Institute Coursers wearing regular synth uniform and armor parts

I've recently started to play FO4 again and downloaded some mods. One or more caused some issues with the Coursers roaming the Institute. Instead of wearing their Courser uniform, they wear a regular synth uniform with synth armor and helmet. If I disable all the mods leaving only Bethesda's official DLCs, the problem persists. Spawning Coursers via console commands this way spawns them naked.

At first I thought it was CROSS Strigidae's mod but I found this post in the Nexus FO4 troubleshooting thread with my same issue, back then the Strigidae mod didn't exist. That user received no responses so I don't know if they fixed the issue or not. I share some mods in common with them so I narrowed down the list to: ArmorKeywords, Lots More Facial Hair, Lots More Male Hairstyles, CBBE, AS Vektor, Armorsmith Extended and Armorsmith Extended All DLC.

This is my load order:

Spoiler

Fallout4.esm=1
DLCRobot.esm=1
DLCworkshop01.esm=1
DLCCoast.esm=1
DLCworkshop02.esm=1
DLCworkshop03.esm=1
DLCNukaWorld.esm=1
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp=1
ArmorKeywords.esm=1
TrueStormsFO4.esm=1
CROSS_BreakActionLaser.esp=1
CROSS_CourserStrigidae.esp=1
CROSS_BrotherhoodRecon.esp=1
Remove Interior Fog - All Dlc.esp=1
DarkerNightsDetection.esp=1
BetterNightVision.esp=1
CutWeaponModsRestored-GOTY.esp=1
Armorsmith Extended.esp=1
CROSS_PlasRail.esp=1
InteriorsEnhanced-All-In-One.esp=1
MosesSubmarine.esp=1
FalloutShock apartment.esp=1
Eli_MarlboroughHouse.esp=1
SuperMutantOverhaul.esp=1
Rebuilt_HomePlate.esp=1
Eli_Chestnut Lodge DLC.esp=1
Eli_Rockin Red Rocket.esp=1
Cyber-Light Apartments.esp=1
officersRevolver.esp=1
Eli_RV DC Home.esp=1
Mercenary.esp=1
Eli_Sanctuary Bunker.esp=1
Eli_Hangman's Home.esp=1
10-22 Pistol.esp=1
CWMR-GOTY-Patch-AWKCR.esp=1
Armorsmith All DLCs Patch.esp=1
CBBE.esp=1
No Fusion Core Drain.esp=1
EasyHacking.esp=1
dD-Enhanced Blood Basic.esp=1
EAMR.esp=1
keyNuker.esp=1
FO4LaserBolts.esp=1
Radiant Clouds and Fogs.esp=1
RRTV_RobotModelKits.esp=1
Swinging Meat Bags.esp=1
TrueStormsFO4-FarHarbor.esp=1
TrueStormsFO4-EarlierSunsets.esp=1
TrueStormsFO4-EarlierSunsetsFH.esp=1
TrueStormsFO4-NukaWorld-FH-Compat.esp=1
DarkerNights.esp=1
DarkerNights-Radiant.esp=1
Skibs-223PistolRedux.esp=1
10mmSMG.esp=1
N7 Advanced.esp=1
Eli_Accessories.esp=1
RaiderOverhaul.esp=1
NanoSuit.esp=1
ASVektor.esp=1
bigby wolf apartment.esp=1
DOOMCatalyst.esp=1
ChiappaTripleThreat.esp=1
ChineseStealthSuit.esp=1
DX Commonwealth Shorts.esp=1
DX Vault Girl Shorts.esp=1
CompanionsGoHome_A.esp=1
DX Courser X-92 Power Suit.esp=1
Craftable Armor Size - Fix Material Requirements.esp=1
Craftable Armor Size.esp=1
Deathclaw Hunter Armor.esp=1
Deathclaw Hunter - AWKCR Patch.esp=1
mjp_PTRS41ATR.esp=1
Crossbow.esp=1
Quad_Accelerator.esp=1
DN Music.esp=1
DN Far Harbor.esp=1
DN AltBattle2.esp=1
Eli_Sleeveless Outfits.esp=1
Eli_Utility Jumpsuits.esp=1
EnterTheBrotherhood.esp=1
Evil Detective Outfit.esp=1
Fr4nssonsLightTweaks.esp=1
BioshockInspiredPowerArmor.esp=1
CorvalhoWidowShotgun.esp=1
WattzLaserGun.esp=1
SubmersiblePowerArmorRedux.esp=1
ClassicSniper.esp=1
AzarHolsteredWeapons.esp=1
Rangergearnew.esp=1
M1Garand.esp=1
Cyber-Light Hand Cannon.esp=1
Ephla's Unique - Baseball Caps.esp=1
M2045MagnumRevolverRifle.esp=1
Heavy BoS.esp=1
DX_Black_Widow.esp=1
BullpupBozar.esp=1
Beretta92FS-SwordCutlass.esp=1
DP_CaravanShotgun.esp=1
HuntingShotgun.esp=1
DOOMThatGun.esp=1
T-51C Power Armor.esp=1
Conelrad 640-1240.esp=1
DOOMDesertEagle.esp=1
Existence 2.0.esp=1
Skibs-IF88Redux.esp=1
Skibs-WH77Redux.esp=1
Skibs-IF54Redux.esp=1
ImmersiveVendors.esp=1
JaguarLMG.esp=1
Jericho 941.esp=1
K9TacticalHarness.esp=1
LegendaryModification.esp=1
LegendaryModification - DLC Far Harbor.esp=1
Lever Action Reload Fix.esp=1
Lots More Facial Hair.esp=1
Lots More Female Hairstyles.esp=1
Lots More Male Hairstyles.esp=1
M1Garand - AWKCR.esp=1
DOOMMAC11.esp=1
McMillanCS5.esp=1
MGSV_BattleDress.esp=1
Metro Gas Masks.esp=1
Skibs-Miniguns.esp=1
Mosin.esp=1
MP-412.esp=1
NanoSuit_AWKCR_AE.esp=1
Quad_RAWLauncher.esp=1
QuazRadioModelReplacer.esp=1
870.esp=1
Campsite.esp=1
Campsite-AWKCR.esp=1
DOOMRhino.esp=1
RU556.esp=1
RU556AWKCR.esp=1
DOOMSCARLK.esp=1
Synth Field Carbonhelmet.esp=1
N7_Synth Field Carbonhelmet.esp=1
Female Tactical Armor.esp=1
Tactical Flashlights.esp=1
Tactical Flashlights - Settings.esp=1
Quad_Technetronic.esp=1
AssaultFlamer.esp=1
Toxic Raider Armour.esp=1
Trinity Shotgun by NewerMind43 & Captain-Ultima.esp=1
Vault Alt Suit.esp=1
Vivid Fallout - All in One - 4k.esp=1
Wasteland Sniper by Hothtrooper44.esp=1
Skibs-WHMk22Redux.esp=1
SpotlightFix-100-Shadow.esp=1
WestTekTacticalOptics.esp=1
PIP-Pad.esp=1
FO4SeasonsMoreGrass.esp=1
NCRMaskLampFix Flashlight AllVer.esp=1
PAMS.esp=1
Brotherhood of Steel Kit.esp=1
Eli_Faction Housing Overhaul - AiO.esp=1
BTInteriors_Project.esp=1
BTInt_Optimization.esp=1

20180115142435_1.jpg

That's a big list.  I don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me there.  I see you have both the Strigade and DX Courser Powersuits though - did either of those include the optional courser replacements?  Both of those mods either directly or through an add-on have a no .esp override option for the courser outfits.  I've used both of those overrides though, and barring an install issue - they work well.  If they were installed incorrectly, you'd probably see other issues, like nudity - all the time ;)

To see if a mod is doing it:

To narrow down the search though, load your whole load order into FO4Edit - it will take some time.  When it says "Finished" in the messages window.... expand the fallout4.esp to Outfit>InstituteCourserOutfit (0012AFB1).  This is the outfit record for all coursers. Inspect this record for any changes.  The mod listed farthest to the right (in the details pane) is the "winning" one in any conflict and is overwriting the outfit with something else.

For example, I have a mod called Mercenaries - it overrides the default courser outfit with a variation.

To see if you have an installed override:

If using MO - all mods should be disabled, vanilla launch - go find a courser and inspect them

If using NMM - your data folder was altered.  Navigate to Data\Meshes\Clothes\Courser and inspect the nifs in nifskope.  It could be that you inadvertantly installed an override which overwrote the outfit itself with the armor.

Is it just male coursers or females too?

Try going to qasmoke from the main menu, without your saved game loading.... on menu screen:  'coc qasmoke'  and call a courser there.  Also call X6-88 and Z2-74 (courser form the Hunter/Hunted mission) - and see what their outfits look like.

This was a most helpful response, and it helped me identify the problem. Apparently, it's caused by Mercenary.esp, but the mod never said anything about messing with vanilla assets. I'm going to take a look at the mod's bug section and see if I can find anything else. So far, only male coursers with this problem have been found (I didn't know there were female coursers). Also, in my Courser outfit meshes folder, there's a CourserF.nif and a CourserF.tri but not a CourserM of any kind.

Also I have to add that X6-88 seems fine, at least during Kellogg's flashback he was wearing the Courser uniform. I'll locate him in-game and see if he's wearing it or he's changed too. Because Z2-74 was wearing the synth uniform and armor when I was tracking him.

Edit: After running some tests I can confirm that the problem is indeed, caused by The Mercenary Pack. I went to the testing hall with the mod disabled, spawned some coursers, and they spawned with their uniform. After trying a second time with the mod enabled, some of them spawned with the synth uniform, others with the courser uniform.

InstituteCourser.png

So if you see what happened here... the vanilla game has the coursers set to an ARMO reference.  So they will always spawn wearing that armor set.  What mercenary.esp does is swap that out to a leveled list.  Arguably, this is a better approach, imo.  The LL_Armor_Institute_Courser references the following outfits from vanilla and mercenary.  This creates different probabilities that the coursers will spawn in different outfits that are leveled with the player - making the Coursers more varied and tougher opponents.

LL_Armor_CourserOutfit (M/F)

Courser Uniform (vanilla)

B-90 Institute Set (mercenary.esp)

Synth Rebel Set (mercenary.esp)

Synth Armor Set (mercenary.esp)

Since you are looking at the affected record... you could make a quick edit to put it back - your choice. :smile:

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, trans4m117 said:

Would you mind sharing how you fixed this? im having the issue and would love for it to be resolved

Open up the mod in FO4Edit, and remove the LL_Armor_CourserOutfit from the courser outfit record (It'll be under outfits in the left pane), and either manually add the ClothesCourserJacket item back to the Mercenary version of the outfit record, or drag the ClothesCourserJacket item from the vanilla version of the record over to the Mercenary version.

33 minutes ago, Evan555alpha said:

Open up the mod in FO4Edit, and remove the LL_Armor_CourserOutfit from the courser outfit record (It'll be under outfits in the left pane), and either manually add the ClothesCourserJacket item back to the Mercenary version of the outfit record, or drag the ClothesCourserJacket item from the vanilla version of the record over to the Mercenary version.

i did that, yet when i load in, they are still wearing the synth armor

FO4Edit.jpg

6 hours ago, trans4m117 said:

i did that, yet when i load in, they are still wearing the synth armor

Are you loading in with already spawned coursers? I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure already spawned ones will keep their synth armour.

BTW, you can remove the second ClothesCourserJacket from the Mercenary entry. It just causes a needless override otherwise.

13 hours ago, Evan555alpha said:

Are you loading in with already spawned coursers? I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure already spawned ones will keep their synth armour.

BTW, you can remove the second ClothesCourserJacket from the Mercenary entry. It just causes a needless override otherwise.

i was loading in the institute so yea the coursers were spawned, but when i went an a courser hunt quest, in an entirelyu differect cell, he was wearing the armor. im starting a new game anyway, so ill see what happens

• 11 months later...

Archived