Game stopped saving on character savegame

Yesterday my game somehow stopped saving the game in the character slot like it usually does. Whenever I start the game I can load up the newest save by clicking on "continue" or "show all saves" but when I want to save the game I have to save in a new savegame which doesn't get registered in the game. Another thing I noticed is that whenever I load up the newest save of that character I get the "Mods are activated" message from the game like I started a new game. 

The mods I installed on that day are Immersive Armors and its CBBE Bodyslide Conversions, an updated version of Realistic Water 2, Race Menu, Circlets or Masks with all Robes and Hoods (which is a lie), Bodyslide models for flame atronarch, spriggans and wispmothers, Feminine Khajiit/Argonian Textures (always have to reinstall them after updating CBBE) and SL Aroused Creatures.

Any idea what coul've caused my bug and how to fix it?

EDIT:

For now I found a workaround fix by entering the racemenu and renaming my character which starts a new savegame but I still would like to know whats causing this problem.

The typical cause for this is saving in a location added by a mod that was improperly named in Creation Kit. Saves made outside the location would not be affected.

All you did was rename your character and made a new save? You didn't travel anywhere? Same location as the earlier save except now you can see it with the character's save, even after restarting the game?

18 hours ago, tasairis said:

The typical cause for this is saving in a location added by a mod that was improperly named in Creation Kit. Saves made outside the location would not be affected.

All you did was rename your character and made a new save? You didn't travel anywhere? Same location as the earlier save except now you can see it with the character's save, even after restarting the game?

Seems like the typical cause applies to my problem as well because all the saves that went missing happened after I saved inside the Animal Mansion once...

Good to know that I shouldn't save the game while being inside...

Nope, I thought the problem was solved but the new savegame disappeared as well. So I deleted that character after saving the preset in the RaceMenu.

Anyway, thanks for helping me with this issue ?

So you went outside and went some distance away from the mansion, and the save didn't work?

It's not hard to confirm whether the thing I'm thinking of is happening. Find your save files (for MO2 they're in its profiles directory) and find the file for one of the saves that isn't showing up. What's the full filename?

Well looking at my save files I noticed all manual saves I did after the one that still showed up where done inside the animal mansion... So it's kind of my fault I guess. ?

Am I right that all auto- and quicksaves need at least one manual save in order to be identified with a character? Because that would explain why these also disappeared even if they were outside and away from the mansion.

Btw. what's the differense between ess and skse files?

2 hours ago, Vortec said:

I think there's some sort of Save game file corruption going on in SE, even using Fallrim tools isn't noticing anything. Had a Playthrough we're I couldn't load a save at all-any save.

I remember Fallout 4 sometimes telling me my saves were corrupt only to load them without problems after restarting the game... 

On 9/27/2018 at 10:41 AM, PlayingOneHanded said:

Btw. what's the differense between ess and skse files?

.ess is the regular save file and .skse is the "co-save" file that SKSE creates with even more stuff.

Look at your save files. Here's one of mine:

Save158_7FF75C31_0_4B617A6570687972_FellglowKeep02_071730_20180831002838_72_1

The name is formatted in a very particular way delimited by underscores. See the FellglowKeep02 in there? That's the editor ID of the location where I saved in. If that location ID has an underscore in it, like say it was named FellglowKeep_02, it messes up the formatting and SSE can't handle it normally. It's not corrupt, but it won't be displayed in the list of saves for your character.

Thus the question about the save filename. If you see an underscore in the location name then that's the problem. You can fix it by editing the location name in the ESP (or create a mod override for it) and renaming the save files to match.

9 hours ago, tasairis said:

.ess is the regular save file and .skse is the "co-save" file that SKSE creates with even more stuff.

Look at your save files. Here's one of mine:

Save158_7FF75C31_0_4B617A6570687972_FellglowKeep02_071730_20180831002838_72_1

The name is formatted in a very particular way delimited by underscores. See the FellglowKeep02 in there? That's the editor ID of the location where I saved in. If that location ID has an underscore in it, like say it was named FellglowKeep_02, it messes up the formatting and SSE can't handle it normally. It's not corrupt, but it won't be displayed in the list of saves for your character.

Thus the question about the save filename. If you see an underscore in the location name then that's the problem. You can fix it by editing the location name in the ESP (or create a mod override for it) and renaming the save files to match.

The animal mansion locations are named NA_AnimalMansion and NA_AnimalMansion_Basement so I guess I'll have to change them....

Thanks for your help again, I really appreciate it.

Archived