Baby Hatch

View File

BABY HATCH

With this mod you can bring babies that your household can't care for, be it gameplay or story reasons, to a baby hatch, essentially removing them from your household but be assured that they will be well cared for.

The mod doesn't actually contain a lot/object where your sims have to physically place their baby. Instead, it's an immediate interaction on the baby/bassinet that you, the player, can click on any time.

For the option to show up, both the sim you are currently controlling and the baby have to be in the same active household owning the lot you are currently at. This should prevent you from just removing other families' babies. You will get a popup asking if you really want to remove the baby, in case you click the interaction by accident.

The baby will be removed instantly if you click "OK", but will stay in the family tree and in the social relationships panel (it is moved to a hidden household). My mod wasn't designed to ever get your baby back, but apparently sims grow up in the hidden household and can later be invited over. You'd have to look elsewhere for adoption, though.

REQUIREMENTS
- Sims 4 version 1.58 or above
- Sims 4 Community Library, version 1.0.17 or above, by ColonolNutty; used for dialogs and notifications (and as it's already there, also using its interaction injection and logging features)

INSTALLATION
- Install the Sims 4 Community Library according to its installation instructions
- Put "baby_hatch.package" and "baby_hatch.ts4script" either directly in your mod folder or in a subfolder (but at most one level deep, i.e. don't put it in a subfolder of a subfolder!)

- You need to enable script mods in you game settings

TROUBLESHOOTING/FAQ

Q1: The option "Deposit in Baby Hatch" doesn't show up!
A1: Make sure the baby is at home and in the active household (i.e. it shows up in the list of sims in the bottom left corner). Have you installed the newest version of the community library and enabled scrip mods?

Q2: I click on "Deposit in Baby Hatch", but nothing happens!
A2: Please provide a log. Enable logging by typing "s4clib.enable_log baby_hatch" (without quotes) into the cheat console. Send me the file "baby_hatch_Messages.txt" and/or "baby_hatch_Exception.txt" from your "The Sims 4" Documents-folder (the folder that also contains the "Mods"-folder).

Q3: I can use cheats / manage worlds for the same effect!
A3: Yes, you can. However, I prefer a simple, somewhat immersive in-game interaction. Though I have to admit that the "immersive" part so far only includes a fitting name and removal of the "New Baby" buff.

Q4: Can I get the baby back?
A4: The mod hasn't been designed for it, but because the baby is moved to a hidden household, it will eventually grow up. If your relationship hasn't declined so far that it has been culled, you can then invite them over. My mod won't feature re-adding them to your hosehold, you need to look elsewhere for that.
With MCCC, you can supposedly make the baby be adopted by a household of your choosing. That way you have less risk of losing it for good.

On the other hand, if you don't want to lose the baby, maybe don't bring it to a baby hatch in the first place.

Q5: The poor baby!
A5: It will be well cared for in an offmap empire. No worries.

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS/THANKS

- Thanks to @ColonolNutty for the Sims 4 Community Library, without it I would probably still trying to figure out how to do basic stuff

- Scripting-tutorial and PyCharm-setup: http://sims4studio.com/thread/15145/started-python-scripting-updated

- Combine Interactions with Scripting: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=4710110#post4710110

- Of course, various tools and their creators, especially Sims 4 Studio

During development, I also had a look at the following mods, though I don't even know if I gained any insight while studying them:

- Show Sim Info by itasan2: http://modthesims.info/d/576053/show-search-sim-info-mod.html

- Miscarriage by LittleMsSam: https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/175409258158/miscarriage-chance-abortion-more-miscarriage

A very small tutorial, but explains how to extract all game tunings, that you can search for objects/interactions, by Tatiana: https://simscommunity.info/2015/10/28/the-sims-4-mods-101-how-to-make-a-mod/

For coding, best bet is to look at EA's implementation of cheat commands in the decompiled python sources, especially if they do something similar to what you want to achieve.

FUTURE PLANS no promises

- Maybe icons, general user experience stuff

- Options, especially whether or not the baby should be kept in the family tree and in the social relationships panel.
- Buffs/debuffs, depending on traits.
- An actual animated interaction

PERMISSIONS
- Don't reupload, no matter where
- If you want to change something, you can do so for your personal use.
- If the mod breaks, and you fix it while I'm seemingly absent (PM me first!), feel free to upload it in the thread of the original mod.
- If you want the mod changed or enhanced, contact me. If I feel you'd do a better job at developing it further, I might hand it over to you.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    09/08/2019
  • Category
  • Requires
    The Sims 4 Community Library >= 1.0.17

• 4 years later...