetFunction 1

short Mode

Begin Function { mode }

If (MenuMode 1009 == 1)
        return
    endif

if mode == 1
    AAACRGLBaySlaveChestREF.moveto player
    AAACRGLBaySlaveChestREF.enable
    set xloverscrgluttonybay.OpenChest to 1
    AAACRGLBayPatteringSlaveREF.RemoveAllItems AAACRGLBaySlaveChestREF
    AAACRGLBaySlaveChestREF.Activate player
endif

END

SCN AAACRGLBaySlaveItemsDone ;this attached to the chest

begin Gamemode ;MenuMode 1008

if (MenuMode 1008 == 0) && xloverscrgluttonybay.OpenChest == 1
    AAACRGLBaySlaveChestREF.RemoveAllItems AAACRGLBayPatteringSlaveREF
    PrintToConsole"stuff should be back in Slave now"
    set xloverscrgluttonybay.OpenChest to 2
    AAACRGLBayPatteringSlaveREF.evp
endif
if xloverscrgluttonybay.OpenChest == 2
    AAACRGLBayPatteringSlaveREF.update3D
    set xloverscrgluttonybay.OpenChest to 0
    AAACRGLBaySlaveChestREF.disable
    AAACRGLBaySlaveChestREF.moveto AAACRGLBayHoldSpotREF
endif
END

And i have tried many others, but they all fail eventually.

It may just be that I know how to make the bug happen, and that is enough for me to not want to use them.

Anyway I have never found a foolproof it won't happen, is why I never continued work on Taglady. it was A bug I could not prevent.

I had hoped with OBSE that there might be a way, as this did not exist when i made Taglady in 2006, and turned her out when Oblivion was less than a month gold.

And thx u, yes I have already approached the OBSE team with my Wish..:)

I hear you.  When it comes to scripting a box of rocks is smarter than me.  I gave a quick glance at the OBSE Command Documentation page but nothing jumped out at me.

Someday I will try to delve into scripting but it won't be anytime soon.

Sorry I can't help you.  You might try sending an email to team@obse.silverlock.org and see if they can point you in the right direction (if there is one).

I have a simple question.

Is the attribute of the treasure chest right?

Because I translate English into Japanese by machine translation and watch the contents of the question, I do not completely understand the contents of the question.

I did not write an article in this site, but made MOD called DarkDreamer before.

(there seems to be famous MOD of the same name, but I do not know it)

There is NPC coming to a PC in MOD.

NPC changes into it when I carry an item to NPC.

When NPC cannot catch up with a PC, NPC teleports itself near a PC.

However, the phenomenon that the thing which I carried to NPC disappeared has not occurred.

The scripts actually there are 2 scripts there the first one is a function call.

1. script

is called in dialog in the results box with

Call AAACRGLBaySlaveItemsGetFunction 1  ;The one [ Mode ] denoting the activation of the " IF " statment

this brings the chest from its storage cell to the feet of the Player, and opens it. PLayer should never see it unless in third person mode.

2. script

It is attached to the Chest.

when the " MenuMode 1008 == 0 ( no menu up meaning it has been closed ) && xloverscrgluttonybay.OpenChest == 1 ( a Quest variable set by the first script ) "  The player closes the chest

the chest Script moves everything in it back to the NPC " AAACRGLBayPatteringSlaveREF " REF

Disables it self

then return's to its storage cell to await the next function call

Sharing scripts are actually very simple.

That is not my problem this script works fine for sharing.

My problem is that no matter what I do eventually the Oblivion bug will hit, and the Character in this case " AAACRGLBayPatteringSlaveREF " REF

Will lose all Item's, and drop back to there default item's.  losing what ever Items you placed in there inventory.

I have tried duplication of the chest items. A back up so to speak.

and another Dialog Topic to recover them if this happens from a secound chest. but this is problematic, and makes the script complex.

It should not have to be done. There should be a simple way to foolproof the stored Item's

This bug is compounded by the fact that most of my mods include World cell's outside the normal Oblivion environment. These will make the bug more possible to happen. As it does with Oblivion cells

Movement to Oblivion Cell from Tamrial cell and back is always chancy with companions and there Item's

I broke this up in the hope of making easier if translated. I may have done wrong doing that.

************* Edited ***************

I may be onto something here, I am checking some things. they seem promising.. I was just hoping for someone else's imput, and chatting has actually helped me to see something I had missed. But I think will still not be foolproof.

***********Edited*************

Yes I think I have stablized it.. Some things i had missed, and figured out.. still testing...But I have not made the lost item bug happen in some time. also cured the double face from moveto popping up. which was very nice to get rid of.

I like your way, I was just lazy, and did not want to set up a " loop " count.

I know I should have, but this is for a small roll in one of My mods, and I do not want to spend to much time on it.

I have everything working fine now. It is something I am toying with in one of my other Mods.

You could actually do the same thing with 2 scripts as I did.

if you wanted to.

very well done though.

Also I went to a lot of trouble to updat3D during fast travel, and stop the double face bug.

Then I found " fasttravelDoubleFaceFix.esp " LOL

So I threw all that work away, and use it instead.

• 1 month later...

Thx you Perfectionist I may latter use a variation of your script.

It was done very nicley .

I wish I could have seen that script, and what you came up with as well.

I've been messing around with Morrowind for years, but just got Oblivion this Christmas, so I've just started tinkering with it. As such, while new, I'm not totally ignorant.

I'm just beginning to look into companion mods (I was looking at the CM Partners system and checking for compatibility issues) and this is the first I've heard of this bug, which would be really annoying.

Looking into the problem I found this which might give you some additional insight;

http://emmates.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=oblivion&action=display&thread=45

But I digress...

I'd rather not waste my time figuring out an entire new companion system from scratch. On the other hand, I would also like something that works. And works correctly. If either of these methods are truly stable, i'd like to see how they were done so I could try integrating one of them into an existing system.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic. I for one have used MCS for my last few playthroughs, and never has anyone i have had tagging along reset their inventory. This includes going into alternate world-spaces, oblivion gates which mcs should auto-evac your gang before you reach the sigil, and even the depths of the blackness that is testinghall. Actually the only time i remember my npcs resetting their inventory was back during my first usage of mcs, and forgot to set Forbid on respawn equipment in MCS settings, but obviously you did that since you are trying to write code to stop this unamusing obilvion and/or obse bug.

Archived