Animation Tutorial For Skyrim NEAT! (SE WIP)

So this is mostly a copy paste of what I have so far from the Oldrim section (with some edits). I figured I'd paste it here to help others who may be interested and don't go back and check the Oldrim section. It's still a heavy WIP (although it should work great for animation replacers now, just not adding additional ones), but I'll be working on it on and off now that I have more time for modding. Life events are a little more important that modding an old game, but this is still fun and it's a lot less expensive than working on my house or buying parts for my car.....

This is a WIP tutorial. Currently only the Animation file creation part is done (from blender to a usable .hxk file) This tutorial, when done, will cover the steps required to either replace, or make a NEW animation in Blender, then add it to the game. This is meant to be a FULL tutorial, so steps should be covered from opening blender to seeing the animation play out in game!

Needed Tools:

For simply replacing vanilla animations:

Both Skyrim SE/Oldrim: Blender (I'm using 2.78c)                                                                                        

Both Skyrim SE/Oldrim: Anton's Animation Tools (Specifically the N3 folder, this is the main magic here)

For Skyrim SE: Animation.hkx Conversion for Skyrim Special Edition 

For adding new animations, the additional tools required:

Oldrim only: The Creation Kit                                                                                                 

Oldrim only: FNIS for modders and users (I'm using V6.3)                                                       

Oldrim only: Highly Recommended Skyrim Script Compiler Pro (I'm using SE 4.0.0.0             

For Skyrim SE: The Creation kit For Skyrim SE

For Skyrim SE: FNIS SE for modders

For Skyrim SE: Skyrim SE Script Compiler Pro

Pre-Setup

Download and install all required files. If you are just replacing stock animations, you should be good with just Blender and Anton's Animation Tools (N3). Otherwise install everything and continue to the Animation section below.

I have this section more as a placeholder in case there is any confusion on installation and I need to add something. The default options should work for installing everything, but let me know if there is confusion and I'll try to list it here.

As for Anton's tools. You can place the N3 folder ANYWHERE you want to, just make sure to keep all the contents in this folder in tact! When making an animation, Anton's script will only work when the blender file you are working on is in the "Animation Tools N3" folder and it's opened from that folder! Open the Blender file FROM THIS FOLDER as well, otherwise, you'll get an error saying some files aren't found or something. If you want to save the example_female_UNP (or example_male_vanilla) as a different file (in case you want to have different base files to work off for animation setup), you can! Just save it as whatever you want, just make sure to keep it in the N3 folder for use with his scripts.

What I like to do is take the example files and change the bottom window to the timeline mode, then save again so I don't have to change this every-time.

For Skyrim SE WIP

Navigate to your Skyrim Special Edition/Tools/HavokBehaviorPostProcess folder. Copy the convertoskyrimSE.bat file into this folder. Do NOT put this in your character/animations folder like stated on the download page. Doing so will update all animations every time you try and use this, and it can possibly corrupt files you have already (ask me how I know!) You should have the files HavokBehaviorPostProcess, converttoskyrimSE, UpgradeHavokBehavior in this folder.

By keeping the converttoskyrimSE.bat file in the Skyrim Special Edition/Tools/HavokBehaviorPostProcess folder, can can control which files you convert each time by placing the animation files in this folder.

Helpful tips for Navigating in Blender:

Middle click: This rotates the camera around
Shift + Middle Click: This moves the camera around (translates the view)
Mouse wheel: This zooms in or out

Right click: This selects or unselects objects in the window
Shift + Right click: This allows multiple selection of objects

A: This deselects any selected objects or selects all objects if nothing is selected.

? This brings up a circular selection that allows you to select several objects at once.
     Use the right mouse click when the circle is up to select obejcts under the circle.

H: This hides selected objectes.
Shift + H: This hides all UNSELECTED objects
Alt + H: This unhides all objects

When an object is selected:

R: This changes the movement mode to rotate. Very useful in animation. You can hit "r"
     twice to change the angle of rotation. The rotation angle is based on the current view

G: This "grabs" the object so it can be moved. It's basic translation of the object.

When a bone is selected in Blender, Right clicking AFTER moving the bone will result in cancelling
that movement. LEFT clicking will result in keeping that movement. This movement must still be
keyed on the selected frame is the auto keyframe feature isn't selected!

Animating

1. Open the example_female_UNP (or example_male_vanilla) blender file from the N3 folder.

33191889113_4cdccf49e4_b.jpg
2. Change the bottom window to timeline, then set the frame length, keyframe options,
     and adjust the frameview bar to better see the overall frames. Notice in the object window,
     the mode is in Pose Mode. Keep it this way, this is used for making animations.

33847098272_62880eef63_h.jpg

33847085772_bd8ab44515_h.jpg

2.1 About KeyFrames:

Keyframes are how Blender records the bone movement (or animations).
            When a bones position has keys saved, a yellow line will appear on the frame timeline (as
            long as the bone is selected).
           - The Keyframe LocRot means that the bone location and rotation will be recorded when hitting
             the set keyframe button (or if the auto keyframe button is selected.) I use this keyframe when
             animating since it will cover pretty much everything you need. If for some reason you need bone
             scaling or something else, you can selected LocRotScale or something else. It's probably best to
             leave it at LocRot for now.
           - The auto KeyFrame button will automatically save the bones positions based on the keyframe
             selected (LocRot etc.) for the currently selected frame. This is useful for quickly saving positions
             though animations. You can toggle this on an off whenever you want. It will start saving keys when
             toggled on, and won't do anything when toggled off.
           - The manual keyframe button will save the selected bones keys for the current frame.
           - The clear keyframe button will delete the selected bones saved keys for that frame.

2.2 The frameview bar:

This can be adjusted by selecting one of the dark circles on either end of the bar and dragging out
to make it larger, or in to make it smaller. This isn't necessary, but helps a lot when trying to view the
animation.

3. Start making your animation!

3.1 The motion of the bones will automatically move to the next position between keyframes. So if you
            have the wriste bone keyed to be all the way up in the air at frame 0, then down as low as it can go
            at frame 50, then from frame 0 to 50, it will move from the top to the bottom.

Example animation pictures coming soon!

4. When you are done with your animation, try previewing it as a whole. If you are satisfied, hit the "Run Script"
     button on the script window.

33847083732_f50ac6f518_h.jpg

5. Minimize or close Blender and locate and open the "Convert" Batch file in the "Animation Tools N3" folder.

33161324564_4dc913415e_b.jpg

5.1 Info on files in folder

Notice, then "zBoneKeys" text file will have the "Date Modified" to when the "Run Script" function was
used in Blender. This is important to double check to make sure you ran the script. You don't need to
do anything yourself with this file. It is used to know the bone positions when using the "Convert" batch file.

5.2 You should see the following window pop up:

33963173696_246b9d670a.jpg

6. Type in KFmaker.exe empty.kf zBoneKeys.txt

6.1 Your command prompt window should look something like this after running:

33161323114_1d3d286801.jpg

7a. A file "empty_new.hkx" should be created!

33963172726_4b33bf8085_b.jpg

7b. Skyrim SE step only: Use dnalloh1987's "converttoskyrimSE" .bat file to convert the animation file to a
       compatible Skyrim SE file. I will flesh out this step a little more once I get more organized, but to do this, you'll
       move the animation file to you're steammapps/common/Skyrim Special Edition/Tools/HavokBehaviorPostProcess
       folder (or wherever your main Skyrim SE installation is.) This folder is where you'll have placed the "converttoskyrimSE"
       .bat file. Once you move you animation file you just created to this folder, run the "converttoskyrimSE" file. It should
       only take a fraction of a second. After running the file, move to the next step!

8a. If you're replacing an animation file, rename the "empty_new.hkx" with whatever file you are replacing
        it with. For example, name it "mt_jump.hkx" and place it in the proper folder (folder location should be
        meshes/actors/character/animations) to replace the standard jump animation. There are many animations
        for jumping, so this will just replace that ONE animation.

That's it, this file is now done and ready to replace an exisitng animation. If you are replacing an animation, BE SURE
TO MAKE A BACKUP of that file before in case something goes wrong or you decide you don't like it!

8b. If you are adding a new animation, name the "empty_new.hkx" file whatever you want! This file will be
        placed in the mod's animation folder you are adding it to (either your own mod's folder, or another mod's
        folder if you are editing one of your own.) The mod animation folder will have the folder structure
        meshes/actors/character/animations/MODNAME. You can replace mod animations by following step 8a and
        placing them in the mod folders, or you can add your own. Adding new ones requires FNIS for modders and
        some small (or large, whatever your main goal is) which is explained in the next section.

FNIS Setup (WIP!!)

1. If you are adding animations to another mod, navigate over to the mod's animation folder
        "meshes/actors/character/animations/MODNAME" and paste your new animation into this folder. Remember, it

can be named whatever you want it to be! If you are adding animations to your own mod, navigate over to your

mod's animation folder "meshes/actors/character/animations/MODNAME" and paste your new animation into this folder.

2. Find and open the mod's FNIS text document list "FNIS_MODNAME_List.txt", or create one if it's your own mod. It will look something like this:

image.png.8a20a43dfb0ad3571788a80992670569.png 

Spoiler

2.1 Info on the configuration of the FNIS text files.

- The apostrophe mark ' designates a comment section. This means anything after the ' mark is NOT used in the file. It is useful for references, but not needed in the file.

- The above file only uses the two lines:

b mt_jumpfastback mt_jumpfastback.hkx

b mt_jumpfallback mt_jumpfallback.hkx 

- Everything else in the file is disregarded due to the ' marks.

2.1a In depth info on the text file designations: 

image.png.1b5914e97ed9d69ea5abc7d1743b0235.png

- Above explains some details on how to add animations files to the FNIS text document. In the previous picture, there were the two lines used

b mt_jumpfastback mt_jumpfastback.hkx

b mt_jumpfallback mt_jumpfallback.hkx 

Using the information above (from the FNIS for Modders Documentation), this shows that for the first line

"b" designates the animation being added as a basic animation with one file.

"mt_jumpfastback" is arbitrarily named (by you or the modder) for how skyrim recognizes the animation file

"mt_jumpfastback.hkx" is the actual name of the animation file that you pasted in the folder earlier!

2.1b Example of a custom file

image.png.83bd6a4599dda77c5ee2abd3715b048e.png

- Above is an example of what a FNIS file could look like for someone adding a few simple animations.

In this file, there are 5 new animation files added however, there are 4 new animation sequences Skyrim could play.

- You can see there are 3 basic animations, and 1 sequence animation that is comprised of several animations put together.

- The new animations added are "pushup.hkx", "situp.hkx", jumpingjack.hkx"m "turnover.hkx", and "passout.hkx"

- The new animations sequences skyrim could play are "new_animation", "new_animation2", "new_animation3" and "workoutstart"

However, the "workoutstart" animation sequence has 7 parts which could be played separately. 

- If the "workoutstart" animation sequence is called by skyrim (either script/console command etc.), it is going to play 7 animations,

one after the other. You can see that there are technically only 4 different animations in the sequence, but it's treated as 7 sections.

If these animations were actually made, it would show the actor doing 3 pushups (by the pushup.hkx animation), then switching over to situp

position (by the turnover.hkx animation), then doing 2 situps (by the situp.hkx animation) and then passing out (by the passout.hkx animation)

- As you can see, the "s" designates a sequence animation and the "-a" designates to play the animation one time and move on. Each "+"

adds a new animation to the sequence.

2. Type in your new animation in the file and save. Example: b myNewAnimation newanimation.hkx

This is assuming you named the "empty_new.hkx" file to "mynewanimation.hkx"

3. WIP

Scripting

coming soon!

Creation Kit

coming soon!

Summary: For a quick overview of making a new animation from scratch to in game

1. Create your animation in Blender by opening "example_female_UNP" in the N3 folder, then hit "run script" and exit blender.

2. Open the "convert" .bat file and type KFmaker.exe empty.kf zBoneKeys.txt

3. FOR SSE ONLY Place the "empty_new.hkx" in the Skyrim Special Edition/Tools/HavokBehaviorPostProcess folder and run the "converttoskyrimSE" .bat file.

4. Rename "empty_new.hkx" to the name of the animation file you're replacing and place the animation in the appropriate folder then proceed to step 8. OR place

your animation in your mod folder if you are creating a new animation and name the animation however you want.

4.1. Create a new FNIS_YOURMODNAME_List.txt list in your mod folder and add the animation to the .txt file.

4.2. WIP Open the Creation Kit and create a new quest to attach a script to reference your new animation.

4.3. WIP Write a new script for how you want your animation to be played.

4.4. Run GenerateFNISforModders and find your FNIS_YOURMODNAME_List.txt to generate new behavior files.

8. Run GenerateFNISforUsers with the appropriate patches ticked (for mods you have installed like xp32 skeleton etc.)

Once that's done, your animation should be ready for use in game! Hopefully this helped out.

Give any advice or feedback and I'll improve the tutorial if I can! I'm still kinda a knewb, so I don't know everything, but I'll post what I do know to help others out!

That's pretty awesome! I'm glad the tutorial could be of help! Anton made some pretty awesome tools for helping with animation in blender, but it doesn't seem like there is much info about it online, and it can be pretty intimidating to try and get into without a lot of references, so I wanted to make something so people can see that it's not too bad to start on some animations.

I'll should be getting around to updating this relatively soon, hopefully fleshing some things out more here and there as well.

4 hours ago, Vortec said:

I was wondering, how do you get XPMSSE  into Blender I see his modder's resource is for 3Ds Max. Or does it matter the Skeleton to use?.

I just use the standard skeleton that's provided with Antont's tools for the animation creation. I use the XPMSSE skeleton in my game, and have HDT physics setup on both SSE and Oldrim. The animations work great even though the animation rig is using the original skeleton. I haven't looked at the XPMS skeleton, so I'm not sure how many new bones etc. it adds, but animating with this tutorial still works if you have that skeleton installed in your game.

The bad thing about that though is that you can't take advantage of any new bones the XPMS skeleton uses during animation creation since they obviously aren't in the rig. With the animation I've done so far, it doesn't appear that it's really needed, but like I said, I'm not too familiar with what the XPMS skeleton adds so I'm sure there are some things you could probably do more if you use that skeleton. For example, I believe the XPMS skeleton adds bones for breast/butt physics or something like that. You won't be able to animate those bones with the standard rig provided in Anton's tools, but the physics applied to those bones still work in game. 

TLDR; Using the skeleton provided in Anton's tools works perfectly fine for animations, even if you have the XPMSSE skeleton installed for your game.

The Blender and nif tool plugins really need to be updated for Skyrim SE and Fallout 4. I'm wondering if everyone is waiting for 2.8 sense it's a major update and works very well. The problem with 2.8 right now is the plugin features haven't been implemented. If anyone has knowledge of python. I'm starting to create plugins myself using this tutorial guide I found for 2.8 online.

Check out this guys YouTube channel. He goes over the python scripts really well with 2.8. I'm studying them pretty hard at the moment. There might be a way to adapt Blender Nif Plugin to 2.8 with this guys videos. I'll keep searching.

One last thing @Bubbajones_ya I've got a favor to ask you. The problem with making guides like these is sometimes the site breaks and it becomes hard to see pictures or certain links. Could you write an actual doc and upload it for Modders as well. This way it's on a rich text where you can post pictures or something similar? I ask, because too many times have I see this and sites break and the tutorial goes to shit. At least with a document you won't have to worry about it screwing up and people can always refer back to the text document or the pdf.

17 hours ago, Tooneyman23 said:

The Blender and nif tool plugins really need to be updated for Skyrim SE and Fallout 4. I'm wondering if everyone is waiting for 2.8 sense it's a major update and works very well. The problem with 2.8 right now is the plugin features haven't been implemented. If anyone has knowledge of python. I'm starting to create plugins myself using this tutorial guide I found for 2.8 online.

Check out this guys YouTube channel. He goes over the python scripts really well with 2.8. I'm studying them pretty hard at the moment. There might be a way to adapt Blender Nif Plugin to 2.8 with this guys videos. I'll keep searching.

One last thing @Bubbajones_ya I've got a favor to ask you. The problem with making guides like these is sometimes the site breaks and it becomes hard to see pictures or certain links. Could you write an actual doc and upload it for Modders as well. This way it's on a rich text where you can post pictures or something similar? I ask, because too many times have I see this and sites break and the tutorial goes to shit. At least with a document you won't have to worry about it screwing up and people can always refer back to the text document or the pdf.

That's a good idea for the document. I can definitely start on doing that as well so something like this doesn't get messed up later on if the site breaks etc.

I haven't switched to blender 2.8 yet (I'm still on 2.78) but wasn't aware that 2.8 hasn't implemented plugins yet. I have never messed with python scripts, so I wouldn't be of any use fiddling with those for quite some time. I'm interest in finding a way to adapt the blender NIF plugin for 2.8 though, so if there is a way to do it maybe I'll take a look into that.

On 3/30/2019 at 10:45 AM, Bubbajones_ya said:

That's a good idea for the document. I can definitely start on doing that as well so something like this doesn't get messed up later on if the site breaks etc.

I haven't switched to blender 2.8 yet (I'm still on 2.78) but wasn't aware that 2.8 hasn't implemented plugins yet. I have never messed with python scripts, so I wouldn't be of any use fiddling with those for quite some time. I'm interest in finding a way to adapt the blender NIF plugin for 2.8 though, so if there is a way to do it maybe I'll take a look into that.

I've literally just setup my python systems with Notepad++ and Pycharm as my IDE's. I'm using python 7.3 since it's stable. I was hoping to use 8.1c, but apparently it's not stable yet and won't be for some time. I want to make sure if there is any scripts I'm using I have a stable version of python. Whether it's adapting Blender nif plugin to SSE or FO4 or trying to upgrade Mesh Rigger from ttk to just plain tk. I want to make sure I've got something stable. I've got the environments setup now which is nice. You can use VSC, but the 2017 version only uses python 3.6 as of now and I don't know when VSC will release the 2019 yet.

Don't do it alone man. Seriously, this community is lack big thing for coordination when it comes to these specific programs. These need to get update now!... I would love to see if Blender nif plugin, Nif XML and pyffi can be updated to work with Blender 2.8. I think it'll be much easier than 2.7,. I know the original author had upgraded everything to 2.6, but I don't know if he's still working on it.

I know the original author had upgraded everything to 2.6, but I don't know if he's still working on it.

The original authors walked away from it years and years ago, hence sparse development of Nifscripts for Blender. I really hope that you can pull this off!.

I haven't made much progress on the tutorial yet, but I should be getting around to doing a bit more next week. Owning a 70 year old house and wanting to fix things yourself on top of a new puppy and other animals is a lot of work! 

I don't know if I'll be adding this to the tutorial, but I want to tackle animating objects/armor (which Anton also has tools for, but I haven't used them yet) and also paired animations.

I haven't made any animation rigs myself for Skyrim, so I'd probably want to find someone who's done this before and learn from that, then document it here. Back in Oblivion days, I made a T-rex with a custom skeleton rig/mesh and got that in game, but I never finished it. I only just starting animating it. After switching computers, I lost the texture file I made as well as some of the animations. I think I could get back into making rigs if I needed to, but I imagine it's a bit different with Skyrim than Oblivion, and it's been a long time since I made the T-Rex..... I still have the model though... maybe someday I'll finish it and see if I could add it to Skyrim using blender.

I did a little more work today and managed to get some simple animations I made for Oldrim back into SSE.

I ran into a lot of trouble and had to reinstall all my animation mods when using the converttoskyrimSE.bat file. I installed it in the animation folder and ran (like suggested) but then I kept getting CTD upon new loads/new games even with all the mods disabled. Something in my animations/beahvior files got messed up and I wasn't sure what, so I just had to reinstall it all.

My advice is to have a separate folder (or just the Skyrim Special Edition/tools folder) with the HavokBehaviorPostProcess, converttoskyrimSE, UpgradeHavokBehavior files in it and paste your made animation in there, then move them (once running the converttoskyrimSE file) to their proper folder. This way you are only editing the new files you are making/replacing so that if something goes wrong, you can just remove those files and try again.

If you are making new files, you'll have to remember to run the GeneratreFNISforModders file, click on your FNIS.txt list you made, and run that, then run GenerateFNISforUsers file.

I'll get around to updating the tutorial some more this week.

1 hour ago, Bubbajones_ya said:

I did a little more work today and managed to get some simple animations I made for Oldrim back into SSE.

I ran into a lot of trouble and had to reinstall all my animation mods when using the converttoskyrimSE.bat file. I installed it in the animation folder and ran (like suggested) but then I kept getting CTD upon new loads/new games even with all the mods disabled. Something in my animations/beahvior files got messed up and I wasn't sure what, so I just had to reinstall it all.

My advice is to have a separate folder (or just the Skyrim Special Edition/tools folder) with the HavokBehaviorPostProcess, converttoskyrimSE, UpgradeHavokBehavior files in it and paste your made animation in there, then move them (once running the converttoskyrimSE file) to their proper folder. This way you are only editing the new files you are making/replacing so that if something goes wrong, you can just remove those files and try again.

If you are making new files, you'll have to remember to run the GeneratreFNISforModders file, click on your FNIS.txt list you made, and run that, then run GenerateFNISforUsers file.

I'll get around to updating the tutorial some more this week.

You might want to have Crash Fixes installed and see what errors come up. I have found a few bad nif's that way also found crashes related to Behaviour graphs.

I'll definitely take a look at Crash Fixes. As of now, things are back to normal.

I tested gameplay before doing anything, then tried adapting my old mod, but I ran the convertoskyrimSE file in my animations folder, which wanted to convert all the animations there. After reinstalling all my animation mods, I ran the convertoskyrimSE file outside of the folder on just my 3 animations, and it has worked fine.

The Crash Fixes will come in handy for sure later on though I'm imagine! 

Thankfully I did get my new animations in game, so I can continue working on what I was trying to do and flesh out this tutorial some more!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey im new to animating in skyrim se and I am trying to figure out how can I use an existing vanilla skyrim animation as a base then edit it in blender? How can i convert the hkx file to blender file so i can edit and replace vanilla animations. I dont see that step in the guide i don't believe.

Edit: for example im trying to create attack animations for 1 handed and 2 handed weapons, so lets say im using 2hmattackleft.hkx as a base.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2019 at 3:23 AM, SkyrimOnly18 said:

Hey im new to animating in skyrim se and I am trying to figure out how can I use an existing vanilla skyrim animation as a base then edit it in blender? How can i convert the hkx file to blender file so i can edit and replace vanilla animations. I dont see that step in the guide i don't believe.

Edit: for example im trying to create attack animations for 1 handed and 2 handed weapons, so lets say im using 2hmattackleft.hkx as a base.

I was wondering that and came across this which I am trying to get into Bender:

https://developer.blender.org/T53082  

There's a download and an error correction there. Good luck!

And nope - an error message flags up in Blender on this plug-in module. I went to Github and downloaded the Opparco one (the same) and had the same result.

I've opened a query on the module on Github but I don't think I'll get a reply. Author does not look like he is working on it.

9 hours ago, Bluegunk said:

I was wondering that and came across this which I am trying to get into Bender:

https://developer.blender.org/T53082  

There's a download and an error correction there. Good luck!

And nope - an error message flags up in Blender on this plug-in module. I went to Github and downloaded the Opparco one (the same) and had the same result.

I've opened a query on the module on Github but I don't think I'll get a reply. Author does not look like he is working on it.

There is an New Blender Nif Plugin released a few days ago.

https://github.com/niftools/blender_nif_plugin/pulse  

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, a few years ago i did a TON of animation editing in oldrim, and i was using studio max 2012 with respective havok tools 2011 to export animations from max directly into hkx files. Now i am pretending to move to skyrim sse and i want to move up to better versions of studio max, instead of being stuck forever to max 2012.

And i wonder, this thread is mostly about converting animations from the old format to the new one in skyrim sse, anyone knows which highest possible studio max version i can use and havok tools generating directly hkx files compatible for skyrim se ? By using google i am having a lot of trouble finding information about this, don't tell me there's no way to avoid using max 2012 and the older havok tools to generate files and then converting to hkx with the tools indicated on the thread...