Skyrim won't load any saves

So this started just today, seemingly out of the blue, literally none of my saves will load, even clean ones with no mods whatsoever, any attempt ends on a nice CTD.

I saw one suggestion saying that this is caused by changes in the load order, but after copying 99% of one of the saves and failing it, I decided to uninstall all mods and start over but this time using MO2 (was previously using NMM); so, I started slow, starting with the absolute essential mods that aren't an option to not have, but the thing persists, but now I know is not mod related (at least it doesn't seems so) because I literally started a new game, saved, quit the game and try to load said save but no dice, insta CTD, what in the name of the holy tuna sandwich is happening?

*Sigh* Who am I kidding, I should know better, I won't be able to fix this, and most likely no one will know how to; when it comes to skyrim modding is hit or miss, sometimes you get luckt, others you got raped in the butt; I should just go and preemptively start reinstalling skyrim.

What mods did you install recently? One of the reasons for this may be a change in uGridstoLoad. There is a specific procedure to allow you to play games that were set with a higher uGrids with a lowered setting, but it's cumbersome. Sometimes ENB or 'performance mods' will change this by requiring a new .ini file.

Do new games start okay? Do saves made after starting a new game load okay?

The exact same thing happened to me as well, so I was forced to start a new game, so I downlaoded a clean save after Helgen cuz with mods installed the game goes beserk if you start straight from the begining and I have to say that not even with the new downloaded cleans ave worked so I had to uninstall and start a new playthrough :frown:

Dem 50 lvls flushed down the toilet >_<

Well, I can say definitively is something to do with skyrim itself, because after reinstalling everything worked fine, I can even load saves with missing mods. Perhaps some ini setting or something, I'll never know. Luckily now that I came back to MO I won't have that problem again, t'was the price I payed for using NMM again, I don't care how beta MO is, the sole factor that it doesn't even touch the installation folder puts it at the top in my book.

9 hours ago, urielmanx7 said:

Well, I can say definitively is something to do with skyrim itself, because after reinstalling everything worked fine, I can even load saves with missing mods. Perhaps some ini setting or something, I'll never know. Luckily now that I came back to MO I won't have that problem again, t'was the price I payed for using NMM again, I don't care how beta MO is, the sole factor that it doesn't even touch the installation folder puts it at the top in my book.

That's cool ;)

• 3 months later...

I'm having this problem too...looking on the Internet seems to be a common bug. Can't even load first save at LAL.

Anyone with any ideas on how too address this?.

I've looted, bashed ran through CK, I'm running newest MO2- don't think that's the problem. Still having same issue.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, khumak said:

If you're using Racemenu, I've heard this is a common problem when using skee.dll.  There's a temporary fix available in this mod if that's your problem:

SSE Engine Fixes - https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/17230

Wow, thanks, that seems to have done it. Racemenu was a 'Won't play without it mod' so I didn't try playing without it except when testing it with all mods disabled: when the game worked fine. This was driving me nuts, you saved my sanity so thank you again.

14 hours ago, khumak said:

No problem.  I tried Racemenu briefly but it seemed glitchy still so I decided to wait a bit til it's more stable.  I had similar issues with ECE.

The problem comes from last version of xpmse calling for a function racemenu propose but is still not implemented (that is to say a blank function). Engine fix is supposed to stop xpmse's calling.

Archived