HDT Havok Physics Issue when indoors or underground.

kyukatsuki

The problem I have is that ALL of my Havok Physics are going crazy indoors or underground.  It's like the character is bumping into invisible objects.  Breasts get hit by invisible things, and the hair flaps around for no reason.  It doesn't happen all of the time either.  Sometimes, the physics work perfectly and outdoors it's almost always great, but specifically when the character is in a place like Jail for example, the Physics go nuts.

I've tested this multiple times and this problem happens in Jail 100% of the time.  I haven't had a Jail sentence that didn't involve my HDT Physics going crazy.

It even seems to be affecting normal objects as well!  Random items from shelves or tables will fly off in random directions as if shot from a cannon.

I'm not sure of this is related, but I also seem to have a problem with animals being flung into the sky only to plumet to their deaths.  I've seen many a wolf come crashing down in the distance. . . .

I run the latest version of HDTs Physics Extension 12-29, along with HDTs High Heels system, and the HDT Ponytail.

I have the Extended XP32 skeleton provided at http://www.loverslab.com/topic/25971-xp32-maximum-skeleton-extended/

I do not have ENB or SweetFX installed at this time, but might consider it later.  (more than enough horsepower to run it)

I have the latest version of SKSE, and a very light selection of other mods at this time.

I've seen threads about breasts crushing, but nothing that is THIS specific...  I really hope you can help me on this one.

Thanks,

Kyu-

Beth implemented Havok that movement is calulated in deltaT slices probably 1/fps slices. That is an easy implementation but if the fps goes much higher than 60 fps it produces glichtes (the deltaT gets too small and errors happen blah blah math stuff blah blah). That is why Vsync should be enabled preferable only the ENB one.

Vsync has an effect on Havok Physics?!?!?!  How could that be?  It doesn't make sense. . .  I'd love to learn more if you're up for explaining it to me.

Havok is a physics engine notorious for this in my opinion 'problem'

It's tied to the framerate, because that's just how most physics engines calculate and update the positions of the meshes. Though I'm not a 100% sure on the theory behind it.

Your gpu pushes out 'frames' faster than what the screen can update, and your cpu is calculating collisions for those frames, even though you'll most likely never see them because your monitor has a lower refresh rate. Thus causing a host of visual bugs.

Edit: Groovtama's explanation is more scientific than mine :P

Known workarounds?:

Use a physics engine that isn't entirely CPU dependant (Only major one I know is Nvidia Physx)

Have your monitor in sync with the gpu's varying frame update:

1. Use Nvidia's g-sync (not widely available yet)

2. Use V-Sync and cap your frames (Causes mouse lag)

Well, I can certainly enable V-sync now that I know it causes an issue, but how do I go about capping my framerate?

(and yes. . . I was running at MUCH more than 60fps.  I never once thought that having all of this horsepower would backfire on me.)

V-sync = Capping framerate to your screen's refresh rate. (It uses more CPU power to keep the data between the GPU frames and the monitor's refresh rate 'in-sync')

Yea, I ran into the same problem with you.

Truth be told, I absolutely abhor the Havok physics engine since I played Dark Souls, That game was hell to play on a computer. It was hardcoded to be working at 30FPS or otherwise you'd get MUCH worse physics effects going on.

But by the gods was that game addicting, and the multiplayer was actually pretty lore-friendly and immersive to me anyway xD

I'm still having the exact same issue even after forcing V-Sync through CCC. . .

I'm so confused now.  I wonder if all that power isn't making it try to run at 120fps?  Is there a way to check fps in-game?

I'll post my system specs just to be sure:

Win7-64bit

3770K 3.5GHz QuadCore

HD 7990 6Gb GFX card

16Gb Gaming RAM

V-Sync doesn't seem to have helped even a tiny bit.  I have the computer power to run the game at max specs several times over.  This is really starting to get annoying. . .

>.<

Use FRAPS to check your framerate

It's a free to try program and is generally useful.

If your frames are greater than 60 fps, then that's your culprit.

If not, then you have some other bug, try posting your hdt.log and/or try switching to HDT 10-24 and see if it's stable.

(Actually I think 10-24 is the only one that supports Hair Physics with everything else... Not sure on that though)

I'm just so confused why it would only do this indoors.  I seriously thought it was the constant fog I was bumping into or something like that...

Could it be collision settings?  I don't know wtf I'm doing with the HDT .xml file and I have no idea how to use JFF to modify it.  Could that cause something like this?

I'm just so confused why it would only do this indoors.  I seriously thought it was the constant fog I was bumping into or something like that...

Could it be collision settings?  I don't know wtf I'm doing with the HDT .xml file and I have no idea how to use JFF to modify it.  Could that cause something like this?

Have you tried opening a door inside a room full of objects and see if it flies away?

If so, then you have vsync turned off or it's not setup properly.

If it's ONLY your breasts then chances are it's some sort of bug with HDT (gotta remeber that tiny deisclaimer saying that HDT itself is all a BETA project)

Archived