Why no custom followers with hdt hair?

As nice as it looks (at times), HDT is problematic for many people.... as in issues with followers disappearing before your eyes, etc, etc.

​Another example are the HDT cloaks...... depending on your setup / load on the engine, they bug out at times and you see this "carpet" of a cloak stretching across the sky from somewhere over the hills yonder.

​And yet another example with HDT I recently read on another site made me chuckle.... it was a HDT vagina mod....... the dude was saying it was freaking him out as he would look around and notice that her inside gear (lol) was now outside gear stretching off into the sky....rofl.

​Suffice to say, HDT is an awesome thing, but the issues it presents in this game/engine for many ppl keep them away from such things..... which would explain modders not making many of them. Obviously, these issues reduce FPS as well.... and we all know that that is the line many folks will not cross...... in this game anyway.

​I forget the full name of one mod I tried a good while ago, but the character was called Maria Rose or something Rose. She was placed in the Mages College basement.

​A cute follower, but when she got outside the college, eventually the issue of her disappearing would eventually crop up. Sure... she would materialize if you reloaded, or went through a loading door.... but it was too annoying and why I dumped her anyway (plus, she didn't like that Thalmor guy Ancarno at all.... and would kick his ass when I initially went in there.

1. Very few hair has HDT.  Face-fu masters tend to be picky on how their creation looks.

2. HDT hair effects don't look very good.

3. HDT hair can glitch like crazy depending on individual's setup.  I had a couple really well made followers using HDT hairs and both authors removed HDT hair from their updates saying its basically just not worth it.

As soon as a modder puts out a custom Follower he or she is essentially responsible for it. If you've looked over the Nexus forums for individual mods at all you know how... well, unintelligent a lot of the posts are. "The mod don't work," "This mod crashed my game!," "Why doesn't it look like the Follower in your screencaps?," "Why don't girls like me?!" And those are for a normal, stand alone Follower. Now add in HDT hair. HDT anything, really. All of a sudden not only is the mod author footing questions about general installation and troubleshooting some 15 year old's borked load order, now he or she is also responsible for whenever the Follower's hair suddenly goes insane and stretches into infinity. And with HDT being so finicky, chances are good it's not even the fault of the Follower mod that things aren't working right.

Long story short, it's just not worth the aggravation. Most people who do like HDT hair effects use them strictly for their own private game installs. No one wants to be responsible for troubleshooting that nonsense.

Most of the people running HDT boobs can't handle that much, in addition to refusing to run Skyrim at a level where HDT works ->like it's supposed to<- which means rock solid 60fps no matter what. When you insist on running it at 15-30 frames with all your glamor mods at a resolution your system can barely handle, HDT isn't going to work right, and the longer the IK chain you're replacing, the more likely it is to completely spaz out, so hair becomes the worst offender outside of two-bone-three mesh vajayjays.

Add onto that the rtfm specialness that is the largest Skyrim file hub, and it's not hard to figure why only Baidu is brave enough to try it.

As soon as a modder puts out a custom Follower he or she is essentially responsible for it. If you've looked over the Nexus forums for individual mods at all you know how... well, unintelligent a lot of the posts are. "The mod don't work," "This mod crashed my game!," "Why doesn't it look like the Follower in your screencaps?," "Why don't girls like me?!" And those are for a normal, stand alone Follower. Now add in HDT hair. HDT anything, really. All of a sudden not only is the mod author footing questions about general installation and troubleshooting some 15 year old's borked load order, now he or she is also responsible for whenever the Follower's hair suddenly goes insane and stretches into infinity. And with HDT being so finicky, chances are good it's not even the fault of the Follower mod that things aren't working right.

Long story short, it's just not worth the aggravation. Most people who do like HDT hair effects use them strictly for their own private game installs. No one wants to be responsible for troubleshooting that nonsense.

Thank you. Sum up everything in one post. People wonder why mod authors lock comment section or refuse answer dumbass questions on Nexus.

Archived