is a 1080 gpu worth the 600$ price or should i get a 1060 for 250$?

http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php

But this is no tech forum, and GPU and GB are way different subjects.

way different.

It isn't what you say, it's how you say it, and who you know

(and if you're hot)

I don't know anyone and I'm not hot.

I like this thread, though

Brevity is the soul of something, (wit). Totally ignoring that,

for freaking years, everytime I made a new computer I'd break out this cd-rom game from 1992 that had the

player being the captain of a submarine.

It was supposed to showcase multimedia which was just becoming popular.

Magazines devoted entire articles on how 6x cd-rom was better than 3x.

Anyway, Once the game stopped being creaky and stutter-y, it became irrelevant (because it was boring).

editing 3d videos because you can, and putting hair on monsters because you can,

and doing something I only glossed over (3d-modeling?) because you can, doesn't mean you want to,

and forums won't care what you get 6 months from now.

I don't know...my video card, with a skosh more memory.

(Buy "shadow of Mordor" on sale and stick it in some drawer)

And future proof-with the latest directx (Opengl is nice too, I'm told)

price-points have not changed in 20 years, so ignoring the haters, pick a price-point.

( I already hate this)

"Here we go again", you *really* know how to push my buttons, (*blush*)

http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php

But this is no tech forum, and GPU and GB are way different subjects.

way different.

It isn't what you say, it's how you say it, and who you know

(and if you're hot)

I don't know anyone and I'm not hot.

I like this thread, though

Brevity is the soul of something, (wit). Totally ignoring that,

for freaking years, everytime I made a new computer I'd break out this cd-rom game from 1992 that had the

player being the captain of a submarine.

It was supposed to showcase multimedia which was just becoming popular.

Magazines devoted entire articles on how 6x cd-rom was better than 3x.

Anyway, Once the game stopped being creaky and stutter-y, it became irrelevant (because it was boring).

editing 3d videos because you can, and putting hair on monsters because you can,

and doing something I only glossed over (3d-modeling?) because you can, doesn't mean you want to,

and forums won't care what you get 6 months from now.

I don't know...my video card, with a skosh more memory.

(Buy "shadow of Mordor" on sale and stick it in some drawer)

And future proof-with the latest directx (Opengl is nice too, I'm told)

price-points have not changed in 20 years, so ignoring the haters, pick a price-point.

( I already hate this)

"Here we go again", you *really* know how to push my buttons, (*blush*)

A small tip, Don't use game debate their data is more often then not inaccurate.

• 2 weeks later...

as its sorta 1080 related, is there a game that will get my card working? (see sig for specs) and I mean get the fans working, as fallout 4 maxed, doom 2016 maxed and the fans don't even move >.<

Decided to give it a try and just ordered MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8GB GDDR5X Graphics Card - Black from amazon

Will let you know if it rocks my world

will your case be big enough for it? as iit'll be a LONGER length card, I had to upgrade my case just to fit my 1080 in >.<

as its sorta 1080 related, is there a game that will get my card working? (see sig for specs) and I mean get the fans working, as fallout 4 maxed, doom 2016 maxed and the fans don't even move >.<

Decided to give it a try and just ordered MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8GB GDDR5X Graphics Card - Black from amazon

will your case be big enough for it? as iit'll be a LONGER length card, I had to upgrade my case just to fit my 1080 in >.<

"Zoltac GTX 1080 Amp Extreme 16Gb"

I assume you have 16gb of RAM for your CPU because there is no such thing as a 16gb 10xx series GPU from nvidia.

"Zoltac GTX 1080 Amp Extreme 16Gb"

I assume you have 16gb of RAM for your CPU because there is no such thing as a 16gb 10xx series GPU from nvidia.

eep.. wasn't paying attention there its an 8gb model, plus its "nice" of you to pick up on my error than trying to answer the question, thanks!

It would have fitted except i couldn't fit the attachment part of the card under the lid of my case, length was i would have been fine, tried bending the case up and considered getting a hack saw on it but then went for my other option as luckly i had a older much larger case still which i've just finished moving everything into, it sounds like i need to replace the case fans as they a bit noisey but so far everything working, downloading drivers for it now

Edit a quick test in skyrim and with the ENB i'm using that was generally about 49 fps on my old card is now 59.8 with a 1080, ticking on all the enb options other than brute force doesn't reduce it

• 3 weeks later...

But if you like AMD go for them, I hear the next batch of their new "ZEN" cpu's are gonna be amazing.

The thing with AMD:  their next CPU is always going to be awesome.  It's marketing hype, don't believe a word of it.  They haven't delivered on their promise of greatness since the early aughts when Intel couldn't match the Opteron.

The only good thing about them is the price these days.

But if you like AMD go for them, I hear the next batch of their new "ZEN" cpu's are gonna be amazing.

The thing with AMD:  their next CPU is always going to be awesome.  It's marketing hype, don't believe a word of it.  They haven't delivered on their promise of greatness since the early aughts when Intel couldn't match the Opteron.

I would agree with that statement if AMD themselves would have made these chips, but they hired on of their older hardware developers to help them make it. So im pretty confident its gonna be a lot better then their last FX series of processors.

I would agree with that statement if AMD themselves would have made these chips, but they hired on of their older hardware developers to help them make it. So im pretty confident its gonna be a lot better then their last FX series of processors.

Of course the next generation is going to be better than the last generation, if not heads should role...  The problem with that is that they are still going to be worse than the bargain Intel Chips of the same generation.

Well skyrim in 4k with latest ENB makes my fans go crazy. I am even kinda afraid this shitty old game will burn my gpu lel

*To comparison KF2 in 4k or Shadow Warrior 2 runs smooth at 4k* and fans dont scream that loud at all

meh... I always go red ever since...because I do not have a job that can make me go green and I don't fancy playing games in screens the size of movie theaters my RX-460 is keeping me happy for now...I am tempted to spend all my christmas bonus for an R9...but I want some money left...so I will just look with glistening eyes to the boys in green and the upper echelons in red with their crossfiring and exquisite cooling systems...gtx 1060 looks yummy though...

meh... I always go red ever since...because I do not have a job that can make me go green and I don't fancy playing games in screens the size of movie theaters my RX-460 is keeping me happy for now...I am tempted to spend all my christmas bonus for an R9...but I want some money left...so I will just look with glistening eyes to the boys in green and the upper echelons in red with their crossfiring and exquisite cooling systems...gtx 1060 looks yummy though...

Red = AMD.

Green = Nvidia

right?

and don't buy a Radeon r9 330, 340, 350, 360, 370, 380, 380x, 390 or 390x because they are all last gen.

and the nano/fury cards are a failed first attempt at HBM memory and not for the average consumer.

Your rx 460 should be more then enough for skyrim or any AAA title at 1080p, And you don't need a "movie theaters" size display to use Nvidia GPU's.

• 3 weeks later...

Red = AMD.

Green = Nvidia

right?

and don't buy a Radeon r9 330, 340, 350, 360, 370, 380, 380x, 390 or 390x because they are all last gen.

and the nano/fury cards are a failed first attempt at HBM memory and not for the average consumer.

Your rx 460 should be more then enough for skyrim or any AAA title at 1080p, And you don't need a "movie theaters" size display to use Nvidia GPU's.

Why did you say not to buy R9 which are all last gen? I can't understand, I mean R9 are not last gen, I have this one bought last year

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=37BE40BB-7273-46B8-9E32-A8C13262ABE9&lang=eng

would you recommend a different better AMD gpu or Nvidia?

and one more thing, to play AAA games is it underdesigned, according to you? or can I safely wait before changing it?

However, I have to wait months for some reason but going beyond the whole year is impossible? what do you think.

I'm so sorry for all these questions but I'm interested about it. ;)

Red = AMD.

Green = Nvidia

right?

Why did you say not to buy R9 which are all last gen? I can't understand, I mean R9 are not last gen, I have this one bought last year

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=37BE40BB-7273-46B8-9E32-A8C13262ABE9&lang=eng

would you recommend a different better AMD gpu or Nvidia?

and one more thing, to play AAA games is it underdesigned, according to you? or can I safely wait before changing it?

However, I have to wait months for some reason but going beyond the whole year is impossible? what do you think.

I'm so sorry for all these questions but I'm interested about it. ;)

All AMD Card's from before 2015 are old card with a new name, so don't buy the r7/9 2/300 series. If you want to buy a AMD gpu go for the RX 400 series or beyond. For Nvidia GPU's the same just buy the newest generation (1000 series).

But if you bought a card in the last 2 years upgrading wouldn't really be necessary.

Many posters in this thread are saying they run all games on 1080p with their 1060.. Well OF COURSE guys! I have R9 290 (its not the X version even) and I run all games on 1080p full blown with 50-60 fps. The most recent resource "hungry" game that I played was Gears of War 4 which I finished in split screen with wifey - full blown, almost locked 60fps with a few dips to high 40s for a few seconds mostly during the loading between the sections. I always turn off the DoF and the Bloom in the games though, since I don't like those effects, but I don't think they suck that much of the fps.

1080p is not a problem for the GPUs released in the recent years. Of course if we don't count the unoptimized pos games which doesn't mean anything about some GPU. Such example is the new Deus Ex, even the beast 1080 is not doing very well. So if you aim for 1080p, even 970 (which kidna on par with the R9 290) will do it just fine. The 1k series are for higher res than 1080p. 

Just my 2c. 

EDIT: Btw what "last gen" is supposed to mean? My 290 was DX12 ready even if its an old GPU. Almost all video cards released by this time were DX12 ready, how is DX12 last gen? 

Many posters in this thread are saying they run all games on 1080p with their 1060.. Well OF COURSE guys! I have R9 290 (its not the X version even) and I run all games on 1080p full blown with 50-60 fps. The most recent resource "hungry" game that I played was Gears of War 4 which I finished in split screen with wifey - full blown, almost locked 60fps with a few dips to high 40s for a few seconds mostly during the loading between the sections. I always turn off the DoF and the Bloom in the games though, since I don't like those effects, but I don't think they suck that much of the fps.

1080p is not a problem for the GPUs released in the recent years. Of course if we don't count the unoptimized pos games which doesn't mean anything about some GPU. Such example is the new Deus Ex, even the beast 1080 is not doing very well. So if you aim for 1080p, even 970 (which kidna on par with the R9 290) will do it just fine. The 1k series are for higher res than 1080p. 

Just my 2c. 

EDIT: Btw what "last gen" is supposed to mean? My 290 was DX12 ready even if its an old GPU. My video cars released by this time were DX12 ready, how is DX12 last gen? 

it doesn't work like that, my gtx 660 from 2012 supports dx12 does that make it current gen? NO.

Every year the GPU manufacturers release their new line if GPU's making that the current gen and everything before that last gen.

Lucky us we don't have a company to tell us that we can't play our new games on last gen hardware, go PC!

Just my 2c. 

EDIT: Btw what "last gen" is supposed to mean? My 290 was DX12 ready even if its an old GPU. My video cars released by this time were DX12 ready, how is DX12 last gen? 

Video card generation can be pretty murky nowadays unless one keeps up with the technical press.

Until the noughties it was almost always referring to manufacturing "generations" called die shrink in which the circuits get smaller.  A chip of same size in new generation would pack more circuits so it's more powerful or designers can add more feature.  Old designs manufactured with the new generation tech would be smaller so cheaper and cooler.  Manufacturers would need to retool almost the entire factory, often building new ones from scratch.     

That reference broke down steadily over the years.  First some designs lasted multiple manufacturing generations to get the same stuff like memory ever cheaper, then recently as building new factories getting astronomically more expensive chip makers need to design new products within each generation of manufacturing technology.  Basically they have to figure out ways to do more with the same real estate.  So today the generation is usually referred to a chip's core architecture vs. the old days the generation is usually referred to a chip's manufacturing process.     

GPU makers further make things worse by adopting the practice of generation re-branding that has nothing to do with architectural or manufacturing changes.  Several GTX7xx series cards are just GTX6xx in a new box.  Both AMD and Nvidia commit this sin.

PS: DirectX "ready" and "feature" complete are two different things.  DX12 "ready" can just mean the card has Windows 10 drivers but does not mean it has all the features of DX12.  GPU makers work with DirectX team years in advance so it's pretty easy to get previous gen video cards to be current DirectX "ready".  Each generation of DirectX "feature" games always come toward the end of DirectX cycle (no reason for developers to add features if there isn't enough cards installed) so there is usually no real world relevance of DirctX "ready".  It's mostly a marketing jargon.

I still haven't seen any restricted or grayed out features in any DX12 game <.< 

Also peculiaris I dunno if you are implying this but just because one GPU is "last gen" (as you call it) it doesn't mean is bad and it won't perform well with the new games. This strongly applies to the 1080p category. There are LOTS of kinda old cards which do perfectly fine running the games full blown. You are not forced to buy a new GPU every year just to run the newest games maxed out. The 4k gaming is different story but for 1080p its just like that. 

zzz72w3r never said anything about the rebranding mate, long live the GTS 250 btw (mine is still alive and kicking lol) ^^

Archived