Messing around with GECK. Help!

kermit24

Yesterday i decided to start modding with GECK and i'm a total beginner in modding, so forgive me potential stupidness :D

What i tried was to change some of the withdrawal effects which jet, mentats etc. cause, so far, so good.

I wanted to make the effects far more harming, as example: Mentats crippling the head and jet crippling the legs + some healthdamage.

First everything worked like i imagined, but when i tried to set the magnitude for head-/leg-damage to a higher value than 1, then the effect remains on 1 head-damage instead of crippling it or seriously

injuring it.

The healthdamage doesn't even occur.

My approach was to edit the existing withdrawal effects by adding the mentioned effects to them. I tried varying durations and conditions (copied from similar effects) for the added effects, but nothing worked for me.

So i ask for some advice, if anyone has a clue what i'm doing wrong :D

Ths might have something to do with the flags on base effects. Flags like 'no duration' or 'no magnitude' on base effects mean exactly that, and 'reduce' effects aren't the same as 'damage' effects. Base effects that aren't flagged as 'self' will also probably not work.

Other than that, there's not much to go on for more concrete advice. A few screenies might help.

Ths might have something to do with the flags on base effects. Flags like 'no duration' or 'no magnitude' on base effects mean exactly that, and 'reduce' effects aren't the same as 'damage' effects. Base effects that aren't flagged as 'self' will also probably not work.

Other than that, there's not much to go on for more concrete advice. A few screenies might help.

i checked the base effect and if i'm not mistaken, they seem right:

lg94J.jpg

then i added the effect to the mentats withdrawal effect

Iyx7Q.jpg

after that i tested it and it works so far

yC7Jc.jpg

s6uqc.jpg

but if i increase the magnitude of the head-damage effect now, it stays on 1 damage when i'm testing it.

Any idea? Or is there already an mistake i did?

Edit:

If you go to the website link in the top of GECK it has some pretty good explanations of things in the wiki there.

http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Main_Page

Thank you, this was the first site i browsed when encountering my problems, but i'm either too noobish to understand everthing right or the information there are too general :D

The wiki can be a little sparse on intel, for sure.

A base 'damage head' effect with magnitude X & duration 0 should work, it's the way robobrains do their attack. But many things that should don't, and this might have something to do with the nature of addictions, which I've never tampered with (robobrains have it as a weapon enchantment instead). Have you tried magnitude 1 & duration X? Magnitude x & duration 1?

If none of that works, you could add an effect script to the withdrawal actor effect that casts a new actor effect (a regular spell) with your damage head base effect in it.

Like:

scn Yourscriptname

Begin ScriptEffectStart

cios YourNewActorEffectID

End [/Code]

First: Thanks for your help :)

I tried magnitude 1 & duration 10 and it finally works, though i first didn't noticed because it takes some time :D

Healthdamage works the same way but that was too good to be true, when i try to wait/sleep i get the message "not possible while taking healthdamage". Wouldn't be a problem but i get this message even when i'm completly drugged up and the withdrawal is far away from kicking in.

Any suggestion how to solve this?

Edit: Do you think your script-solution for the damage-effect would encouter the same problem?

Well, maybe it's even more realistic if it takes more time to mess your head up.

The health damage though...

Maybe you should try using a 'reduce health' rather than a 'damage health' base effect. You'll probably have to make it yourself, so flag as 'detrimental' and 'recover', the same way 'reduce charisma' etc work. That'll pretty much function as a 'drain health' if you're familiar with TES. Maybe that doesn't stop you from waiting/sleeping. The difference is perhaps that the damage ones are flagged as 'hostile', so strictly speaking the game thinks you're in a combat situation, and stops you from sleeping/waiting/fast travel in the same away it nags you about that when enemies are near.

Maybe you could try making a 'reduce head' instead of a 'damage head' base effect first though. That's probably what keeps the pop-up going.

I'll try that :)

If not, you can try the script, or maybe have a look at existing mods that change addiction? Always good to have a look Wink

The script will be a bit harder i guess, but i won't give up till this damn withrawal effects are really scary :D

Other mods brought me to this idea :P

I found "Jet Classic" and i like it, but it was still not punishing enough. But you're right, i guess i should browse around a bit for mods with effects similar to the ones i want to create.

No one messes around with the geck. The geck messes around with you.

I can already feel this one is true :D

Archived