Sexout Offspring Suggestion: Nameable babies

Nihtgenga2

Hey, my character got knocked up a while ago, and she gave birth today. I got to thinking- no one would call their kid Hispanic Baby or whatever. I ended up using console commands to rename her, but I think being able to name your children as part of the mod would be a great feature.

I haven't the slightest clue how you'd go about implementing this or I'd try it myself. Still, I thought I'd make the suggestion.

Due to game engine limitations, that's currently impossible. It might be possible for NVSE and/or NX to find a way to do so in the future, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. While using the SetName command has worked out for now, if you have another child of the same race and gender they'll have the same name. This is because the children aren't unique entities. Rather, like pretty much everything else present in the game world, they're references to a base object that determines almost everything about them, in this case an NPC with the HispanicChild race, a female gender flag, and the name "Hispanic Baby". Every time Pregnancy creates a new child it uses one of these base objects, and there's one for each possible race/gender combination. What the SetName command does is rename the base object, and since all the copies in the game world are still referencing the base object then they all change their name accordingly. There's also no way to create a base object on the fly, so even though SCR could theoretically include several copies of the base NPC just for this reason, it would still have to loop anyway so there's really no point to inflating the record count.

I think you could do this and support an arbitrary number of offspring using SetName on a TempCloneForm.

However, since the forms are temporary, you would have to save their details somewhere else and recreate them whenever the game is restarted. This will require some heavy scripting, but if that doesn't scare you off, would probably be quite interesting to figure out ;).

Actually I think it is, someone here on the forums showed me how and I'm pretty sure I had implemented it into the latest Offspring beta I was working on just before my SSD shit itself, hopefully I will get it back from the data recovery company this week so I can start modding again.

SODRL (Sexout Dynamic Relationships) has a "Rename NPC" function deep in it's NPC customization menu.  Being of the scripting-deficient kind I can't make out how in Sam Hill it works, but it does actually rename them - and it's Save safe.  They stay renamed. Sometimes after a rename, when I go into the Pipboy the name showing under my Vault Girl image is the new name that I just entered for my NPC, but it is not persistent, and does not appear again in subsequent saves.  My current playthrough is an Alt. Start in Vault 3, and lemme tell you, seeing some 2 dozen male Fiends named "FIEND" gets to be a big headache after about 5 minutes if you plan to do anything more than explode them.

Whatever "Rename" functionality is in SODRL seems stable - I've renamed some 15 Fiends as .. well, named characters, and haven't crashed anything  (yet).  Of course, what it's doing behind the scenes may not mesh with SOPregnanacy/Offspring functionality at all.

TL;DR - there's a way to do it,  but that method may not work at all with Pregnancy/Offspring.  I plead the non-programmer's 5th, and immediately shut up and get out of the way for people who know what they're doing to continue actual contributions to the conversation.   :blush: 

Ouch, good luck with that then.

TL;DR - there's a way to do it,  but that method may not work at all with Pregnancy/Offspring.  I plead the non-programmer's 5th, and immediately shut up and get out of the way for people who know what they're doing to continue actual contributions to the conversation.   :blush: 

So, no way to rename babies, but once they 'grow up' to child NPCs, then they can be renamed. Good to know.

An alternative to SODRL is Lutana Renamer Rifle, which is exactly what it says on the tin- a laser rifle that lets you rename people you shoot with it (and is set to do 0 damage). It claims that namechanges are persistent through saves and loads, but I haven't actually used it yet to confirm.

Again, no guarantee it won't conflict with SO Offspring, but worth a shot.

Archived