Can one add 'new' spell Icons to the mix?

WIthin Oblivion, we all see 'Heart' icons for the traditional Heal Light Wounds spell, flaming icons for fireball and the like.  And it appears to be built into the apparently 'fixed' Magic Effect database.

My inquiry is, can one add icons to spells independent of the Magic Effects database, or is there a means to add new 'custom' entries to the Magic Effects table?

Seriously, every custom spell being made all share the same lame *** icon unless you're adding a magic effect to it.

WIthin Oblivion, we all see 'Heart' icons for the traditional Heal Light Wounds spell, flaming icons for fireball and the like.  And it appears to be built into the apparently 'fixed' Magic Effect database.

My inquiry is, can one add icons to spells independent of the Magic Effects database, or is there a means to add new 'custom' entries to the Magic Effects table?

Seriously, every custom spell being made all share the same lame *** icon unless you're adding a magic effect to it.

Using TES4Edit you can create new magic effects, but every time you open the mod with the construction kit it gets removed automatically.

To avebrave
I tried the Custom Spell Icons mod you linked just moments ago, and I have to say that I like it.  Unfortunately, it is not what I was looking for.  I was looking for a means to change the icon (or icons) of spells within a mod of my creation, using the appropriate textures of which I had supplied.  So if another person imports my mod into Oblivion, my new spell (or spells) would show unique icons without any intervention on the user's part.

To RapidWaterOver
Your answer may be the closest as of now.  I would wish to refrain from going that route, though it may be the only way to apply new Icons to a mod on a permanent basis.  My fear is that I could use TES4Edit to make a FormID that could conflict with another mod.  Not likely.  But then again, I have no experience with TES4Edit and  I certainly do not wish to break the game.

Thank you for the responses.  But I will leave this question up in the air for any further replies.

My fear is that I could use TES4Edit to make a FormID that could conflict with another mod.

The same could happens if you use the CS.

So many modders use aaa , xxx ,ZZZ or yyy at the beginning of the ID. ( aaaShortSword, or xxxxSummonSkeleton )

Use your own IDs. You can start with a  or z if you want all your IDs at the beginning or end of the list.

If you use aLDDLHSSpellName  for a Spell in your LoversHiyokoShooter Mod ( aLDDLHS =  a Long Duk Dong Lovers Hiyoko Shooter  ) I am sure the probability that the same ID is in another Mod is very low.

I do almost everything with TES4Edit, only build a house, landscape and compile scripts I do with CSE. I learned how to use TES4Edit long before I used the first time the CS.

To avebrave

I tried the Custom Spell Icons mod you linked just moments ago, and I have to say that I like it.  Unfortunately, it is not what I was looking for.  I was looking for a means to change the icon (or icons) of spells within a mod of my creation, using the appropriate textures of which I had supplied.  So if another person imports my mod into Oblivion, my new spell (or spells) would show unique icons without any intervention on the user's part.

To RapidWaterOver

Your answer may be the closest as of now.  I would wish to refrain from going that route, though it may be the only way to apply new Icons to a mod on a permanent basis.  My fear is that I could use TES4Edit to make a FormID that could conflict with another mod.  Not likely.  But then again, I have no experience with TES4Edit and  I certainly do not wish to break the game.

Thank you for the responses.  But I will leave this question up in the air for any further replies.

Ok I thought you just searching for a way to customize spell icons for your personal game, my fault. Never heard of the Tes4edit method but it sounds good so far, since I never found a way to get rid of the boring script icons.

As far as I remember it is possible to add functions to the scripts of 'Custom Spell Icons'. Done that myself for personal usage, but that was a couple of years ago so I can't remember what I did, i think it was this:

• Save your Spell icons in textures\menus\icons\MyFolder\MyIcon.dds
  • open up CSI_Misc.ini
  • check the last lines under -----other Icons-------
  • copy them and edit them to your needs (you need to add your spell IDs, and remove the ";" at the start of the lines)
  • repeat this for as many spells as you have in your mod

cheers. ave

Archived