Cure Strong of the FEV

Gwenstn

So I was thinking, now that we know we can cure Virgil of the FEV, why not cure Strong.. and make him or her a romancable companion. Given that the FEW removes all sexual characteristics, Strong could conceivably be either gender. Would probably take a lot of work, but just throwing ideas around.

Guest MonsterFish

So I was thinking, now that we know we can cure Virgil of the FEV, why not cure Strong.. and make him or her a romancable companion. Given that the FEW removes all sexual characteristics, Strong could conceivably be either gender. Would probably take a lot of work, but just throwing ideas around.

Arbritary post inbound: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/55096-until-geck-comes-out-we-cant-make-stuff/

But aside from that, this is actually a very nice idea. Problem I see with it lore-wise is that it makes sense that the FEV cure could only work on people that are made into a super mutant like Virgil, not born into it. It's never really explained but it's implied that they're born/grown as supermutants inside the vats in the Institute. I wouldn't know how they reproduce more super mutants since the only vats of the FEV virus I found are inside the Institute.

(But hey, I'm not gonna blame people for breaking the lore (heh) every once in a while)

I tried this with ED-E back in Fallout NV http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/36339/?%20fake%20plastic%20trees

Had no prior experience with modding, so didn't realize how much I had bitten off. Plus, I did it without having ever played the game beyond Goodsprings :o

It was pretty hard, had to create a new NPC, then change all of the references in all of the quests/scripts to point at and use that model. I burned out and never finished it, originally was going to have dialogue, one of the speech synthesizer programs do the voice so it sounded somewhat robotic, dialogue for fun as you educate your new companion about being human and having a human body.

Anyway, it's was a huge project, not a simple matter of just changing a model or texture

Arbritary post inbound: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/55096-until-geck-comes-out-we-cant-make-stuff/

But aside from that, this is actually a very nice idea. Problem I see with it lore-wise is that it makes sense that the FEV cure could only work on people that are made into a super mutant like Virgil, not born into it. It's never really explained but it's implied that they're born/grown as supermutants inside the vats in the Institute. I wouldn't know how they reproduce more super mutants since the only vats of the FEV virus I found are inside the Institute.

(But hey, I'm not gonna blame people for breaking the lore (heh) every once in a while)

Not quite right.  FEV didn't originate from the Institute, nor did super mutants.  FEV was around Pre-War and was largely a military project.  Long-story-short, FEV ended up being used in the Post-War wasteland to create an army of super mutants.  The Institute was only studying and researching FEV and the super mutants, and yes, it involved creating some, but it's doubtful that the super mutants on the surface were created by them in this way and released (certainly not the majority); the Institute isn't that stupid or careless.

Guest MonsterFish

Not quite right.  FEV didn't originate from the Institute, nor did super mutants.  FEV was around Pre-War and was largely a military project.  Long-story-short, FEV ended up being used in the Post-War wasteland to create an army of super mutants.  The Institute was only studying and researching FEV and the super mutants, and yes, it involved creating some, but it's doubtful that the super mutants on the surface were created by them in this way and released (certainly not the majority); the Institute isn't that stupid or careless.

From the Super Mutant (Fallout 4) Fallout Wikia page

'The Commonwealth's strain of super mutant is unrelated to the West Coast and Vault 87 breeds, but they do share many similar traits such as caging their prey, bagging organs and various body parts, and having a great sense of superiority over humans, very similar to Vault 87 mutants seen in Fallout 3.

The super mutants encountered in the Commonwealth are in fact failed FEV experiments created and disposed of by The Institute. They were once normal people, who were then kidnapped and experimented on inside the FEV lab of the Bioscience Division under the direction of Dr. Brian Virgil. This ended when Virgil went rogue and shut down the FEV program permanently due to the regret of hurting so many people over the years. He states that the program has been active for at least 10 years, all the way back to the events of Fallout 3, but likely it has been around much longer due to the large amount of mutants present in the Commonwealth.'

Though they look the same as the Masters army, they're completely different (In general terms). They're created in the same vain, but they're all (probably) created within the institute. However after reading this it does say that they were "once normal people, who were then kidnapped and experimented on." So this is entirely possible. Assuming Strong wasn't born due to breeding between Super Mutants.

Edit: Right sorry yeah I re-read that, brain fart. Yeah, I never implicity said that FEV was only found in the institute, but within the Commonwealth it is the only ones I could find. I doubt that supermutants would walk to Vault 87 and then back again each time they needed a new supermutant.

yep, just kinda spit balling ideas. Seemed interesting, especially given how many people I've heard loved Curie's story of self discovery. But yeah, as Strong's never really given any background, we don't know if he (or her) were originally a settler, or where they even originated from. We'd also have to go about how to even get Strong to take the cure to begin with, given how much he dislikes it when you apply it to Virgil.

Granted you could also completely ignore that and break the lore, yeah.

Guest MonsterFish

Strong wanted to obtain "milk of human kindness" - serium is that milk. Captain Obvoius says hello. Why Beth didn't brought this to logical end is a mystery to me.

I never though of this and you just blew my mind.

Except I'm pretty sure the 'Milk of human kindness' is Strong taking the Shakespearen quote too literally.

Strong wanted to obtain "milk of human kindness" - serium is that milk. Captain Obvoius says hello. Why Beth didn't brought this to logical end is a mystery to me.

I never though of this and you just blew my mind.

Except I'm pretty sure the 'Milk of human kindness' is Strong taking the Shakespearen quote too literally.

Indeed, Srong took Shakespear literally. And it brings sadness to me hearing "Strong hopes we'll find milk of human kindness soon" even after you gain his loyality. You can have up to 5 mysterious serum samples from Cabot's quest line. Spare one to him and everybody are happy.

Well as far as super mutants breeding, its been stated before in fallout lore that super mutants don't have the required parts for reproduction. Every super mutant in existence is a direct product of the FEV in one capacity or another, and they have been known to go hunting humans simply to infect them and convert them to more super mutants.

That's not to say these commonwealth varieties must follow the exact same pattern, after all the FEV (forced evolution virus) is a living thing itself and could easily change over time to adapt its host to whatever conditions that pop up. So while not strictly lore friendly it can allow some wiggle room with the right reasoning.

Never occured to you why there is a number in "Fallout 3"?

There are at least 3 known and canon strains of FEV.

1. The one originating in Mariposa Military Base (Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics, Fallout New Vegas).

2. The one originating in Vault 87 (Fallout 3).

3. The one used by the Institute (Fallout 4) possibly a refined version of FEV from Vault 87 otherwise a completely unrelated strain.

1. Mariposa super mutants retain their genitals, sex drive and not highly irradiated humans retain their intelligence.

2. FEV-87 are genderless husks with barely enough intelligence to talk, with very few exceptions (Fawkes).

3. Visually much closer to Mariposa strain, initially mental capabilities are preserved, but soon after degradate relatively quickly over time.

4. A very rare exception to Mariposa strain are mutants that pretty much can't be differenced from your average radiation-made ghouls (Harold).

More examples of FEV.

The most iconic and deadliest:

Deathclaws, FEV takes no toll on their reproduction capabilities, moreso, seems to boost them. Also, should a deathclaw gain higher intelligence they are actually very civil (Screw Chris Avellone, intelligent deathclaws are still alive!).

And here my inner lore-nerd was unleashed again. Goddamnit.

Now I really, really want to find an intelligent Deathclaw chilling in the library in the safehouse-basement of some rich knob's house out in the Wasteland. Just... sitting on a bed against the wall like a couch (normal couches are too small) surrounded by piles and piles of books.

"You know, half the pages of these books are burned. I haven't finished an entire book in two years. They just fall apart in my hands. I've tried clipping my claws, and I'm very careful, but some of them just crumble to dust before I even open the pages."

"I don't suppose you have any intact books with you? I may have some materials of value for you."

"Will you take unfertilized eggs? I hear they're a delicacy for your kind, and they're no use to me. Alas, no traders would stop to talk to me to try to trade..."

Then you can trade it Overdue Books for stuff her eggs, or stuff they've found in the commonwealth. Hell, give her enough books and she'll probably give you an egg every two weeks or something if you visit her.

"What? Oh, we're like those 'chicken' things you used to have. Out pop the eggs, regardless of whether they're fertilized or not. I believe we used to eat the unfertilized ones, but it just feels a little strange for me to do that now."

Now I really, really want to find an intelligent Deathclaw chilling in the library in the safehouse-basement of some rich knob's house out in the Wasteland. Just... sitting on a bed against the wall like a couch (normal couches are too small) surrounded by piles and piles of books.

"You know, half the pages of these books are burned. I haven't finished an entire book in two years. They just fall apart in my hands. I've tried clipping my claws, and I'm very careful, but some of them just crumble to dust before I even open the pages."

"I don't suppose you have any intact books with you? I may have some materials of value for you."

"Will you take unfertilized eggs? I hear they're a delicacy for your kind, and they're no use to me. Alas, no traders would stop to talk to me to try to trade..."

Then you can trade it Overdue Books for stuff her eggs, or stuff they've found in the commonwealth. Hell, give her enough books and she'll probably give you an egg every two weeks or something if you visit her.

"What? Oh, we're like those 'chicken' things you used to have. Out pop the eggs, regardless of whether they're fertilized or not. I believe we used to eat the unfertilized ones, but it just feels a little strange for me to do that now."

Exactly how do you image Deathclaw with book in a paw? Can it turn a single page with enormous sharp claw? With glasses on its face?

Sitting on a couch, snacking unnamed raider while reading a tiny book?

For real, man if you are up to jorney to find this deathclaw take me with you - wouldn't miss this view for anything.

I can bring a hemp. :angel: 

Exactly how do you image Deathclaw with book in a paw? Can it turn a single page with enormous sharp claw? With glasses on its face?

For real, man if you are up to jorney to find this deathclaw take me with you - wouldn't miss this view for anything.

Well, that's pretty much Goris from Fallout 2, alright. Except for the "snacking unnamed raider" part.

Nah, it props the books up on tables (or old pieces of metal it bent into shape itself), sort of like sheet music stands. Then yeah, it turns the pages with a single claw. Or maybe it files down its claws on one hand to make it easier.

There was a Terry Pratchett book I read, Strata I think? There was a character in there from a Warrior Race that had... either her horn or her claws detatchable? Such a thing was unthinkable in their race - it was a sign of status. But she'd modified hers so she could unscrew them so she didn't wreck every book she read.

Well as far as super mutants breeding, its been stated before in fallout lore that super mutants don't have the required parts for reproduction.

False. Vault 87 super mutants don't have their sex characteristics anymore. Mariposa super mutants do. You can bang a mutant you meet in a bar in Fallout 2, there's an arguing old super mutant couple in one of the houses, and you can get hookers for Marcus at the Cat's Paw.

Archived