Serana keeps walking away.

She keeps walking away. Shes still "following" me but she always walks away. driving me insane. It first happened after I got to the soul cairn portal room. Like what the fuck. She just kept walking out the way we came in. I gathered the 3 ingredients and teleported her to the top of the balcony thing overlooking the portal, put the shit in the bowl and i had to talk to her but her ass (even though it is a nice ass) keeps walking away. Straight out the door. i have to tell her to "do something" and wait on the balcony overlooking the portal. And when i exit command mode she just starts walking off again. I cant talk to her about giving her blood tot he bowl because she just keeps walking off. So i skipped that part with the console stuff yeh, and she started following me again, thats great. I decided to become soul trapped just before we enter the portal then boom she starts walking off again. Ok whatever i went through the portal knowing she would follow.

were in the soul cairn and shes following me again. thats great. We get to her mom and the dialogue and she fuckin starts walking away mid conversation. now her moms standing there arguing with herself like a damn psychopath.

Saving and exiting then starting up again doesnt fix it.

From the UESPWiki entry on Serena (a useful resource for vanilla bugs):

After being asked to "wait" or being dismissed as a follower, she may not have the option to follow again.

• This bug is fixed by version 2.0.2 of the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.
  • To bring back the "Come with me" dialogue after dismissing Serana, enter the code sqv DLC1NPCMentalModel in the console. You are given a long list of information. Scroll down the list using the up and down arrows, and make sure that the following codes: CanFollow_var = True / IsFollowing_var = True / IsWaiting_var = True / TurnOffComeWithMe_var = False / LockedIn_var = False are in order by looking at the false/true (i.e., if LockedIn_var was set to true then you need to put it to false). To do this, enter the following command: setpqv DLC1NPCMentalModel LockedIn_var False. Once you do this you should be able to recruit Serana to be your follower again.
  • To get Serana following again after asking her to "Wait", go somewhere far away (like inside Fort Dawnguard) and wait three to five days.

It should also be noted that some mods can interfere with Serena's behaviour. In particular My Home is Your Home and other mods that allow you to alter NPC home locations can cause her to constantly try to go "home" rather than attend to an active quest scene.

Follower mods like Amazing Follow Tweaks or Ultimate Follower Overhaul can occasionally bug out and prevent regular followers from offering the expected "follow me" dialogue. Such mods will typically have a reset option or spell you can use.

From the UESPWiki entry on Serena (a useful resource for vanilla bugs):

After being asked to "wait" or being dismissed as a follower, she may not have the option to follow again.

• This bug is fixed by version 2.0.2 of the Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.
  • To bring back the "Come with me" dialogue after dismissing Serana, enter the code sqv DLC1NPCMentalModel in the console. You are given a long list of information. Scroll down the list using the up and down arrows, and make sure that the following codes: CanFollow_var = True / IsFollowing_var = True / IsWaiting_var = True / TurnOffComeWithMe_var = False / LockedIn_var = False are in order by looking at the false/true (i.e., if LockedIn_var was set to true then you need to put it to false). To do this, enter the following command: setpqv DLC1NPCMentalModel LockedIn_var False. Once you do this you should be able to recruit Serana to be your follower again.
  • To get Serana following again after asking her to "Wait", go somewhere far away (like inside Fort Dawnguard) and wait three to five days.

It should also be noted that some mods can interfere with Serena's behaviour. In particular My Home is Your Home and other mods that allow you to alter NPC home locations can cause her to constantly try to go "home" rather than attend to an active quest scene.

Follower mods like Amazing Follow Tweaks or Ultimate Follower Overhaul can occasionally bug out and prevent regular followers from offering the expected "follow me" dialogue. Such mods will typically have a reset option or spell you can use.

Ty for your reply, It makes sense that it would be a bug with my home is your home

• 4 months later...

Same with me. Using MHIYH. Great mod, not getting rid of it, so how do we fix this?

Which version of MHIYH are you using?

If you are using the original by Volek (v1.2.1), I believe the general consensus was that it was a bit buggy and that Volek decided to stop supporting it and pass the ball to other modders instead.

For some reason or other, v3.1 came out by another author, but he decided to pull the file from the Nexus and pass the ball to yet another modder, who created v4.3. Unfortunately, the newest author found a Japanese (might of been Chinese, just know it was an Asian language) translation of the mod on another site, which linked back to the original mod on the Nexus. For some reason, he didn't like this and decided to pull the mod, so the Nexus no longer has any non-buggy, supported versions of MHIYH.

I was getting some issues with MHIYH as well until I switched to 4.3, and everything seemed to solve itself.

Despite it no longer being on the Nexus, as the internet will always be the internet, if you google "My Home Is Your Home 4.3g" then you will be able to find a download.

Although, if you were already using the updated version and bugs were persisting, then I'm not quite sure how to help you, and I wish you good luck.

• 2 years later...

whiterun siege, run for your ass package is load on npc

serena, sofia, recorder, pikachu.. aren't npc with whatever the condition is to not load the package on the npc

so they get the package, and run to their home, like the town npc

run for you ass package have condition global variable siegedone = 0

if you get a dump during the siege

and the script that was supposed to update global variable siegedone to 1 is drop

siegedone isn't updated to 1

and the run for you ass package stay activated on those npc forever

unless you know what is the problem, and update yourself whatever should be updated to fix the problem

it's because of that they say to dismiss followers during the civil war (and other stuff, don't remember)

run for you ass have highter priority than follow dragonborn

so they don't follow dragonborn, they run to their home

• 1 year later...
On 4/15/2018 at 8:38 AM, yatol said:

whiterun siege, run for your ass package is load on npc

serena, sofia, recorder, pikachu.. aren't npc with whatever the condition is to not load the package on the npc

so they get the package, and run to their home, like the town npc

run for you ass package have condition global variable siegedone = 0

if you get a dump during the siege

and the script that was supposed to update global variable siegedone to 1 is drop

siegedone isn't updated to 1

and the run for you ass package stay activated on those npc forever

unless you know what is the problem, and update yourself whatever should be updated to fix the problem

it's because of that they say to dismiss followers during the civil war (and other stuff, don't remember)

run for you ass have highter priority than follow dragonborn

so they don't follow dragonborn, they run to their home

@yatol - Sorry, I can't follow this. I'm assuming that English is not your first language, most of it doesn't make sense. Could some kind heart who understands what is happening here translate it into English with correct English grammar.

Thanks and sorry Yatol although if English is your first language then you really should relive your school years and listen to your  English teacher.  ;) 

On 6/19/2019 at 5:42 AM, KayjayUK said:

@yatol - Sorry, I can't follow this. I'm assuming that English is not your first language, most of it doesn't make sense. Could some kind heart who understands what is happening here translate it into English with correct English grammar.

Thanks and sorry Yatol although if English is your first language then you really should relive your school years and listen to your  English teacher.  ;) 

New ai package has been added to npc that has higher priority than the ai package recieved from quest (scripted) update or from base npc ai package so npc is now going to follow this ai package and doesn't update with your interaction with the npc or with any other quest updates.

My home is your home or run for your lives both could be causes of the walk away issue, other problems especially noticeable on serena who often gets stuck in that stupid idle routine because at least for me it starts at the worst possible time.

Don't use my home is your home on serana or any modded npc who does not use base game ai packages for follower because you will have problems with it, you can use it when you are done with them at least I have with no problems but I have never tried to recruit them again later so I don't know if it's ever a good idea.

On 6/19/2019 at 12:42 PM, KayjayUK said:

most of it doesn't make sense.

don't see anything hard to understand when i google translate that

if you have no idea what are dumps, run for your ass idle or whatever, google that, no idea why behavior x is load over behavior y on your npc, and the only one that can find why, it's the one that can check his npc, i won't waste my time with a useless guessing game because some are too lazy to load tesedit, check npc in console or whatever

Archived