When did we become a "It's not YOUR fault" society?

Kamen Rider Kuuga

I'm a fat fuck. I accept this. I know it's my fault for not doing exercise, eating right, whatever. But these days, it seems like fat fucks like me, and society in general, are shying away from assigning the blame on them.

"It's not YOUR fault", they say, "it's the fault of fast food companies selling cheap, fatty foods."

Or having too much to do so you can't exercise, being told to clean your plate as a child, companies putting too much stuff in package that you buy, having a desk job, evolution, your parents, hormones that supposedly don't flow when you're full so you don't feel full, healthy foods are too expensive, what have you.

When did it become the responsibility of a company to make sure you don't stuff your fat fuck face with cookies? Why is it a fast food chains responsibility to offer health alternatives? Why is it the fault of everybody else when YOU MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES but can't seem to live with the negative consequences?

I'm a fat fuck. I accept this. I know it's my fault for not doing exercise' date=' eating right, whatever. But these days, it seems like fat fucks like me, and society in general, are shying away from assigning the blame on them.

"It's not YOUR fault", they say, "it's the fault of fast food companies selling cheap, fatty foods."

Or having too much to do so you can't exercise, being told to clean your plate as a child, companies putting too much stuff in package that you buy, having a desk job, evolution, your parents, hormones that supposedly don't flow when you're full so you don't feel full, healthy foods are too expensive, what have you.

When did it become the responsibility of a company to make sure you don't stuff your fat fuck face with cookies? Why is it a fast food chains responsibility to offer health alternatives? Why is it the fault of everybody else when YOU MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES but can't seem to live with the negative consequences?

[/quote']

late 80s early 90s when lawsuits heavily picked up for stupid reasons.

Otherwise it was all of that self esteem 'everyone NEEDS to feel good' bullshit.

It's meaningless if there's no reason to actually feel good, and quite patronizing to boot.

Because everything is a disease nowadays, which means more drugs being given out, which means more MONEY. It's all a marketing scam, they just want your money and make you think that there is an easy way out, just buy this and take it and you will lose weight / stop smoking / stop drinking, etc...

Until people realize that only hard work is going to get you better, nothing will change. It's going to suck and it's going to be hard, but you are going to feel great about yourself when you reach your goal. Drugs don't work, only hard work and determination. The drugs companies don't like that because hard work and determination doesn't make them any money.

George Carlin did a good job of explaining these types of things' date=' he talked about the self-esteem movement and about how Americans are willing to trade their freedom for the illusion of an improvement

[/quote']

"They call it the American Dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it."

I'm a fat fuck. I accept this. I know it's my fault for not doing exercise' date=' eating right, whatever. But these days, it seems like fat fucks like me, and society in general, are shying away from assigning the blame on them.

[/quote']

First, stop thinking of yourself as a fat fuck, or by extension including anyone and everyone with a weight problem under that banner. I'll stick to answering your actual question, but part of the answer to your question lies directly in that first sentence. That's the first hurdle you need to clear before anything else can happen. It's what everyone with a weight problem needs to do. Stop thinking of yourself as a bad person just because you like to eat. Everyone likes to eat, which is a good thing, because if we didn't we'd starve to death.

That's not to say you or anyone else should just eat themselves to death. Yes, a lot of the blame can and should be placed on the person who keeps shoveling 99¢ burgers into their mouth while never exercising, and recognizing your role in your own health is vital to change. You can control what you eat and how much exercise you get. No one is putting a gun to your head.

What they are doing, however, is providing you with no reasonably priced healthy alternative while sneaking cheap crap past you under the guise of nutrition. For years none of the major fast food chains posted the nutritional value of their food, and if they did it was on some tiny plaque hidden off to the side somewhere. Some billed their food as healthy when it wasn't. Others used legal loopholes to sell you stuff that wasn't even what you thought you were buying. Hell, look at the recent Taco Bell meat scandal. Suddenly you find people scrambling to find a legal definition of the word beef. It's ridiculous.

No, you don't have to eat there. Obviously. You can go buy your beef or chicken or orange juice or apples at a grocery store, because at least you know the stuff they sell you is all natural. Oh wait.

The majority of people who sue fast food companies aren't blaming them for the part they themselves can control. True, there's certainly people out there who do that, and those are lazy people who just want to squeeze a company for some quick millions. But the ones who have a legit grievance with a food company are the ones pointing out the deception that has been going on for decades. It's not just irresponsible, it's intentional and it's wrong. Being verbal about it and holding them accountable for it is the only way things will ever change.

We're finally at a point where public opinion on this sort of thing is becoming a problem for the companies that want to get away with food murder. The second any deception is perceived, it gets thrown around the web and there's an outcry over it. Sometimes it's bullshit, like with warning labels on cigarettes (Yes, it's bad to breathe smoke. Fucking duh.), but sometimes it's a real reason to be upset and so we get verbal about it. It's getting to where it's in a company's best interest to sell something healthier, even if it hurts their wallets just a tiny bit.

But note I said healthier, not healthy. You could chug a bottle of lard and it would be healthier than some of the so-called "healthy" fast food out there. It's nice to see McDonald's start selling apple slices and milk with their Happy Meals, but it's baby steps when what we need are giant leaps. What people really need is access to food that is actually healthy and free of processed chemicals and/or sneaky secret ingredients. The links I posted above are only a few of the examples I could show you where companies have used legal trickery to make you think you're buying something you're not.

So long story...made slightly longer, you're right about personal responsibility, it plays a huge role in determining your pants size. Making healthy choices is vital, but it won't matter how much you jog or how many calories you count if you're still eating crap. Unless we hold food companies accountable for what they sell us and make sure we know we're eating something that is actually healthy, it's still a case of garbage in, garbage out.

Drugs don't work' date=' only hard work and determination.

[/quote']

It's all situational, some drugs work on some things, but otherwise yes it IS about hard work and determination.

First' date=' stop thinking of yourself as a fat fuck, or by extension including anyone and everyone with a weight problem under that banner. I'll stick to answering your actual question, but part of the answer to your question lies directly in that first sentence. That's the first hurdle you need to clear before anything else can happen. It's what everyone with a weight problem needs to do. Stop thinking of yourself as a bad person just because you like to eat. Everyone likes to eat, which is a good thing, because if we didn't we'd starve to death.

[/quote']

He knows what he looks like naked.

If he choose to call himself a fat fuck there's no reason in the world why he shouldnt.

Better if he's open and honest about it, rather than pretending he's not having weight issues and REALLY letting it spiral out control.

First' date=' stop thinking of yourself as a fat fuck, or by extension including anyone and everyone with a weight problem under that banner. I'll stick to answering your actual question, but part of the answer to your question lies directly in that first sentence. That's the first hurdle you need to clear before anything else can happen. It's what everyone with a weight problem needs to do. Stop thinking of yourself as a bad person just because you like to eat. Everyone likes to eat, which is a good thing, because if we didn't we'd starve to death.

[/quote']

He knows what he looks like naked.

If he choose to call himself a fat fuck there's no reason in the world why he shouldnt.

Better if he's open and honest about it, rather than pretending he's not having weight issues and REALLY letting it spiral out control.

There's a huge difference between having the wisdom to say "I have a weight problem and need to do something about it" and the low self esteem to say "I'm a fat fuck and that makes me a loser". I'm not saying he shouldn't recognize his own problem, I'm saying calling himself names isn't going to help. In fact, it's only going to make him feel worse than he needs to and contribute to the low self esteem he apparently already has. Plus he implied that anyone with a weight problem is also a fat fuck, which is insulting to anyone and everyone who happens to be overweight (and no, I'm not taking this personally, I'm actually very skinny).

At the root of the "not my fault" BS is simple laziness. It really isn't a mystery, or at least it shouldn't be, it is far easier to blame others than take responsibility for your actions. If you take responsibility for your actions then you are pushing yourself toward actually doing something about it. If you just blame someone else then you can blow it off and go on your merry way. Pretty simple when you break it down to its core.

Kash, I think you're the one centering on the fat fuck thing, not me. It was something I said in passing, then moved on to answer his actual question. I didn't feel the need to elaborate until you brought it up. I could go off on how I feel about the whole "fat fuck" thing, but I didn't because it wasn't important to the thread. Table it for now or harp on it more, it's up to you.

And by the way, the health of the food you eat does indeed matter. Let's say you need to lose weight, so you start exercising. If you're eating crap, your body isn't properly fueling itself. You'll constantly feel tired and sick, and you won't be as inclined to continue exercising. Trust me, I know. I've been there. Your body needs foods that are high in protein and fiber, low in saturated fats and complex carbohydrates. And you can cut out sugar entirely. Natural sugars from fruits and vegetables more than make up for it.

One food I can't recommend enough is quinoa (pronounced keen-wah), a very healthy grain-like food high in protein with no fat. This is perfect for people who object to eating meat. It's not the most tasty of foods, but there's a ton of healthy recipes out there that add a nice flavor to an otherwise bland side dish.

I stand by my point that a majority of those suing fast food companies are doing it for legit reasons, but I never said it wasn't the responsibility of the individual to make healthy choices. It does ultimately come down to you and how you feel about yourself. Change starts with you.

I call bullshit, if a fatass gets fat for eating at McDonalds it's is own damned fault.

I say this as a fatass that used to eat there way too much.

As for weight loss, instead of going for silly veggy diets, just stop drinking coke (or soda/pop/whatever it's called where you live) and you'll drop pounds without changing anything else, propper diet and a little exercise and portion control will accelerate that even more.

While exercise certainly will not hurt most folks, it has almost nothing to do with weight loss. The reason for this is the average person just can't spend the time necessary to make a real difference with exercise. It is a common misconception that burns many folks out. It is better to loose weight FIRST, then start working out as you will see muscle tone more readily and that can help you stick with it.

The secret to weight loss boils down to eating quality foods and above all PORTION CONTROL! Portion control is why most folks fail. Their eyes are bigger than their will and the longer they take to act, the harder it is to combat. Quality foods don't have to be all veggies. I eat a F'ton of steak, fish and chicken. I do have salads, green beans and broccoli as all three go great with steak! :)

On the note of fast food, I believe zero lawsuits against them have the slightest bit of merit. Each and every single one of those suits should be dismissed, and forced to reimburse the court and fast food industry for wasting everyone's time.

Why you ask? If someone is too dense to not know that fast food was not healthy then they deserve their fate. I hold similar views on smokers. If you can't fathom that sucking SMOKE into your lungs is a bad thing then you shouldn't be out of doors without a keeper. You certainly won't get any sympathy from me anyway.

Now before you throw the book at me as just another skinny guy who is prejudiced towards the heavy, you need to know that in my late twenties and early thirties I was 50+ pounds overweight. Which was really ridiculous as I was skinny as a stick from childhood through my mid twenties. I got promoted from a field position to an office and I continued to shovel food\pop\beer in my mouth like I was still doing manual labor in the field. Couple that with my metabolism finally slowing down and it was a disaster movie in the making. I finally had to get off my lazy ass and decide that enough was enough. Over the course of 5 months I lost the weight and have kept it off for a decade now. I figure if I can do then others can to. They just have to roll up their sleeves and decide as I did, that they aren't going to put it off until tomorrow.

You know how I can tell no one clicked on any of the links I posted?

I'm not defending the people who gorge themselves on fast food and blame the companies when they get fat. I'm defending the people who have legit claims against them for blatant false advertisement and shady business deals. I'm not saying they're not eating crap. I'm saying everyone is eating crap. It's in everything. Unless you shop exclusively at a farmer's market, you're eating food that's been chemically processed and injected with god knows what else. It's not wrong to hold food companies accountable for their lies. You'd do the same with any other company, and you know it.

I'm not saying people with more fat than brain cells don't exist. I'm not saying there aren't fraudulent claims from people who are seeking to make an easy million or ten. I'm saying look harder at the facts before making a snap judgement based on how you feel about someone's dress size. You think you know everything you need to know about them just by looking at their gut, but you don't know shit.

I'm glad gregathit brought up smoking. I detest smoking because I know from personal experience that smoking kills. I lost my grandfather to it, and the quality of his life was piss poor to the extreme. Everyone knows smoking is bad for you, the same way we all know fast food is bad for you. But you know what I never see? I never see people react to smokers the way I see most people react to someone being overweight. God, it's like you're offended they exist. No one makes fun of smokers behind their backs or to their face. Kids don't smack cigarette's out of a girl's hand and call her names, like I've seen some kids do with a fat girl and a sandwich. Smokers don't post forum threads calling themselves "wheezing fucks", and no one rushes to agree with them under the guise of encouraging them to self improve.

Lemme give you a quick mental exercise to see if you're being unfair. Imagine a woman who looks like Angelina Jolie but smokes two packs a day next to a woman who weighs 200 lbs but exercises regularly and eats healthy. Which one is the least attractive to you? Which one are you more likely to insult? If it's the 200 lb girl, then let me ask you another question: What if she weighed 300 lbs last year, and literally worked her ass off to get to that 200?

Because I'd find that 200 lb girl the sexiest bitch I've ever met. To find out she's lost the equivalent weight of one of my students through hard work and determination makes me want to jump her fucking bones. That makes 200 a fucking badge of honor, not something to be ashamed of. As far as I'm concerned, that woman can walk down the street with her head held high, and that chain smoking Angelina look-alike doesn't deserve to even look her in the eye. And I'd defend her to the last if anyone dared to even whisper the words "fat fuck".

So go on. Tell me I'm defending someone who shouldn't be defended. The fact of the matter is you're assuming but you don't know. So maybe...just maybe...we should give people the benefit of the doubt before we assume anything. Because you know what they say about assuming, and it's doubly true of those who assume they're superior to someone else just because they don't eat at McDonald's.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying we hate on, ridicule or otherwise call out fat folk or even smokers for that matter. I just don't think they deserve a bunch of sympathy for something they did to themselves. Like the smoker, the fat person got fat on their own hook. No one held me down and force fed me to get me overweight. It doesn't take many brain cells to understand that if you take in more than you burn off, then it isn't going to work out well for you.

As to your 300 to 200 lbs gal, while I won't ever call a 200 lbs girl sexy, I will high five the shit out of her for dropping 100 lbs and encourage her to continue her journey, as the race has not yet been finished (it isn't over until we die).

While I do believe that any company (food included) should be held accountable for false advertising, I don't ever remember McDonald's claiming that french fries where healthy, nor big mac's. Unless one was born yesterday, you have to have seen the fries being taken out of the hot oil over at the big D (if you already didn't know it from cooking up your own). It makes no sense for someone to claim that they are huge because they "thought" McDonald's was in any way, shape or form healthy.

Now as to your comments about food being processed until anything redeeming about it is killed 17 times over, you are dead right. Few folks think white bread is healthy anymore and often choose wheat bread. Few know that it is just as shitty for you as white bread due again to them processing the crap out of the flour. All of this is done so to extend shelf life. The only decent breads are the whole grain ones. Many foods you might think of as healthy are ruined in this same way just to get a longer shelf life. As Queen Bee is saying, you need to do some digging and find out for yourself what really is in what you are eating.

Thank you, gregathit, I understand your points a bit clearer now. And I'm glad you see mine better than I had thought.

Bacon, I'm sorry, you're right that we're getting sidetracked. I tried not to let it happen. I only meant I didn't want you to wallow in self pity since it's not going to help you any. If you're so tired of being overweight, you need to build yourself up with the positive rather than negative. It's like matter and anti-matter; if the two meet they'll cancel each other out. You'd never accept such poor treatment from someone else, so don't accept it from yourself. You need to say "I'm worth changing for" and really mean it, then make serious changes based on that. Stick with it. Seriously. Stick to it like your life depends on it. Because it just might.

• 2 months later...

While exercise certainly will not hurt most folks, it has almost nothing to do with weight loss. The reason for this is the average person just can't spend the time necessary to make a real difference with exercise. It is a common misconception that burns many folks out. It is better to loose weight FIRST, then start working out as you will see muscle tone more readily and that can help you stick with it.

I disagree; working out as a fat guy can give you great boost - sure you can exercise with weights attached to your limbs, but it less comfortable and damage skin. Plus you do burn more when you exercise and it also speed up metabolism even after training. Also, gaining muscle waight  is much easier when you are naturally fat.

Archived