Over 100K morons are trying to mod Skyrim

visby

It's true while we have all thought that their where allot of people trying to mod who shouldn't I have some hard numbers on just how bad the problem is. I refer you to the mod (warning NSFW adult mod) ASX which at the time of this post had 540,356 Unique downloads. Now look at FNIS which ASX requires to run it shows 425,309 Unique downloads. So we have over 115K people trying to run ASX without ever even trying to install FNIS. Think about the shear number of posts by idiots who couldn't be bothered to read the instructions before installing but then they couldn't even be bothered to read them after the mod wouldn't work. It's no wonder why creators of popular but advance mods stop posting on the forums the unending wave of stupid must just overwhelm them. Now of course their are real problems as well but what hope is their to be heard when your post are drowned out by the masses of fools.

If I remember correctly, ASX (previously Lydia's Adult Sex Show) was a stand-alone mod, and did not require [edit]FNIS[/edit] in it's early incarnations. Can anyone verify this? If so, then that would explain the discrepancy. That also doesn't take into account people who download, then decide not to install and just delete it. Sorry but the "unique" downloads is not an accurate representation of anything other than a # of unique downloads.

However, your point that people can't seem to read instructions is validated by just reading the comment sections...

I see that explains why the gap is so big. Lydia's Adult Sex Show was before I started modding my Skyrim game. When I stated FNIS 2.0 was out and ASX was well just ASX.

I just get so frustrated with these yahoo's who think a mod should work just like a DLC from the developer, and then start abusing the mod creator when they don't.

I just get so frustrated with these yahoo's who think a mod should work just like a DLC from the developer' date=' and then start abusing the mod creator when they don't.

[/quote']

Trust me, I know. I've posted numerous times there (and AP and FNIS) in the past trying to help some of them. I just got annoyed to the point where I said "screw it, they are on their own." I'm a late-comer to modding myself (started sometime late march early april this year, first with Skyrim, then backtracked to Oblivion, FO3, and FONV). I once had AP 1.9, ASX 1.6, and FNIS 2.0 working together simultaneously (even though at the time AP wasn't supposed to work with them - don't remember how I did, probably witchcraft :D ) and did it in about 10 minutes. I will say this: the ASX instructions are not clear for those who have never done modding manually. The fact that the various undress options are in a separate folder within the zip/7z/rar and that they have to manually move it is not actually clearly stated. The noobs there are used to NMM handling everything, which in most cases that's true. I think every noob in Skyrim should be required to spend a month trying to mod Oblivion. That will teach them a lot. What I learned trying to mod Oblivion helped me see when modding the other games because I could infer what was not said explicitly in the instructions (like the undress options in ASX). A good step is someone posted a "mod" on Nexus that supposedly has very clear instruction on FNIS and how to install FNIS and the related mods. Haven't looked at it myself.

I just get so frustrated with these yahoo's who think a mod should work just like a DLC from the developer' date=' and then start abusing the mod creator when they don't.

[/quote']

Trust me, I know. I've posted numerous times there (and AP and FNIS) in the past trying to help some of them. I just got annoyed to the point where I said "screw it, they are on their own." I'm a late-comer to modding myself (started sometime late march early april this year, first with Skyrim, then backtracked to Oblivion, FO3, and FONV). I once had AP 1.9, ASX 1.6, and FNIS 2.0 working together simultaneously (even though at the time AP wasn't supposed to work with them - don't remember how I did, probably witchcraft :D ) and did it in about 10 minutes. I will say this: the ASX instructions are not clear for those who have never done modding manually. The fact that the various undress options are in a separate folder within the zip/7z/rar and that they have to manually move it is not actually clearly stated. The noobs there are used to NMM handling everything, which in most cases that's true. I think every noob in Skyrim should be required to spend a month trying to mod Oblivion. That will teach them a lot. What I learned trying to mod Oblivion helped me see when modding the other games because I could infer what was not said explicitly in the instructions (like the undress options in ASX). A good step is someone posted a "mod" on Nexus that supposedly has very clear instruction on FNIS and how to install FNIS and the related mods. Haven't looked at it myself.

Or (horror) Morrowind. Wow there were some weird things happening with even the slighest modding glitches (I'm talking about the doubling problem, etc).

Hence why I don't distribute mods on Steam anymore and am hesistant to distribute on Nexus (instead preferring forums like these or VGU). Not because I'm not nice, but I've got too much else going on to respond to inane questions or "help I can't read".

Or (horror) Morrowind. Wow there were some weird things happening with even the slighest modding glitches (I'm talking about the doubling problem' date=' etc).

Hence why I don't distribute mods on Steam anymore and am hesistant to distribute on Nexus (instead preferring forums like these or VGU). Not because I'm not nice, but I've got too much else going on to respond to inane questions or "help I can't read".

[/quote']

Never got into Morrowind. I did play it but on the original XBox :s . I don't know if it was a bad console port or what, but I just couldn't get into it.

I have to say that I think sometimes us mod devs are our own worst enemy in some of these situations. Take ASX. A simple installer script, and I would say that 90% of the "where is my spell? Why aren't I naked?" questions would disappear. So why didn't they do that?

hehe alot of the mod's do work like a DLC

just the HD texture packs that were free caused alot of havoc

in the game

Only mods with a very simple structure (replacers) work like DLC.

DLCs use installers to modify and update all kind of things unnoticed. Can mods do that? NOOOOO. We have a very restrictive NMM at most. Whith an undocumented fomm interface, which allows me just a little bit of optional loading. No file modifications, no running of other necessary tools. For Oblivion we had obmm, for Skyrim we have NOTHING for DLC like installation.

Why do you think I have all these problems teaching people how to use the FNIS generator??? :-/

Archived