Outdoor Crashes

I wonder if anyone else is crashing while outdoors in Skyrim, I can't get into Falkreath, Windhelm (crash on bridge) nor Riften  and on roads around Skyrim. My 4th start playthrough and same problems of crashing outdoors, Indoors and Dungeons are fine.

Related problem is crashing while fast traveling.

Papyrus has Stacks from Un-Official Patches, don't know what that's about as it suppose to be fixing things).

I had thought that SE would be far more stable than LE but it is definitely not my experience, attached load order, Bashed, Looted, run through CK, etc.

modlist.txt

It may be worth taking a look at your texture re-placers terrain ones mainly, especially if you use 4k ones, try dropping them all down to 2k and see if that makes any difference,

Another thing that may be worth looking at is any armour re-placers or mods that add armour/weapons to npc's make sure there are no mesh/texture/esp problems with them.  Basically load them up into xedit and check for errors on them, they may or may not show errors but it they do it gives you something to look at to see if that could be the problem.

Those are the two main things that I tend to find that make outdoor crashes more common, for me anyway.  Of course other things can do the same.

8 minutes ago, Varithina said:

It may be worth taking a look at your texture re-placers terrain ones mainly, especially if you use 4k ones, try dropping them all down to 2k and see if that makes any difference,

Another thing that may be worth looking at is any armour re-placers or mods that add armour/weapons to npc's make sure there are no mesh/texture/esp problems with them.  Basically load them up into xedit and check for errors on them, they may or may not show errors but it they do it gives you something to look at to see if that could be the problem.

Those are the two main things that I tend to find that make outdoor crashes more common, for me anyway.  Of course other things can do the same.

Those are good ideas, I have an 8GB Video card, I basically installed what i had or close too in my regular LE. I usually select 2K or less.  Although I don't know how to check for Textures but since I've downloaded almost all of them from Nexus SE, you'd think they'd be ok.

I've only ported directly from LE a couple of Armor mods, which I ran through the CK as recommended.

You gave me an Idea, will try Nifchecker from Ounisus see if that finds anything.

9 hours ago, Vortec said:

I wonder if anyone else is crashing while outdoors in Skyrim, I can't get into Falkreath, Windhelm (crash on bridge) nor Riften  and on roads around Skyrim. My 4th start playthrough and same problems of crashing outdoors, Indoors and Dungeons are fine.

Papyrus has Stacks from Un-Official Patches, don't know what that's about as it suppose to be fixing things).

I had thought that SE would be far more stable than LE but it is definitely not my experience, attached load order, Bashed, Looted, run through CK, etc.

modlist.txt

The main things I run into that cause crashes outdoors are oldrim meshes (sometimes they're fine, other times they ctd), navmesh conflicts (mostly deleted navmeshes), and sound conflicts.  The only thing that jumps out at me in your load order is Qaxe's Questorium.  I've played previous verions that I had no issues with but the latest version causes crashes for me between Whiterun and Riverwood so I gave up on it for now. 

IMO the key is to start with a group of mods that you know is stable, then add a few more and test, then add a few more and test, etc so that if you start crashing you know which mod is causing it.  Aside from initial mod testing my game never crashes.  Oldrim crashed constantly for me.

8 hours ago, Vortec said:

Those are good ideas, I have an 8GB Video card, I basically installed what i had or close too in my regular LE. I usually select 2K or less.  Although I don't know how to check for Textures but since I've downloaded almost all of them from Nexus SE, you'd think they'd be ok.

I've only ported directly from LE a couple of Armor mods, which I ran through the CK as recommended.

You gave me an Idea, will try Nifchecker from Ounisus see if that finds anything.

Ohh, I really need to pay more attention to what section this sort of post is in, in this case it may be worth checking to make sure nothing is use .tga files as sse is supposed to not use them, not too sure if it just ignores them or it causes errors though.

As for conversions from nexus you would imagine they are correctly sorted, but one can never tell, a couple of them I have seen posted state in their sse nexus page install instructions, that the user has to run nifoptimiser themselves on the conversion, which I found a bit odd for a mod posted in the sse nexus to say the least.

2 hours ago, khumak said:

The main things I run into that cause crashes outdoors are oldrim meshes (sometimes they're fine, other times they ctd), navmesh conflicts (mostly deleted navmeshes), and sound conflicts.  The only thing that jumps out at me in your load order is Qaxe's Questorium.  I've played previous verions that I had no issues with but the latest version causes crashes for me between Whiterun and Riverwood so I gave up on it for now. 

IMO the key is to start with a group of mods that you know is stable, then add a few more and test, then add a few more and test, etc so that if you start crashing you know which mod is causing it.  Aside from initial mod testing my game never crashes.  Oldrim crashed constantly for me.

Forgot about sound that can cause problems as well.  I had major problems with sounds of skyrim for oldrim, not even tried the sse conversion.

8 hours ago, Varithina said:

Forgot about sound that can cause problems as well.  I had major problems with sounds of skyrim for oldrim, not even tried the sse conversion.

Yeah I had issues with Sounds of Skyrim for water and/or weather and I had issues with Immersive Sounds Compendium for weapon draw and sheath sounds.  Both caused crashes for me in SE.  Immersive sound compendium was a strange one since most weapons worked fine but some of them crash every time.  The sound overhaul I'm using that doesn't crash for me is Lucidity and I think the reason is that the only thing the esp does is add some volume controls to the main menu.  The individual sounds are simply replaced, no ESP changes so no conflicts. 

1 hour ago, khumak said:

Yeah I had issues with Sounds of Skyrim for water and/or weather and I had issues with Immersive Sounds Compendium for weapon draw and sheath sounds.  Both caused crashes for me in SE.  Immersive sound compendium was a strange one since most weapons worked fine but some of them crash every time.  The sound overhaul I'm using that doesn't crash for me is Lucidity and I think the reason is that the only thing the esp does is add some volume controls to the main menu.  The individual sounds are simply replaced, no ESP changes so no conflicts. 

I tend to go true storms for most of the weather stuff, the rad storms in fallout 4 are creepy as hell, with the glowing green fog, especially the sounds when the ghoul hoards are spawning. 

Not really used it much in this game as I tend to keep changing my mind on what major mods I want which then needs me to rebuild stuff from the ground up, and doing that for all the npc's is tedious as hell and takes ages.

23 hours ago, Vortec said:

modlist.txt

hmmm, some mods arent from Nexus or Lovers,yes? May be reason in them. Some of mods from your list i have using too, but such problem i meet only from you.

Its good to see what you playing without Open Cities. Remember - NEVER instal it. Open Cities having so many bugs and incompatibles with some cool mods.

21 hours ago, Vortec said:

Good Ideas all, yes I have unchecked mods, then played, about 10 at a time at first, then 20 then 40 lol, same results. Oddly, when I unchecked Bash Patch I made it all the way form Solitude to Dragon Bridge without incident which was a first. Rebuilt Bash Patch and restarted again, crashes all over again- This time Dragon Bridge to Morthal- crash at the bridge.

To me it appears to be Navmesh, "Wooden Structures" , Gates (especially Riften ), bridges, swamps...heck evey part of Skyrim lol. I have removed any and all enviroment type Mods-Mountains/trees/flora/Landscape etc.

So I have deleted and re-installed my Skyrim SE directory, tried what this is my 4th play through same problems. Using latest stable MO2 builds...so don't know what's what nor why this is happening, never had this sort of problem in Oldrim, which I've been modding since 2012 now.

One more clue, after CTD I have gone to Steam to verify files and almost without exception- 4 Files have to be reacquired, so that tells me something is corrupting even the Base game. Dunno how MO2 or the Mod Files can do that. Oh I'm using BethIni to generate the SSE ini files.

Any more Ideas?.

2 hours ago, Andukar said:

hmmm, some mods arent from Nexus or Lovers,yes? May be reason in them. Some of mods from your list i have using too, but such problem i meet only from you.

Its good to see what you playing without Open Cities. Remember - NEVER instal it. Open Cities having so many bugs and incompatibles with some cool mods.

Which Mods are you referring too?.

38 minutes ago, Vortec said:

Oh I'm using BethIni to generate the SSE ini files.

Ahh, try using vanilla ini files, with the required edits for modding.

For me bethini causes instant ctd when even trying to run the game, take a look at the ini files it generates and then do a wtf, when you do so.

23 hours ago, Varithina said:

Ahh, try using vanilla ini files, with the required edits for modding.

For me bethini causes instant ctd when even trying to run the game, take a look at the ini files it generates and then do a wtf, when you do so.

Ok will look into that, Is your Ini's similar to your LE one's?. Think I used the Step guide for my LE Ini's but not much for SSE ini recommendations out there for SSE.

8 hours ago, Vortec said:

Ok will look into that, Is your Ini's similar to your LE one's?. Think I used the Step guide for my LE Ini's but not much for SSE ini recommendations out there for SSE.

From what I am aware the ini edits are pretty much the same, though to start with I would only do the ones needed for modding to work and nothing more.

I've been struggling without outdoor ctd's since I started modding sse. Tried lots of stuff and believe it's running out of memory. 8gb ram and 1050ti 4gb, people told me I shouldn't be running out but I believe that what's happening. SKSE.ini seemed to help considerably, might try that if not already. I also use Bethini and sse fixes v3, and those seemed to help a bit. As long as I have no more than 1 follower and don't trigger too many sexlab animations, I'm pretty solid outdoors now.

A lot of the posted settings for sse skse.ini are wrong, this works for me:

[General]
EnableDiagnostics=1
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

2 hours ago, McLude said:

I've been struggling without outdoor ctd's since I started modding sse. Tried lots of stuff and believe it's running out of memory. 8gb ram and 1050ti 4gb, people told me I shouldn't be running out but I believe that what's happening. SKSE.ini seemed to help considerably, might try that if not already. I also use Bethini and sse fixes v3, and those seemed to help a bit. As long as I have no more than 1 follower and don't trigger too many sexlab animations, I'm pretty solid outdoors now.

A lot of the posted settings for sse skse.ini are wrong, this works for me:

[General]
EnableDiagnostics=1

[Display]

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

I used this one https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1651, and in that ini settings some of those settings are commented out, this is what he has in his, in the comments on the mod its is said some of the settings are no longer required for sse, I would guess due to the game being 64bit rather than 32bit.

[Display]

[General]
;EnableDiagnostics=1
[Memory]
;DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
;ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

5 hours ago, McLude said:

Guess im lazy because mine doesnt have commented out lines.  I'll look into that.

edit; according to comments and the description, the only setting that works is ClearInvalidRegistrations.

Someone asked about iTintTextureResolution but didn't get an answer.

Thanks for the help guys/gals. From what I've the Skse64 ini, isn't a needed requirement as it was in LE. Also read about the Clearinvalidregistrations. The memory stuff for SKSE64 ini doesn't make sense to me as the game is now 64 bit and can access a whole lot more than LE, from what I understand.

Have to admit Skyrim SE is kind of addicting as i can see its using all of my 8GB of Video ram and without all the memory hacks to get That working.

Started a new play though last night and got into Windhelm for the first time since I've started playing modded SSE-carriage ride from Whiterun. So maybe there is hope.

I'll keep posting more observations and hope you guys will as well some we can help other's if they come across something similiar.

Something else I forgot to mention is music mods.  In my experience if there are conflicting music mods they cause CTDs as well, although in that case they are infrequent and random, not repeatable so it's tough to identify.  In my case, Bruma conflicts with every music mod I've seen.

2 hours ago, khumak said:

Something else I forgot to mention is music mods.  In my experience if there are conflicting music mods they cause CTDs as well, although in that case they are infrequent and random, not repeatable so it's tough to identify.  In my case, Bruma conflicts with every music mod I've seen.

Think sound was mentioned in one of the earlier posts which pretty much covers music as well.

To be honest about bruma it was a great idea having all the world as one open space, but there were reasons that each world segment produced by bethesda was not too big, and personally while I applaud the bruma team, for me it is unplayable in oldrim, ctd the instant I get anywhere near it, they should really have set it up like most of the official dlc's were and used a loading screen which considering how much hassle and bugs are posted would have probably cut down on at least some of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd update this. And thanks to other's suggestions.

- About the ini file's, I've been using the BethIni to create new ini's for SE. Haven't had any problems using it in LE, but as someone suggested here, I'd thought to double check the ini's. Glad i did, for one in the /mydocuments/mygames/skyrimse ini was wildly different from the one inside MO2.

So folks might want to double check that.

- I narrowed down what "might" be causing most of my exterior cell's CTD was Qaxe Questorium, my usual go too quest Mod. I have looked and checked in Tesedit and can't find anything that would cause that mod to be the problem, granted not that good at Tesedit but didn't see anything that could be the cause of the crashes.

Archived