Creation Kit won't allow me to change npc's hair

4 hours ago, RW311 said:

Difference of hair.nif and hairline.nif,.. nm yatol already explained this. Some hair and hairline head part will have different transparency settings to

the nif called hairline (that is called that because skyrim extraheadpart is called hairline, it's not an hairline), it's that you see thought the transparent hair, to not see the head or hair from other side

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36510

36510-2-1369779502.jpg

vanilla hair edges...

36510-1-1369806396.jpg

well... gaming hairs that sacrifice quality for performance

190606071904602479.jpg

you can make edges less crappier with stronger transparency

190606072310751261.jpg

stronger transparency... you can see thought the meshe now

if that "hairline" nif was just hair nif with less transparency, better edge from transparent hair would be hide by crappy edge from less transparent hair

both mesh look about the same, so to see whatever was done... you have to compare in blender or 3dmax

maybe some face were flip, to have transparent hair on the edges, don't know

there's too many hairs to bother making a performance version of the meshe to see thought the transparent hair

if someone have time to waste, you merge head with body

expand that up to hair meshe

delete what wasn't expand

bake hair texture to that meshe

but with hairs that don't have the same hair textures... you get one more texture per hairline... 2.5mb, kinda kill the purpose

easier and faster to just give the same texture to all those hairs to reduce performance waste

19 hours ago, HanzoHasashiX said:

Wait, so just to be clear, we're supposed to transfer over both the hair and hairline nifs? Also, is there a way to retain the color of the hair that originally came with the follower? I like the follower's hair color, just not the hair style.

hair meshe bsligthing shader

that have hair tint

under that, there is hair color, red x green y blue z

put that in replacer hair mesh

that stuff shouldn't be used by skyrim.exe

190606085555977617.jpg

abracadabra

190606085619902498.jpg

hair is still blond

I am still a bit confused on what is the hairline and what to copy over and what to not copy. the nif on the right is the hair I want, and the hair on the left is the follower's original hair. What do I do if the follower has two hairlines, and the hair I want only has one? Also, what is a "NiTriStrips"? Do I need to copy that over as well?nifcomparison1fixed.png.ad892a4dd81a6a19b5a88eebde143c95.png

Yes you need both hair mesh as they both make up the head part.  If your hair you are using as replacement only has 2 head parts for hair then don't worry about that other one,  leave all existing nitrishapes or strips in the nif or you can end up with nif failing to load in game so you have brown head bug. If you were using hiar mesh that didn't cover that "scalp" part and looked very bad then you would want to find another one from hair meshes or you would need to do some creative editing to the npc mod in the head parts so the game didn't go looking for that head part when npc was loaded.

In nifskope menu,  click help and check the interactive help it will give a description of what you select.

10 hours ago, RW311 said:

Yes you need both hair mesh as they both make up the head part.  If your hair you are using as replacement only has 2 head parts for hair then don't worry about that other one,  leave all existing nitrishapes or strips in the nif or you can end up with nif failing to load in game so you have brown head bug. If you were using hiar mesh that didn't cover that "scalp" part and looked very bad then you would want to find another one from hair meshes or you would need to do some creative editing to the npc mod in the head parts so the game didn't go looking for that head part when npc was loaded.

In nifskope menu,  click help and check the interactive help it will give a description of what you select.

So if I'm going to leave the nitristrips in do I need to change its name to something else, or do I leave it as is when I transfer it over?

18 minutes ago, HanzoHasashiX said:

So if I'm going to leave the nitristrips in do I need to change its name to something else, or do I leave it as is when I transfer it over?

and why do you want to mess with that?

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/4132090-convert-nitristrips-to-nitrishape/

as for the blabla nitristrips vs nitrishape...

hdd bottleneck, go nitristrips

cpu bottleneck, go nitrishape

nitristrips, you have list of points (500 vertice mesh, 500 points, 1500 triangles)

nitrishape, with tool triangulate, you have a list of 3 vertices (a 1m nif become 1.05mb maybe, no longer matter) (500 vertice mesh, 1000 triangles in the list)

purpose of nitrishape? x y z is the same as z y x, so you have one in the list, and the other options are ignored

There is no reason to copy that 2nd extra part (nitristrips) because it does not exist in the head part data the npc is set to use. I don't know if it would fail to load facegen or just ignore the extra tri files.

10 hours ago, RW311 said:

There is no reason to copy that 2nd extra part (nitristrips) because it does not exist in the head part data the npc is set to use. I don't know if it would fail to load facegen or just ignore the extra tri files.

I thought you said to leave all existing nitristrips or shapes in the nif or the nif will fail to load? Also I've tried it with the nitristrips in, and without them, but the game keeps crashing to desktop whenever I go to the building where the modified npc is located. I've also tried calling her to me with console commands, and there's still no luck.

1 hour ago, HanzoHasashiX said:

I thought you said to leave all existing nitristrips or shapes in the nif or the nif will fail to load? Also I've tried it with the nitristrips in, and without them, but the game keeps crashing to desktop whenever I go to the building where the modified npc is located. I've also tried calling her to me with console commands, and there's still no luck.

Copy over hair and hairhl, rename them to match original hair and hairhl, remove originals.  If facegen doesn't have that extra part head part don't add one this is not how to do that.

1 hour ago, RW311 said:

Copy over hair and hairhl, rename them to match original hair and hairhl, remove originals.  If facegen doesn't have that extra part head part don't add one this is not how to do that.

I did do that, but it still crashes whenever I go to the location the follower is at. Just to be clear, do I need to start a new game when I am doing this?

No none of that is stored in save. Crashing when entering cell of npc would indicate problem with nif, missing bone or something was not right.

Check if npc will load with original facegen.nif if it will not then you  know if problem is with some other changes you made or may have left over from your earlier attempts or if it wil load problem is with edits to the nif file.

On 6/9/2019 at 3:43 PM, RW311 said:

No none of that is stored in save. Crashing when entering cell of npc would indicate problem with nif, missing bone or something was not right.

Check if npc will load with original facegen.nif if it will not then you  know if problem is with some other changes you made or may have left over from your earlier attempts or if it wil load problem is with edits to the nif file.

is there a way to do something about the bone issue? also is there a guide on how to use interactive help?

I can't say for sure but I am not confident with using the head parts from one facegen to another because they were probably altered.  You can try another hair mesh you have source files for and see if that works to rule it out or just post a pic of the npc with the hair you want in request and find section someone will probably recognize it.

On 6/12/2019 at 1:05 AM, RW311 said:

I can't say for sure but I am not confident with using the head parts from one facegen to another because they were probably altered.  You can try another hair mesh you have source files for and see if that works to rule it out or just post a pic of the npc with the hair you want in request and find section someone will probably recognize it.

I took your advice and tried to send out an identification request on the hair a while ago, but I don't think anyone will be able to find it, so is there any way I can go about telling if what exactly is causing the facegen to fail? Like some kind of log or something of the sort?

4 hours ago, HanzoHasashiX said:

Oh! Would it be possible to make the original hair nif to appear to be invisible, so then I could just put the hair I want on top of the original one without it loading all messed up? Or would that not work?

so you want to use something like my spell hair to replace original hair with something else, because you fail to replace the hair nif?

you fail to copy paste some meshes, easy stuff, so you go for skse function replaceheadpart? that require messing with scripts?

script hair extend active effect

formlist property formhairlong auto

int x =0

int day

even on load

if x ==0

int i = random(0, max(formhairlong)

headpart original = npc.getheadpart(hair) / or something like that

npc.replaceheadpart(original,formhairlong(i))

i=10

endif

if day != game.day / or whatever it is

day=game.day

i=i-1

endif

endevent

that script (you have to look for crap kit function to get that right, or a post where i have copy paste the .psc i didn't bother looking for again) pick a random long hair for a npc the first time she is are load, then pick another one 10 different days later (because why not)

that work on all npcs because i have renumber femalehairnord01, femalehairbreton05, femalehairimperial04... to femalehairnord01, that was renamed hair, same for hair mods

and replacing "hair" with "hair", game find hair in the head nif, game load the head nif, then replace "hair" with "hair", instead of regenerating head nif with the new headpart

Yeah, that does sound pretty complicated, so it's a good thing I finally figured out what I was doing wrong! It turns out I was pasting the branches in the wrong place! When everyone said all I had to do was copy, paste, then rename, that's all I figured I had to do. I had no clue that I needed to specifically make sure to paste the branch onto a specific space! Good old trial and error never fails I guess! and it only took me over half a month to figure this out too! I am very grateful to everyone who has been offering me advice even though I'm a bird brain! Thanks everyone!

Archived