Baby Hatch

nugerumon

I'd like to have quasi-immersive way to get rid of babies in my game.

There is, of course, the option to kill it with MCCC, or remove it from the household via manage worlds, but that isn't immersive at all.

I originally thought about a World Repopulation Program, but it wouldn't need to be so complicated.

I guess the simplest way would be a Baby Hatch. Click on Baby -> deposit in Baby Hatch -> baby is removed from household (and in good care in an offmap empire).

Does someone know of such a mod?

Or something similar?

I'd do it myself but apparently I'm too stupid to even add an interaction to an object. If anyone knows of a working, up-to-date tutorial, be so kind and let me know.

Spoiler

Edit: After a whole day of poking a rock with a stick, I believe I saw a spark somewhere in the distance. Might be coincidence, might be progress. You never know. Anyway, I now have an interaction in game that destroys the baby object when canceled (the interaction won't finish on its own). Unfortunately, just destroying the object still leaves it in the sim selection thingy at the bottom left, and it generally seems a bad idea, but if I still feel motivated tomorrow, I might have a look at how to make some magic scripts that fix all the remaining problems.

It's a bit lonely with only myself* in here, but anyway, I made a little progress and have an interaction that removes the baby from the household, and it seems to behave well enough that it doesn't cause major error spam.

However, it's player-directed (i.e. no sim needs to actually go to the baby), and it's instant - meaning if you accidentally click it, the baby is gone.

That is, in my opinion, no state to release a mod in, so I intended to make some kind of confirmation dialog before the baby vanishes, but that refuses to work. While I also made an interaction that shows such a dialog, I can't find out how to actually call my scripted function if the player clicks on "OK". If anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear them.

Might make a release anyway on sunday. Look forward to it, every-no-one* who's watching! ?

*) No offense, TDA.

Spoiler

<V n="outcome" t="single">
    <U n="single">
      <U n="actions">
        <L n="basic_extras">
          <V t="do_command">
            <U n="do_command">
              <L n="arguments">
                <V t="participant" />
              </L>
              <T n="command">this_command</T>
            </U>
          </V>
        </L>
      </U>
    </U>
  </V>
  <V n="confirmation_dialog" t="enabled">
    <U n="enabled">
      <U n="dialog">
        <V n="dialog" t="ok_cancel">
          <U n="ok_cancel">
            <V n="text" t="single">
              <T n="single">0x1AC5545E></T>
            </V>
            <V n="title" t="enabled">
              <T n="enabled">0x0E182E59</T>
            </V>
          </U>
        </V>
      </U>
    </U>
  </V>

Any ideas why this_command runs when the confirmation dialog part is removed, but refuses to run if it's in?

I would prefer to have the confirmation in python code but there it feels like I'm even farther to figuring out how it is supposed to work.

And I haven't even looked into how to make a notification to inform the player what the script did.

Archived