Welcome to LoversLab
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Skyrim Special Edition or original Skyrim?

• Please log in to reply
327 replies to this topic

yatol

yatol

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

The fact that Oldrim compiled scripts run in the new game doesn't mean they won't run better.  This becomes pretty evident the first time you use a cheat to get all the materials necessary to build a Hearthfires home and go from workbench to workbench, using the <enter> and <Y> keys to race through adding all the furniture items.  The items appear at a faster rate and that's all scripting, a bunch of enable() function calls.  You'll see it when you start playing SSE.  The game is faster at everything.

when you will be high levle and able to carry dozen of armors, hundred of ingredients, potions, misc... your inventory will take more time to load

because of that

- alchemy was replaced with crafting the potions merchants sell

- potion number was reduce to 2 (level 2 and 5-> 1 and 2)

- outfits replacer are just one armor (no longer in inventory, that's in an edited selene kate mcm menu now)

- poser was replaced by the uilist version (that don't cover the last version, i don't use, it was time consuming to edit one of those scripts, replace xxyyyyyy by xxzzzzzz to add old "new stuff" to the list)

- "new" ingots from mods were replaced by iron malachite stahrim....

- etc etc (it's also a problem with auto storage script, more stuff, more chance to get a stack dump if there's some onitemadd() or remove() in the load order)

migal130

migal130

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

The fact that Oldrim compiled scripts run in the new game doesn't mean they won't run better.  This becomes pretty evident the first time you use a cheat to get all the materials necessary to build a Hearthfires home and go from workbench to workbench, using the <enter> and <Y> keys to race through adding all the furniture items.  The items appear at a faster rate and that's all scripting, a bunch of enable() function calls.  You'll see it when you start playing SSE.  The game is faster at everything.

when you will be high levle and able to carry dozen of armors, hundred of ingredients, potions, misc... your inventory will take more time to load

because of that

- alchemy was replaced with crafting the potions merchants sell

- potion number was reduce to 2 (level 2 and 5-> 1 and 2)

- outfits replacer are just one armor (no longer in inventory, that's in an edited selene kate mcm menu now)

- poser was replaced by the uilist version (that don't cover the last version, i don't use, it was time consuming to edit one of those scripts, replace xxyyyyyy by xxzzzzzz to add old "new stuff" to the list)

- "new" ingots from mods were replaced by iron malachite stahrim....

- etc etc (it's also a problem with auto storage script, more stuff, more chance to get a stack dump if there's some onitemadd() or remove() in the load order)

As usual, Yatol, I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say.  It's sometimes like you suddenly start having a totally different conversation, as if you accidentally responded to the wrong post, and I suspect I'm not the only one left shaking my head, wondering, "WTF?"  I imagine this is a result of English not being your first language, or maybe you simply enjoy changing the subject.  But, you'll have to forgive me if I don't understand what alchemy, outfits, poses, inventory or ingots have to do with what I wrote.  And what does Selene Kate and MCM have to do with SSE?

Please don't respond by posting an image of yet another thing that has nothing to do with what we are discussing.  I know you like to do it, but it only serves to confuse us more.  Unless of course you're just trolling, in which case, go for it.

yatol

yatol

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

But, you'll have to forgive me if I don't understand what alchemy, outfits, poses, inventory or ingots have to do with what I wrote.  And what does Selene Kate and MCM have to do with SSE?

as if you understand what you are talking about

go from workbench to workbench, using the <enter> and <Y> keys to race through adding all the furniture items.  The items appear at a faster rate and that's all scripting, a bunch of enable() function calls.

coc qasmoke and go to your workbench

now pick up all those coffers, and go back to your workbench

if you want to understand, load tesedit and go to contructible items

Xiderpunk

Xiderpunk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Yatol, I think no matter what you have made your mind up, you dislike SSE. We get it.. in your mind 32bit is in some mysterious way superior to 64bit (despite all that extra headroom and address space).  I am afraid though that you can only be on a losing side of this especially as time goes on. At the very worst, SSE will be able to do everything and look every bit as good as Oldrim, and that is the baseline.. in time it will be better in every possible way than Oldrim.

yatol

yatol

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

in time it will be better in every possible way than Oldrim

like i said in the pre release thread, don't feel like playing sse vanilla skyrim waiting for that time to come

also said some fanboys will try to get more people to switch (to get stuff done faster for sse) with random crap thinking nobody understand that crap

i craft with breezhome fully upgradable auto storage scripts (i know the risk, all scripts with onitemadd or removed from my load order were killed)

Dyeless

Dyeless

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts

SSE is just stable. I personally care more about stability over variety, nothing ruin game more then random crashes.

Trykz

Trykz

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Let me preface by saying I haven't played with it..... yet.

I might, but that depends on a number of factors. Like all the utilities (SKSE, etc..) that give functionality to all of the best mods. If it's CK is as disastrous as FO4's, then it's going to go nowhere for me.... fast. Just because SE plays better and more stable, does NOT make it better overall. If your only interest is the vanilla game and perhaps some basic mods, then sure. Go with SE. Because the basic, vanilla game experience will be obviously better. But if you want many of the "fun" mods that make Skyrim truly shine, then the original is simply what it is..... better than SE. At least for the time being. It's easy to argue performance and visuals when you're essentially comparing little more than the base vanilla game. That said.....

I haven't played vanilla Skyrim since shortly after it launched. And I'll say this without ANY reservation.....

I'll NEVER play it again. Once and done was enough. And now it's modded to hell and back, and more fun than ever. My Skyrim looks equally as good as any SE screenshot I've seen. So visuals are a nominal argument at best. Stability is also a nominal argument, because SE hasn't nearly enough script heavy or visually intensive mods to truly put it to a real test. When it can run as stably with 230+ mods running scripts or heavy textures, then I'll be sold. But until it can, I'll stick with the original, thanks  ;)

Trykz

yatol

yatol

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

SSE is just stable. I personally care more about stability over variety, nothing ruin game more then random crashes.

not because you crash everyone crash

random crash doesn't exist anyway...

my last one was an alt tab to replace some npc heads (replacing hair x with hair y can be problems because of hair x tri file)

would have crash again if i didn't put back hair x before going back to that npc (it's that or going back to earlier save to give him hair y headpart)

before that, a few ctds in whiterun trying smco nif optimisation (some said nitristrips > nitrishape for performance, so i took a look, that thing fail with some nifs from actor and architecture folders)

another ctd trying to load the game without tree folder

and before that the follower mod that send you to space (that's most of my ctd, trying a mod or messing with stuff i shouldn't be messing with)

pipdude

pipdude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Let me preface by saying I haven't played with it..... yet.

I might, but that depends on a number of factors. Like all the utilities (SKSE, etc..) that give functionality to all of the best mods. If it's CK is as disastrous as FO4's, then it's going to go nowhere for me.... fast. Just because SE plays better and more stable, does NOT make it better overall. If your only interest is the vanilla game and perhaps some basic mods, then sure. Go with SE. Because the basic, vanilla game experience will be obviously better. But if you want many of the "fun" mods that make Skyrim truly shine, then the original is simply what it is..... better than SE. At least for the time being. It's easy to argue performance and visuals when you're essentially comparing little more than the base vanilla game. That said.....

I haven't played vanilla Skyrim since shortly after it launched. And I'll say this without ANY reservation.....

I'll NEVER play it again. Once and done was enough. And now it's modded to hell and back, and more fun than ever. My Skyrim looks equally as good as any SE screenshot I've seen. So visuals are a nominal argument at best. Stability is also a nominal argument, because SE hasn't nearly enough script heavy or visually intensive mods to truly put it to a real test. When it can run as stably with 230+ mods running scripts or heavy textures, then I'll be sold. But until it can, I'll stick with the original, thanks  ;)

Trykz

It sounds like you should try it out to better understand it.

It already can be modded with many of the same mods as oldrim and it runs way better. It is already not limited to just playing the vanilla game.

The new SKSE is being worked on for it. As soon as that is out, the majority of oldrim mods will be able to be ported over.

What is there to not like about having the same thing but running better on the same machines? Once the new SKSE comes out, I doubt many modders will bother with oldrim any more.

Trykz

Trykz

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

What is there to not like about having the same thing but running better on the same machines? Once the new SKSE comes out, I doubt many modders will bother with oldrim any more.

What's TO like at this point in time, really?

I mean, I get that it runs great, and has a good number of mods available for it at present. However, it doesn't have the mods I use to make Skyrim a truly rugged and dangerous world. Like Ely's Uncapper, enslavement mods, and various others that make Skyrim the world that many feel it "should" have been right from the start.

And I doubt the assumption that many modders will not continue modding the original holds much ground in reality. Truth is, it's HIGHLY unlikely that the SKSE that's offered for SE will function identically. Meaning a LOT of work will need to be done for the more script heavy mods currently available. Unless it's at least extremely similar, I doubt many of the biggest and most popular mods will be ported over by their original authors. Fact is, these authors have already invested massive chunks of time and effort. So we'll have to wait and see if they really want to repeat that, or if they're willing to pass the torch onto someone else who wants to invest the time and effort.

That said, I hope they do. But unfortunately for me, SE isn't quite there yet. I'm reasonably sure it'll get there, but at the moment, only time will tell.

We'll see.....

Trykz

yatol

yatol

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

The new SKSE is being worked on for it. As soon as that is out, the majority of oldrim mods will be able to be ported over.

if they get skse to work with sse, you will have to wait for a lot of other things to be work on (if someone do it)

161226072203882454.jpg
have fun waiting^^

Taskmaster

Taskmaster

The Breakfasting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

What's TO like at this point in time, really?

I mean, I get that it runs great, and has a good number of mods available for it at present. However, it doesn't have the mods I use to make Skyrim a truly rugged and dangerous world. Like Ely's Uncapper, enslavement mods, and various others that make Skyrim the world that many feel it "should" have been right from the start.

And I doubt the assumption that many modders will not continue modding the original holds much ground in reality. Truth is, it's HIGHLY unlikely that the SKSE that's offered for SE will function identically. Meaning a LOT of work will need to be done for the more script heavy mods currently available. Unless it's at least extremely similar, I doubt many of the biggest and most popular mods will be ported over by their original authors. Fact is, these authors have already invested massive chunks of time and effort. So we'll have to wait and see if they really want to repeat that, or if they're willing to pass the torch onto someone else who wants to invest the time and effort.

That said, I hope they do. But unfortunately for me, SE isn't quite there yet. I'm reasonably sure it'll get there, but at the moment, only time will tell.

We'll see.....

Trykz

Couple things:

1. Just going by the nexus alone, ~70%(35+/50) of just the top 50 most endorsed mods of all time, already either have Special Edition nexus page counterparts and/or can be used as is from classic's page.

2. There are already plenty of mods ported over, privately, some of which used SKSE but don't now(some people aren't or don't need to play "wait and see"). 

The mods YOU want to use, are either not ported yet, rely on/are SKSE plugins, or you're lacking the ability/know-how to port them yourself.

Thing is, what person A wants from their game, is not the same as what person B wants from their game.

Understand this.

Then you can finally appreciate why some people are enjoying Special Edition; the same as why others are fine and content, with tried and true Classic. 

migal130

migal130

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

And I doubt the assumption that many modders will not continue modding the original holds much ground in reality.

Yes, SSE needs more mods in order to catch up with Oldrim. We can be either proactive or passive about it. I haven't modded for Oldrim since a week after SSE was released and I won't mod for Oldrim again unless it is to fix a bug in one of my existing mods. I can either wait for others in the community to take responsibility for making SSE a well modded game, or I can aid in the movement to a superior platform. I chose the latter. I now have more mods released for SSE than I do for Oldrim.

if they get skse to work with sse, you will have to wait for a lot of other things to be work on (if someone do it)
161226072203882454.jpg
have fun waiting^^

Crash Fixes and all memory management DLLs are not needed with SSE, because of DX11 and 64 bit. It's a question of whether or not we get HDT, NiOverride and utilities such as PapyrusUtils and MFGconsole. These aren't nearly as important as SKSE itself, but once we've had them, it's hard not to have them. Some of the better features of my mods rely on them.

PS: Related to your previous post's assertion: Open the CK with the Hearthfires plugin active. Look at the formlists that begin with BYOH. Now look at the script, BYOHHouseBuildingScript.psc. The crafting recipes (constructible objects) allow us to keep track of what can and can't be made at the crafting stations, but they don't bring the furniture items into existence. The furniture items already exist. They are just disabled. Look inside any of the Hearthfires homes.

quin666

quin666

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Moderator need lock this topic.

Trykz

Trykz

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

The mods YOU want to use, are either not ported yet, rely on/are SKSE plugins, or you're lacking the ability/know-how to port them yourself.

It's got nothing to do with "know how", and EVERYTHING to do with not taking liberties upon myself like the console kiddies with FO4's PC mods. I've got plenty of mods under my belt, right here on the Lab. But I sure don't want others just grabbing whatever they want, diddling with it, and then releasing it for another platform/version without my permission.

Everything else you babbled on about is shit I already said myself. Hence my use of terms like "for me". So take a breath, and stop trying to start shit.....

Trykz

Taskmaster

Taskmaster

The Breakfasting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

It's got nothing to do with "know how", and EVERYTHING to do with not taking liberties upon myself like the console kiddies with FO4's PC mods. I've got plenty of mods under my belt, right here on the Lab. But I sure don't want others just grabbing whatever they want, diddling with it, and then releasing it for another platform/version without my permission.

Everything else you babbled on about is shit I already said myself. Hence my use of terms like "for me". So take a breath, and stop trying to start shit.....

Trykz

Why are you so aggressive? You could've just cleared up everything you were saying in a normalized manner, but instead chose to throw out rhetoric like "console kiddies", and boasts like "plenty of mods under my belt, right here on the Lab.", that doesn't have anything to do with what I was addressing or attempting to clear up in your post, to which had some misconceptions mixed in with your opinions and perspective(which I'm not attacking or trying to start something against).

I'm not attacking your character or your credibility; I don't even know you.

Trykz

Trykz

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Yes, you did. By not understanding that there was nothing to even clear up. And by questioning my abilities as a modder with your " The mods YOU want to use, are either not ported yet, rely on/are SKSE plugins, or you're lacking the ability/know-how to port them yourself" comment. The fact that you "don't even know" me is exactly why you should have better understood what you read BEFORE you quoted the post.

Your post was intended to illicit a response. And that's what you got.

But nevertheless, I was NOT shitting on Skyrim SE. I was merely offering a relatively neutral perspective to the OP. And that perspective was one of a "wait until it's got everything you want" view, with my reasoning for why. Eventually, I may find myself making the jump to SE. But until I can use it as I can currently use the original, mods and all, I'd rather wait. And if I find that I cannot, so be it.

Trykz

Taskmaster

Taskmaster

The Breakfasting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Yes, you did. By not understanding that there was nothing to even clear up. And by questioning my abilities as a modder with your " The mods YOU want to use, are either not ported yet, rely on/are SKSE plugins, or you're lacking the ability/know-how to port them yourself" comment. The fact that you "don't even know" me is exactly why you should have better understood what you read BEFORE you quoted the post.

Your post was intended to illicit a response. And that's what you got.

But nevertheless, I was NOT shitting on Skyrim SE. I was merely offering a relatively neutral perspective to the OP. And that perspective was one of a "wait until it's got everything you want" view, with my reasoning for why. Eventually, I may find myself making the jump to SE. But until I can use it as I can currently use the original, mods and all, I'd rather wait. And if I find that I cannot, so be it.

Trykz

If the part in yellow doesn't apply to you, then it doesn't apply to you - that's what "or" is supposed to mean. 

You're absolutely right, my post was intended to illicit a response - illicit isn't the word I'd use, though, neither would bait if you were thinking that, as well. It was intended to persuade you into a response to clarify your stance without all the other fluff(of which I attempted to correct).

You're not shitting on SE or even vanilla Skyrim? You could've fooled me. Your posts had me of the belief of otherwise, that's why I posted to get you to clarify. And guess what? You clarified, but you're still so aggressive.

yatol

yatol

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Crash Fixes and all memory management DLLs are not needed with SSE, because of DX11 and 64 bit.

you don't need crash fixes with sse?

oh wait... you don't even know what that mod do...

Spoiler

you should take a look at what you install before your sse save become the same mess your skyrim save was

ps : and i know the mess hearthfire is... some mods use its stupid scripts for growing plants with oncellattach() instead of onload()

why don't you take a look at the onupdate of your save with savegamecleaner? unof patch don't fix that

Trykz

Trykz

Mega Poster

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

We'll see.....

Trykz

You're not shitting on SE or even vanilla Skyrim? You could've fooled me. Your posts had me of the belief of otherwise, that's why I posted to get you to clarify. And guess what? You clarified, but you're still so aggressive.

No. I'm not. You made an assumption that I was, because you obviously flew right past the final comment in my initial post. There was nothing derogatory anywhere in that post. And certainly nothing that needed any clarification. You glossed it over, misunderstood or misread it, and your response was obviously to come out swinging in defense of something that didn't need defending.

So just stop. Admit you screwed up and we'll move past it......

Trykz