Solutions to slow running scripts in Skyrim

That's the problem with script heavy mods, and any mods, really. Changing them in the middle of a playthrough can cause crashes. 

Your best bet is to start a totally new game, and see if the issue persists. 

IF it persists, then your settings above aren't right or you've somehow gotten your hands on a corrupted texture or mesh. 

Other possibilities are not enough VRAM (Solved in the settings above, to a small degree). 

it is not a playthrough. it is a new game started somewhere in nature.

all script heavy mods are disabled. for now so they don't interfere

and i have(with the settings enabled) over 60 fps indoors and 50-55 fps outdoors :D.

the only problem right now is the CTD when loading an outdoor area save directly on game start. loading a outdoor save mid session won't crash.

and neither will a direct transition between outdoors and indoors.

very strange. what if it's SoS wilds? i remember it having a optional crash esp fix mentioned somewhere. seeing i am in the wilds at the moment i truly wonder.

It's probably just too much for the initial load up to handle all at once, and it fills your VRAM. 

That's A LOT of information it loads on the initial load in. 

Always be sure to save indoors, and you should be fine :) (It's a problem I've struggled with, too. Don't feel alone. There's not really a way to fix it, aside from better hardware).

It's probably just too much for the initial load up to handle all at once, and it fills your VRAM. 

That's A LOT of information it loads on the initial load in. 

Always be sure to save indoors, and you should be fine :) (It's a problem I've struggled with, too. Don't feel alone. There's not really a way to fix it, aside from better hardware).

that must be true  :-/  . regardless of what i change in the ini i still end up crashing when i load an outdoor area from main menu.

makes sense but how come this has never happened during my session maybe a week ago. 

during that time i had all script heavy mods active plus CoT etc and never seen this type of crash. oh dear now i am afraid my gpu is dying D:

If all you changed was RLO to Relighting Skyrim, CoT to Pure Weathers, and Pure Waters to Realistic Water Two? 

You shouldn't be crashing. You must have changed something else in the process, aside from Hialgo to ENBoost. 

You should be getting MUCH better performance than you were.

The ONLY other option, if the above is the case, is your hardware is starting to fail. 

Are you seeing strange texture bugs, artifacts where they're not supposed to be, or missing textures?

If all you changed was RLO to Relighting Skyrim, CoT to Pure Weathers, and Pure Waters to Realistic Water Two? 

You shouldn't be crashing. You must have changed something else in the process, aside from Hialgo to ENBoost. 

You should be getting MUCH better performance than you were.

The ONLY other option, if the above is the case, is your hardware is starting to fail. 

Are you seeing strange texture bugs, artifacts where they're not supposed to be, or missing textures?

none. maybe had one where the body got stretched. but this is rare and has been seen long time ago when i started modding.

so no nothing serious or gamebreaking. as i said my pc is very updated software wise and constantly monitored for instability.

i am using a lot of boosters, control of my aplications and most importantly spend little time gaming. oh and it also gets big breaks i.e i turn it of very frequently to rest and recover before the next usage. i can't imagine after all of that my pc would fail me this easily.

prison overhaul ? death alternative? outside of the two the rest were all updates for mods to the newest version such as: skse from 1.7.2 to 1.7.3 and sky ui from 4.1 to 5.0 and then started a new fresh game.  if it were mid playthrough then i'd understand this behaviour. but on new game  :s

another thing:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/38649/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D38649%26preview%3D&pUp=1

is this enboost any better than the one that i get with http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/23812/? ?

if there is a difference i may switch back to the former.

i am mentioning this one again because it contains the name "anti-CTD" 

I doubt the second one has a better version of the first since the first was made by the person who developed enb in the first place.

if that is true why is it not part of Anatriax's guide? the guide clearly puts an example of the latter and not former.

I genuinely think that my incredible confusion and need to ask many questions are justified. because for each new thing i learn i also find mixed opinions and suggestions. how is anyone new supposed to handle this much complex information? makes me sad to think what the people that don't know english are going through while trying out this site's mods. :(

If anything the second one includes the first, no one has made an alternate enboost.

I checked the Seasons of Skyrim enb, it does not include enboost with its files.

ENBoost is enblocal.ini

The part that tells ENB what to do with your memory, giving it a boost.

ENBoost is included in EVERY ENB preset since ENB v.2xx. 

Copied directly from the CTD and Memory patch mod posted above:

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=other_d3d9.dll

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true
UseDefferedRendering=false
ForceFakeVideocard=false

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=256
VideoMemorySizeMb=3968

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=false
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false

[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=16
EnableVSync=false
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=60.0

[iNPUT]
//shift
KeyCombination=16
//f12
KeyUseEffect=123
//home
KeyFPSLimit=36
//num /       106
KeyShowFPS=106
//print screen
KeyScreenshot=44
//enter
KeyEditor=13
//f4
KeyFreeVRAM=115

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=false
Quality=1
DesiredFPS=20.0

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=false
EnableTemporalAA=false
EnableSubPixelAA=false
EnableTransparencyAA=false

[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixParallaxBugs=true
FixAliasedTextures=true
IgnoreLoadingScreen=false
IgnoreInventory=true
FixSsaoWaterTransparency=true
FixSsaoHairTransparency=true
FixTintGamma=true
RemoveBlur=true
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true

Posted from my PERSONAL enblocal, taken from Seasons of Skyrim, modified for my PC:

[PROXY]

EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=Sweetfx_d3d9.dll

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true
UseDefferedRendering=true
IgnoreCreationKit=true

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true
EnableOcclusionCulling=true
EnableZPrepass=true

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=6144
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=false
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false

[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=4
ForceLodBias=false
LodBias=0.0
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
EnableVSync=true
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=40.0

[iNPUT]
//shift
KeyCombination=16
//f12
KeyUseEffect=123
//home
KeyFPSLimit=36
//num /       106
KeyShowFPS=106
//print screen
KeyScreenshot=44
//enter
KeyEditor=13
//f4
KeyFreeVRAM=115

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=true
Quality=1
DesiredFPS=24.0

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=false
EnableTemporalAA=false
EnableSubPixelAA=false
EnableTransparencyAA=false

[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixParallaxBugs=true
FixParallaxTerrain=false
FixAliasedTextures=true
IgnoreInventory=true
FixTintGamma=false
RemoveBlur=true
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true
FixSkyReflection=true
FixCursorVisibility=true
FixLag=false
[LONGEXPOSURE]
EnableLongExposureMode=false
Time=1.0
BlendMax=0.0

The difference? Mine is set up JUST for my PC, and uses the v.277 binary, instead of the older one from the CTD and Memory Patch. 

enblocal.ini IS INCLUDED WITH ENB BINARIES FROM ENBDEV.COM

If anything the second one includes the first, no one has made an alternate enboost.

I checked the Seasons of Skyrim enb, it does not include enboost with its files.

ENBoost is enblocal.ini

The difference? Mine is set up JUST for my PC, and uses the v.277 binary, instead of the older one from the CTD and Memory Patch. 

it's included? why are hdr and that anti-CTD boost still relevant?? ! don't answer that probably stupid question. i have a plan. and we're done here.

Thank you Anatriax and sorry for the MANY messages :/

The CTD and Memory patch (known widely as ENBoost), is nothing more than a collection of preconfigured enbolocal.ini files, basically for people who don't know what they're doing, or who cannot follow the directions provided with ENB itself, your chosen ENB preset, on STEP, or places like my guide. 

ENBoost is enblocal.ini

it's included? why are hdr and that anti-CTD boost still relevant?? ! don't answer that probably stupid question. i have a plan. and we're done here.

Thank you Anatriax and sorry for the MANY messages :/

Look at the last update (date) for the memory patch. It was back in 2013. 

Look at the binary it says to use (v.217)

It is no where near current.

The CTD and Memory patch (known widely as ENBoost), is nothing more than a collection of preconfigured enbolocal.ini files, basically for people who don't know what they're doing, or who cannot follow the directions provided with ENB itself, your chosen ENB preset, on STEP, or places like my guide. 

they completely optional presets. i can completely ignore them then and configure enb local myself. great :)

they completely optional presets. i can completely ignore them then and configure enb local myself. great :)

Yep. That's what I've been telling you to do this whole time. lol :):P <3

So I was frustrated after cobbling a multicore PC together on the cheap, only to find Skyrim ran its scripts SO SLOOOWWly. I monkey with my settings in game and at the OS level with zero net gains for my efforts. While graphics ran fine on even the highest settings, scripts sometimes took minutes to run. I started blaming mods as removing mods seemed to have a positive effect. Today I discovered the issue is actually the design of the Papyrus script system used in Skyrim. I read an informative treatise written by a scripter that was quite informative as to why it wasn't working as intended here. A little more research lead me to 2 different solutions that when used together made the issue almost inperceptable. One is a plugin for SKSE and the other is settings to add to your Skyrim.INI. I'm kind of impulsive when it comes to tweaking my games for performance and so applied both solutions at the same time. The results were so impressive, I saw no need to test them individually.

Anyway to the point of this post:

IF you are running mods or even not, and you find scripts take minutes to run or fail to run, these solutions will fix that.

1. TESV Acceleration Layer. This is an SKSE plugin written by one of the developers of SKSE. the official forum post and the current file link is found here.

2. INI tweaks. Normally I view INI tweaks as risky business in Skyrim, especially when running from save games. So with Skyrim I have really taken the habit of dated copies of my Skyrim.ini file ( I'm still amazed Skyrim functions at all as I begin to understand its construction). But so far so good with the following additions:

[Papyrus]

fUpdateBudgetMS=800

fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=800

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=2000

iMinMemoryPageSize=256

iMaxMemoryPageSize=512

iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=2457600

I stumbled across this tweak here (kudos and thanks to Steve40)

The results? Running about 90 mods (of which more than 75% add new scripts) slowed my system to the point where having a vanilla companion, a mod companion and running AFT along with Convenient Horses meant I could go get a coffee, come back and still have to wait for my companions to mount up. (sometimes pausing would speed things up for the moment).

Now I can have 5 followers mount up after me in about 10 secs (including the anims and sounds). Any lag I experience now can be directly attributed to my old clunky HDD and I`m betting I can find a INI solution that will help with that too.

So enjoy faster running scripts with these two simple solutions. Of course if you already knew this, never mind :cool: 

hey guys just wondering about this. ive read through the comments and some say doing the ini tweaks listed above are bad, while others say it really helped. I don't want to mess up my save so I guess im asking is this safe to try or will it immediately mess me up?

hey guys just wondering about this. ive read through the comments and some say doing the ini tweaks listed above are bad, while others say it really helped. I don't want to mess up my save so I guess im asking is this safe to try or will it immediately mess me up?

best thing i can tell you is BACKUP your skyrim.INI before changing anything!  then if any of your new settings results are worse you can always revert to your defaults. 

Archived