I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all mod authors and those who help support them. All too often, people complain or say hurtful things without thinking of all the work the authors have done to try and bring new life/different outlooks/alternate experiences to Skyrim (other games too, but Skyrim is what I play from LL). Some of us users can be a pita :innocent: (not me, of course, ahem...ahem) and I just wanted to let you guys know that you are appreciated.

And another Thank You to @tasairis for your SSE conversion tracking thread.

10/29/23:  Something I forget to do is like a mod that I use a lot. I'm in the process of fixing that now. Liking a post is easy because the like button is right there. On the mod page, however, it's at the bottom of the page and easy to overlook.

Edited by Seeker999
  • 3 years later...

I've been reading a lot on the forums recently, and it occurs to me that we mod users can show our appreciation when we ask for help - and I don't just mean being courteous, though that's important too.

First, do a little self-help. Ultimately this will save you and the mod author (or anybody else who might be able to help) time and effort.

1. Get your game version if you don't know it already. Are you Oldrim/LE (at this point probably everybody has the same version #), Special Edition v. 1.5.97, Special Edition v. 1.6.640 (anything over 1.6 aka Anniversary Edition), or something else?
  2. What skse version are you using? It's important that you have the right skse file for your game. Word of caution: the skse team uses the same version #2.2.3 for SSE 1.6.640 (game purchased from Steam) and for SSE 1.6.659 (same build as 1.6.640 but purchased from GOG). If in doubt, download and install the correct version and try again.
  3. Carefully read the mod description and requirements, and make sure the mods you installed match your game/skse setup (any mod with a .dll file relies on the correct game/skse match). A lot of issues can be resolved by installing the correct version of Fuz Ro D-oh - Silent Voice, for instance. I've seen that quite a few times. Also, check if Mod A requires a specific version of Mod B.
  4. Do a search. The LL search function is not as robust as outside search engines, so if you don't find your problem/answer here then do a search on DuckDuckGo, Google, whatever. Maybe the answer lies in an old LL post, it could even be in Reddit or somewhere else.
  5. You've done what you can and you still need help. Time to ask in the mod's support topic. Include the following information:

*  start w/ a concise description i.e. "my companion stopped talking to me."

*  game version

*  skse version

*  mod version, it won't hurt to include the mod versions of common mods such as Fuz, Sexlab, etc. And don't just say 'latest version', be specific.

*  your load order (either behind a spoiler or in a .txt document you upload). Even if you think your entire list is unnecessary, you could be wrong. Sometimes a seemingly unrelated mod can be the root of the problem. Example:  I don't enter Shalidor's Maze every game. In fact, this was the first time since I switched to SSE. Funny thing, when I went to the entrance, the entrance was gone! Just a rock wall!. I did some research and found that a player home mod I'd been using since I switched to SSE caused navmesh issues in other places. I disabled the mod and suddenly I could get into the maze. So your load order is important because somebody may recognize a mod that caused issues.

*  a papyrus log. If you don't have one, go ahead and post your problem and let 'em know you will work on getting one. That's an easy search if you don't know how to set it up.

*  details matter. Describe in as much detail as you can, what you were doing, what you had just done. Were you in combat? Were you out in the wilds? Could you see combat in the distance? Did you fast travel directly into Whiterun, for instance, or did you walk in from the stables? Did an npc greet you or try to come up to you (guard, courier, whatever)? Were you trying to talk to an npc? Is it a repeatable problem? Did you try from the same save or different saves? Did you recently add/remove/upgrade mods?

*  a crash log. If you are getting CTD's, this might help.

*  use spoiler tags or upload text documents of your logs, load order, etc. This not only makes it easier to read, but is a courtesy to all your fellow members. Don't post a giant wall of text.

The mod author is going to ask you for this information anyway, so, as I said, it'll save you both time.

When your problem is solved, please post the fix. IMO, quoting your original request for help and saying what fixed it is best. That way the issue and the fix are together. This not only helps the mod author, but it's a great help to your fellow mod users. The number of times I've seen that somebody had the same problem I was having and they said they fixed it but not how .... AARGHH!!!

Always remember, the mod you downloaded from here is FREE. Any support you receive is FREE. Of course you want to be able to play your game, but mod authors need to pay their bills. Be patient. And, as I said in the beginning, a little work from you upfront will help both of you in the end.

Is your issue with the game itself? or after an update?

Not sure which mod isn't working for you?

Post your help request in Technical Support for your game. For instance, Skyrim SE tech support is here.

Don't post in a thread unrelated to the help forum or your suspect mod. That can slow down you getting the answers you're looking for.

Just a quick note, we all have our own ideas on what can make a mod better. Most mod authors are willing to listen and appreciate the interest in their work, but remember your ask may not be as simple as you think and simple or not it will take time. Please, just ask once, including your reasons why you think it would be good, and let it go. Even if the mod author doesn't respond directly doesn't mean they didn't take note. Your request might not fit into their vision of their mod or they can't do it for reasons.

Thank you.

Links to other posts that might help somebody w/o a lot of modding experience:

Edited by Seeker999
4/15/24 added more links