AAF & the XML Proliferation Problem.

We've had a lot of exciting updates in the last week or two. Between the new Skeleton, the Fusion Body, and lots of good AAF updates. Things are really coming along. It's an exciting time to be modding F4. The folks creating this stuff deserve all the beer, booze, wine women (or men) and song they can handle for their efforts...

However, one of the growing problems I've noticed...as an end user... is that XML tag files are multiplying like rabbits, and it's not a good thing. Halstrom has his tags, Riot Punch has some....then other users desperate to solve their tag issues post another tag file with minor variations or simple changes, many times manually with the time honored 'drag and drop' overwrite install...and the problem compounds itself again. Ideally, I imagine...in a perfect world, the anim authors would be the definitive word on how their anims should play in AAF....but they're mighty busy with all the new stuff they're trying to get ready... 

It's becoming a nightmare, to be honest. Right now, I use Halstroms and Riot Punch's. But I read the threads here, and this is simply an observation: there are one off fixes for tags, some other folks putting out tag files here and there to solve little issues. To be blunt, it's a mess from where I sit. I'm starting to cringe whenever I update any of my XML tags in the worry it's going to break or munge something up. 

Can something be done to consolidate, unify and maybe clean up this XML tagging situation before it gets too much more out of control? Right now, it seems like it's only going to get worse as new anims come out for the new skeleton....and this seems like a really important thing to kind of fix, if only to make it a bit easier on end users, but also all the people trying to help and support things...without having to remember that there are 32 bazillion odd fixes and other files out there all jockeying for a place in our Data/AAF directory. 

The intention is for this problem to be addressed by consolidating these files under themes. So, instead of loose files all over the place the themes, as separate releases with a mod author managing them are a bigger target for animation authors, etc. to rely on.

If the tags available in themes aren't quite right, the best solution is to work with theme authors to modify the theme tag files rather than release tiny fixes.

I think Halstrom has done a great job on his own. But, covering all of the XML in a way that works well with other packs is more than a one person job. So, I am sure he would welcome volunteers to pitch in, make XMLs, point out fixes and test.

Archived