Ultimate NPC Overhaul 2 Grey face...

limonotu

Well, here's just a common issue with the annoying face color separation from body, or more like "grey face".

Many threads on internet try to help with this one...with a lot of different answers. But after two days of testing many of them, I decided to open another one discussion.

Before anything else, note that a use Mod Organizer to load my mods and game.

During all of my tests, despite my constant failure, I was able to determinate that Ultimate NPC Overhaul 2 seems to be the source of my issue. Without it (unchecked in my list of mod) all NPC have a normal face... an ugly one but normal. With the mod, activated, many of the NPC have their face changed (such as the mod has to work) but few of them are experienced the infamous Grey Face bug (like Lydia for example), maybe because the mod don't apply correctly on them (it's what I think but I don't know how to prove it / to fix it).

I have already exhausted quite a lot of solution but I hope you could advise me on some other I didn't think about.

For purpose, I already have TES5EDIT, Loot, Wrye Bash and CreationKit installed.

Just waiting a kind soul to arrange this horror...

post-282886-0-22342500-1490112286_thumb.png

Open the mod in question in the CK

Go to the ACTORS tab

Select ever actor added by the mod by holding down the CTRL key and highlighting them.

Then press Ctr + F4, and then click OK on the box that pops up.  This will export the characters (more or less) to a Textures > Actor > FaceGen > ModName folder.

Click okay on the DONE box when it pops up.

Save the mod.

Exit the CK.

Play your game, with the grey faces now fixed.

(You may have to start a new game, save it, and then load your existing game, for the change to take effect.  Personally, I'd just start a new game anyway.)

Thx for your answer, I'm gonna try this one. But I'm not very familiar with CreationKit: How do I save\export the modified mod ?

EDIT: Well, I just don't know how to set properly CreationKit with Mod Organizer. I already add it in the executable in MO and when I try to open Ultimate NPC Overhaul2.esp (select as Active File), it keep spam me with "Multiple master files selected for load. Load operation aborted". I've already add the line "bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=1" in General section in Skyrim.ini (edit with INIEditor, in ModOrganzer) but it doesn't work.

EDIT2: I was trying to edit Skyrim.ini, but I needed to edit SkyrimEditor.ini in Skyrim folder instead... Now it's with "Assert bgslocalizedstring.cpp" error message... Seems not a big deal, I just click "Ignore" and CK doesn't crash...

To save it, you just click Save in the File dropdown (Upper left corner of the CK window) AFTER  you have exported your face files.  Skyrim puts them where they belong all by itself, so you don't have to worry about that part.

Well, after 6 hours of actor analysis with CK, it gave me new .esp, texture and mesh files (in overwrite folder in ModOrganizer). I created a mod from it, start a new save and it appears that now all faces are bugged... well... I tried to merge the new mod in ancient folder of Ultimate NPC Overhaul, start again a new game...same result. Pretty disappointed right now...

It seems the new esp (given by CK) doesn't work properly.

Wait, so you're tweaking an already-existing mod?  That makes things a bit different sometimes.

My advice is to re-download the latest version of the mod.

Completely uninstall the old version -- Meshes, Textures, SEQs, Scripts -- ANYTHING to do with that mod, by going into your Skyrim > Data directory and manually deleting the appropriate stuff.

Then install the newest version of the mod.

Start a test game by loading Skyrim and when the menu screen comes up, type COC Guardianstones or COC WhiterunDragonsreach

Those are safe, well-lighted areas where you can examine textures.

Make sure the mod is in fact working, and if it is go ahead and quit to desktop (no need to save the game)

THEN you can try tweaking or altering the mod.  However, some things don't really work well with Mod Organizer because it expects things to be done a certain way, mostly to keep mods from screwing each other up, or "breaking skyrim".

Ssometimes merging ESPs doesn't work well unless you do it the hard way -- which means, you duplicate *everything* from the mod, by hand, and re-name it.

Wait, so you're tweaking an already-existing mod?  That makes things a bit different sometimes.

My advice is to re-download the latest version of the mod.

Completely uninstall the old version -- Meshes, Textures, SEQs, Scripts -- ANYTHING to do with that mod, by going into your Skyrim > Data directory and manually deleting the appropriate stuff.

Then install the newest version of the mod.

Start a test game by loading Skyrim and when the menu screen comes up, type COC Guardianstones or COC WhiterunDragonsreach

Those are safe, well-lighted areas where you can examine textures.

Make sure the mod is in fact working, and if it is go ahead and quit to desktop (no need to save the game)

THEN you can try tweaking or altering the mod.  However, some things don't really work well with Mod Organizer because it expects things to be done a certain way, mostly to keep mods from screwing each other up, or "breaking skyrim".

Ssometimes merging ESPs doesn't work well unless you do it the hard way -- which means, you duplicate *everything* from the mod, by hand, and re-name it.

Well, I've fixed it by the hard way... Uninstall all my mod, create a new save, download and activate Ultimate NPC Overhaul and its requirement and begin to reactivate one by one all my mod (with running LOOT, Bash and TES5EDIT for each). Finally, it seems that one mod causes the bug (for my case): Immersive Weapons. I don't know why and how, but I can play without this one and all seems to come back to normal now.

Thank for your good advices!

If you are using Mod Organizer, you might try just moving Ultimate below Immersive Weapons in the left hand pane, Also moving the mods Esp to near the bottom, I had that issue with beautiful Babes and using the CK to export the facegens only worked on about 80% of the npcs, moving it to near the bottom of both panes worked perfectly, my isssue was LOOT kept movin the esp to the top

ok i'm a little late to this discussion but there is an alternate way to fix the issue as well

using TESVEdit you can create a merged patch (which can resolve a lot more issues than just the face/color mismatch)

I use Mod Organizer and I ran into a face and body color mismatch issue with Hert (of Half-Moon Mill) and recently got royally po'd about her mismatch (and it was NOT a grey face bug

like tons of people told me it was).  in fact this one was strange I eventually (thru over 20 hours of testing) determined that the mod causing this for me was in fact USLEEP (in spite

of reinstalling it correctly with the latest version 5 times). it turns out something in MO can cause this (with Hert) due to the way it does stuff, but it is super rare.  Using a NPC overhaul

would work, but was not an acceptable answer for me (due to the only ones I could find that fixed Hert also caused other npc's to be adversely affected).  after much research and 

stumbling around trying to find something that would do what I wanted (fix Hert's looks, but without messing with other npc's abilities {the one overhaul that worked out of the box

also changed 5 vendors on me, so I did not want to touch that one} and would work without drastically changing my load order {I have some dialogue mods that need to load after npc

overhauls for them to work correctly}) I eventually discovered that in fact a Merged Patch (created using TESVedit) would in fact do this (as well as resolve most other conflicts I could

not resolve thru load order manipulation). 

the major downsides to this are

1 - it is a time consuming process (much more so the first time you create it) that you have to be able to manually de-bug yourself.

2 - it has to be redone (or updated at the minimum) whenever ANY mod that you have "adjusted" with the patch is updated by you.

3 - it has to be done in TESVEdit with your WHOLE active load order (with a few exceptions, like certain mods or overhauls patches)

all the guides I read ( I surely did not get them all, but did read about 7 or 8 of them) stated that this is the process of LAST RESORT.

the other thing they all said was that it was better to resolve issues (if possible) thru load order adjusting or dropping the mod (if you were willing to do this).

in conclusion if nothing else works for you (load order manipulation, dropping the offending mod, or any other means) a merged patch may (read should in over 99% of cases) fix the issue.

p.s. learning the basics of how to make a merged patch took about 2 hours (including reading multiple guides), actually learning enough (through trial and error) to make it do what

I WANTED it to do took about 2 more hours, but actually MAKING the first all up merged patch (with my load order) took about 8-10 hours (and all I was really doing was correcting the

way npc's in my game looked).  mod list and load order I did this for are attached for reference.

edit

the most time consuming part is having to go thru everything it is adjusting item by item (considering you are adjusting multiple mods all at once {in my case over 230 esm/esp files} at one time).

modlistNloadorder03172017.7z

I had that issue with beautiful Babes and using the CK to export the facegens only worked on about 80% of the npcs

Could you explain me in details how can I do that and get it functionnal with Mod Organizer? I already know that I have to CTRL+F4 with all actors in CK when I have selected my mod (Ultimate NPC Overhaul) as Active File more its Master Files but I don't know what to do with the different files that gives me in Overwrite folder (after few hours...).

all the guides I read ( I surely did not get them all, but did read about 7 or 8 of them) stated that this is the process of LAST RESORT.

the other thing they all said was that it was better to resolve issues (if possible) thru load order adjusting or dropping the mod (if you were willing to do this).

in conclusion if nothing else works for you (load order manipulation, dropping the offending mod, or any other means) a merged patch may (read should in over 99% of cases) fix the issue.

p.s. learning the basics of how to make a merged patch took about 2 hours (including reading multiple guides), actually learning enough (through trial and error) to make it do what

I WANTED it to do took about 2 more hours, but actually MAKING the first all up merged patch (with my load order) took about 8-10 hours (and all I was really doing was correcting the

way npc's in my game looked).  mod list and load order I did this for are attached for reference.

Thank for your explanations but I doubt having the motivation to process like this. If the standart solutions don't work (like Load Order, Wrye Bash, TES5Edit...) and that the problematic mod isn't very important (it's however a great mod!), I can just do without.

I'm using NPC85, bijin wives, JH_people, KZ elves, ordinary people, as long as your facegen not conflict each other so you must have the priority of the mod for example you want all the NPC overhaul from NPC85 then the load order should be the bottom of the other mod, and don't forget the facegen can be overwritten by the other mod that the same NPC overhaul so you must select it by yourself and what your taste better

Archived