Recover apps and files if Windows 10 wont start

Aslan.

Hi guys!

i could use some help with a problem i got with my pc.

Basically everytime i try to boot my pc, it display immediatly a BSOD with the error code 0xc0000a21.

From yesterday i've tried everything to at least reach the login screen but i cant.

-tried to boot in safe mode (and any other mode), didn't work

-tried to use a restore point but it tells me thet there's no restore point (but there was at least 4 i've created in the past....)

-tried the console command sfc /scannow to see what is happening but didn't work

-tried also other console command that i can't remember now, didn' work

The only thing that remain is to restore windows but this way i will lose all my apps, especially skyrim and because it will be a huge pain in the butt to reinstall everything i've done till now (5 years of modding and customizing...), i was lookin for a way to restore windows but keeping the apps and data.

So if anyone know a method to do so, i will be very grateful.

Dunno if it can be useful, but i have a gaming laptop that i use occasionally, maybe it could help?

really thanks to anyone who will help, a good day to you all!

They don't make it easy, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/0xc000021-code-automatic-repair-loop/deb1721c-b22b-4185-8051-3e18877f21c6 is useless. 

Just in case you are very lucky, (just in case), set your BIOS settings to the slowest. If you can do it easily, test your memory (but that's usually useless too)

if you have maybe 4gb*2 memory, remove one of them (question is, which one)

And if you're not so lucky, your power-supply or your disk drive are going bad.

If you ever get back to normal, besides the obvious (doing a backup) something is either failing or getting corrupted.

They used to have an in-place upgrade, but most people can't use it. But if you could, you could keep the apps.

I don't consider myself helpful but I've fixed a few PC's in the past.

If there was a way to spend $50 for a new drive, install windows, do most of the above (especially the part about checking your disk drive)

then unplugging the new drive and eventually using it to backup your system, that might help too.

Don't you just wuuuuuuv windows 10?

You can do dropbox or some other cloud based file storage for backups or just plug in one of those usb things that most people don't even recognize anymore and save your files there. When something like this happens you have to be ready for it.

If you have a desktop you can easily take your drive out and read it from another pc copy your files off there or just plug in one of those usb boot drives and boot from that copy your files off without having to remove any hard drives. Laptop same but some laptops are not user serviceable friendly and it becomes a real chore just to take out the drive. Some drives are not regular drives in those laptops but instead small memory chip things that may or may not be soldered in:-(

All in one computers... oh boy well don't scratch the screen while working on it.

Windows 10 makes things a lot worse for nothing really. I don't know how some people can get one of those really stuck on stupid win10 machines to boot again except they edit windows files on the machine with another computer or environment. So far we know macrocrap does not care if win10 messes up.

Perhaps an in place upgrade is what your looking for, walk thru on tenforums, but it appears that its launched from within windows so if you cant boot into windows may not be of any help:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

You could also try "last known good configuration" option

https://neosmart.net/wiki/booting-into-last-known-good-configuration/

Some other methods for safe mode:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

6 hours ago, Imperfection said:

Perhaps an in place upgrade is what your looking for, walk thru on tenforums, but it appears that its launched from within windows so if you cant boot into windows may not be of any help:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

You could also try "last known good configuration" option

https://neosmart.net/wiki/booting-into-last-known-good-configuration/

Some other methods for safe mode:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

7 hours ago, Zor2k13 said:

Don't you just wuuuuuuv windows 10?

You can do dropbox or some other cloud based file storage for backups or just plug in one of those usb things that most people don't even recognize anymore and save your files there. When something like this happens you have to be ready for it.

If you have a desktop you can easily take your drive out and read it from another pc copy your files off there or just plug in one of those usb boot drives and boot from that copy your files off without having to remove any hard drives. Laptop same but some laptops are not user serviceable friendly and it becomes a real chore just to take out the drive. Some drives are not regular drives in those laptops but instead small memory chip things that may or may not be soldered in:-(

All in one computers... oh boy well don't scratch the screen while working on it.

Windows 10 makes things a lot worse for nothing really. I don't know how some people can get one of those really stuck on stupid win10 machines to boot again except they edit windows files on the machine with another computer or environment. So far we know macrocrap does not care if win10 messes up.

On 12/13/2019 at 8:02 PM, 2dk2c.2 said:

They don't make it easy, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/0xc000021-code-automatic-repair-loop/deb1721c-b22b-4185-8051-3e18877f21c6 is useless. 

Just in case you are very lucky, (just in case), set your BIOS settings to the slowest. If you can do it easily, test your memory (but that's usually useless too)

if you have maybe 4gb*2 memory, remove one of them (question is, which one)

And if you're not so lucky, your power-supply or your disk drive are going bad.

If you ever get back to normal, besides the obvious (doing a backup) something is either failing or getting corrupted.

They used to have an in-place upgrade, but most people can't use it. But if you could, you could keep the apps.

I don't consider myself helpful but I've fixed a few PC's in the past.

If there was a way to spend $50 for a new drive, install windows, do most of the above (especially the part about checking your disk drive)

then unplugging the new drive and eventually using it to backup your system, that might help too.

Thank you very much to you all guys, very appreciated your help, unfortunately non of these suggestion worked for me, i've tried everything i could, even tried to boot windows from a bootable USB (even followed a tutorial on how to make a right bootable USB), but when i try it gives me another error "Wimfsf.sys" so it seems i cannot even boot from a USB device, i'm still researching for this.... i think the only thing now is to completely reset the PC (hope it'll fix the problem).

Just one last question, if i choose to reset the pc but keeping the files and documents, will this preserve the data folder (where mods are installed) and all its files inside my skyrim directory? Or it will delete the game application and all the files inside it?

EDIT: OK i'm managing to rescue all my entire skyrim folders and mods, i've opened the command prompt and runned Notepad.exe, this way i've been able to open the file explorer and navigate through the folders, now i'm sending all the files to the Hard disk and so at least i've saved my skyrim folder, that's good....

Really thanks again for your time guys :)

Glad to hear you have recovered your important data!

Reset PC by description says "The Reset This PC tool keeps your personal files (if that's what you want to do), removes any software you have installed, and then completely re-installs Windows." so it depends on where you installed Skyrim, if in Program Files folder then prob will get blown away if outside that structure then might get preserved. But based on the errors you have i would flatten the system and clear all partitions and do a clean install to make sure you are working with a good baseline. Make sure you have latest BIOS and drivers for your hardware, make sure UEFI is setup correctly in BIOS and secure boot is disabled until after reinstall is complete.

Then backup, backup, backup ?

Good luck!

Archived