Fallout 4 - Remove all guns. No really.... laser swords... (mod idea)

xenic

When the CK/GECK comes out I'm going to see if this is doable. I'm fairly certain I know enough to replace guns with swords, it'll take a long time to do it but it should be doable.

I had the idea while talking with a friend. We were discussing how we both loved Skyrim's combat because it was up close and personal. That got me to thinking about Fallout. Where does the ammo come from? Who makes it? I'm sure by now we'd be almost out of bullets... Then I imagined people carrying laser swords and laser daggers. Imagine a sword with a laser traveling along the edge instead of a sharp point. From a scifi standpoint, it sounds cool. I plan on leaving laser guns and nukes in game just to make it all the more fun. 

I am not good at texturing or making models so I will need some help. 

What I need:

Someone to make a texture and mesh for a laser sword and laser dagger. Nothing too fancy seeing as how there will be lots of people carrying these.  Any help will be appreciated.

Guest endgameaddiction

meh... Fallout and all about guns and guns and guns. I always preferred a super sledgehammer to crush someone's head over an AR. Though, I don't mind guns, but I don't like that Fallout focuses too much on guns and not enough melee.

I suppose melee isn't that popular still? If so, I bet melee animations still sucks balls.

Guest endgameaddiction

I'm not discouraging. But if Bugfiesta only provided limited melee animation, it's gonna be some wonky ass stuff. Sword melee animation for Fallout 3 and NV was pure crap. Then you have MB1 to attack and MB2 to block. And then no dual wielding.

Bethesda never much cared for melee in Fallout. They rather see guns in a wasteland open world as a very common thing scattered around the world, when the truth is, most guns after so long are more than likely scavenged already or have weathered really bad to be of any use. So maybe that cotton pouch bag of pebbles will do for the time being until you can bash someones head and snatch their pistol.

See, in Both TES and FO, weapons are so common that it doesn't feel very rewarding to find a weapon that makes you want to hold on to it instead. You'll never really feel like your nearly pinned against the wall with some shitty weapon because eventually you can be some rat pack with 20 10mm pistols in your inventory so you don't really have the sense of survival of the fittest feel.

Guns should of been very very rare. And ammunition for that matter. The game should make you think twice before you sell off that piece because it might still serve you some purpose until you actually find something much better.

I'm not discouraging. But if Bugfiesta only provided limited melee animation, it's gonna be some wonky ass stuff. Sword melee animation for Fallout 3 and NV was pure crap. Then you have MB1 to attack and MB2 to block. And then no dual wielding.

Bethesda never much cared for melee in Fallout. They rather see guns in a wasteland open world as a very common thing scattered around the world, when the truth is, most guns after so long are more than likely scavenged already or have weathered really bad to be of any use. So maybe that cotton pouch bag of pebbles will do for the time being until you can bash someones head and snatch their pistol.

See, in Both TES and FO, weapons are so common that it doesn't feel very rewarding to find a weapon that makes you want to hold on to it instead. You'll never really feel like your nearly pinned against the wall with some shitty weapon because eventually you can be some rat pack with 20 10mm pistols in your inventory so you don't really have the sense of survival of the fittest feel.

Guns should of been very very rare. And ammunition for that matter. The game should make you think twice before you sell off that piece because it might still serve you some purpose until you actually find something much better.

What you say enters in conflict with the general purpose of Sandbox games, trying to force a character into a certain atmosphere is more common for games with a linear story and a premade character. Also FO4 world...is about war, and war is about guns and explosives; people in FO sacrifice everything to have a gun to defend themselves, I'm sure those raiders know how to make the crappy guns they usually have, and the band leaders are more keen to have better weapons scrapped from old military bases...For me it makes sense, even if I will apreciate less weapons for the shake of survival experiences, I still think it makes sense.

It's a cool idea, though one that's limited by the game engine. You could probably do it once the GECK comes out, but I don't think the end result will be worth the effort. Skyrim's lackluster combat is probably how it'll end up like.

Lore-wise, guns and ammunition aren't in limited supply- ammo presses are still functional, and arms manufacturing is still possible. The Gun Runners from NV are highly regarded because they design and manufacture their own products. The Enclave, insidious assholes though they are, were no slouches when it came to R&D- if they could manufacture their own power armor, they could certainly build their own weaponry. In The Pitt DLC for FO3, one of the big reasons the Pitt is sought after is because it has a fully functional ammo press. There's also the introduction of Pipe weaponry, which is obviously cobbled together from old junk.

While the idea does sound kinda cool, isn't the same question you asked about where the guns and ammo are coming from relevant here as well, in this case who is making all these laser swords and daggers, after all the tech required to make them would be considerably higher than needed to make guns and ammo.

And its pretty much implied that the NCR and Brotherhood of Steel all produce their own ammo and guns otherwise how the hell do they field so many well armed people, finding or looting it just does not work considering the number of troops they both field.

While the idea does sound kinda cool, isn't the same question you asked about where the guns and ammo are coming from relevant here as well, in this case who is making all these laser swords and daggers, after all the tech required to make them would be considerably higher than needed to make guns and ammo.

And its pretty much implied that the NCR and Brotherhood of Steel all produce their own ammo and guns otherwise how the hell do they field so many well armed people, finding or looting it just does not work considering the number of troops they both field.

Possible to get around by making still-functioning laser blades "cream of the crop" weapons.  Very rare, very difficult to repair, but valued over things that use physical ammunition.  Most lesser weapons are physical blades of iron or crude steel, moving up through better forging techniques to scavenged modern-day blades before getting to the top tier of sci-fi stuff.

I can't be of help on the textures. But, I think it's an interesting idea and hope you go through with it.

I was just thinking about the gameplay and how I'd like to lessen the availability of guns/ammo. Not completely remove them.  But, I think it would be more interesting if it wasn't so easy to obtain or make guns/ammo.

Archived