From 3ds max to new vegas.

Guest Bacon

So i made this animation (attatchments) with 2 people now is there a way to export it to new vegas and then use a command in the console to play it or am i lightyears away from this? :D

Oh and also how do you get new vegas heads into 3ds max?

Heads are a massive pain in the ass. I wouldn't even think about it until you have bodies working. You need some facegen tool (included in obv or skyrim?) and something else I think.

As for exporting to .kf, time to go hunt down niftools for MAX and just.. follow their instructions. I have no idea where the latest version is. Last time I looked there were like 5 different versions on github; one of them is even mine, when I forked what I thought was the latest one to get it working with MAX2012 x64 (at the time only 2k8 x32 was supported IIRC).

Alright heads be damned then.

Well the one i got from skyrimnexus seems to be doing nothing when i open it with nifskope. The characters are there but no animation plays and my catbones are showing argh! There are 6 different formats to chhose from and when i make them kf files they always become only 118 bytes large and contain nothing when opened in nifskope. I need a kf file and a nif file and not only a nif file or am i wrong?

This may help: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Working_with_animations_in_Skyrim

It's for skyrim so you can ignore all the crap about hkxcmd and so on, just jump ahead to the export part, assuming you already properly imported the skeleton and mesh and parented the mesh to the skeleton. From there you don't want the "update tangent spaces" option selected I don't think, nor the skin stuff.

The rest.. I don't really know. Last time I looked into this, niftools for MAX were still incomplete for OBV/FO3/FONV. They'd been working on Skyrim almost exclusively and I don't think spending any effort on the things that are needed for the other games, so selecting them just lead to messed up exports.

I found this post.

"3DS Max

For people using 3DS Max' date=' go to http://Blender.org/ and download Blender for free. Then proceed to follow the directions mentioned below. :)"

That's encouraging haha.

[/quote']

Yeah that's normally what they say. They fail to mention you need blender 2.49 also, which is an old version, since niftools don't work in the newer versions, which is a real shame because as bad as the blender UI is in the newer versions, it's absolutely horrible in the older ones.

It says Open up your animation in NifSkope to make sure it's not empty, etc:

That's excactly what mine is, empty. I dont understand why it makes such a dam small kf file. I tried all the kf options with the plugin i have and yet it makes it 118 bytes big. Im sure i messed up somewhere but i have no idea on where.

When i open the kf files from your sexout mod they work fine both in 3ds max and in nifskope but mine does'nt in nifskope.

What command do you use in the console to initiate an animation from sexout such as F_masturbate1.kf? I'm wondering because it seems like i can make changes from existing kf files from your mod and then save them just fine.

It's probably empty because the niftools export for FONV in the MAX plugin isn't actually working/complete. I don't know that for sure, but it would make sense. I really can't tell you what is making it so small.. honestly I never even got the MAX plugin working as well as you have already, just trying to offer some advice to another MAX user.

I'd try whatever forums etc. you can find wherever you download the plugin.

I haven't actually seen nifskope properly run an animation but I'm probably doing it wrong. You only need to export a .kf file if you're just making an animation for an existing model. If you're making a model too you export that separately as a NIF.

If you load a skeleton and then attach the kf to it, it should play.

Never saw it work on standard meshes though.

And loading a kf has no visible effect.

Loading a KF doesn't do anything without a skeleton' date=' right, but it just has no "visual" effect. I load them all the time to fix them when the start/end loop values are wrong and stuff like that.

[/quote']

I have seen them play like that. Maybe we don't understand each other. :)

Anyway, taht was the last unread post in F3 /NV, gone now...

Loading a KF doesn't do anything without a skeleton' date=' right, but it just has no "visual" effect. I load them all the time to fix them when the start/end loop values are wrong and stuff like that.

[/quote']

You've seen a KF play in nifskope when loaded without loading a skeleton? I haven't, I see nothing, just a little square, but I don't need to see anything to fix them. ;)

Oh to play them in the game or at least test them in the GECK is easy. I explain how to do that in the "how to add (not create) animations" link in the sexout thread' date=' first post.

[/quote']

Sigh i cant get them to play ingame with the console because i cant type " quote signs. All i get is a lousy @ when i press shift 2.

Oh to play them in the game or at least test them in the GECK is easy. I explain how to do that in the "how to add (not create) animations" link in the sexout thread' date=' first post.

[/quote']

Sigh i cant get them to play ingame with the console because i cant type " quote signs. All i get is a lousy @ when i press shift 2.

lolwut.

The " is shift-' (the key next to enter). Why are you pressing shift-2?

[/quote']

lolwut.

The " is shift-' (the key next to enter). Why are you pressing shift-2?

This is how a keyboard in sweden looks like :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Keyboard_Layout_Swedish.png

Pressing shift Ä made it for me :D

Ahhh.. :D

Gamebryo's I18N sucks, in every respect. In this case, since it's using scancodes, it's the position on the keyboard that matters, not the character printed on the key. From a FAQ on the subject (not gamebryo related)..

The PC architecture is designed to cope with different keyboard layouts for different languages, and some programs, like games, access key locations directly so that the physical relationships between keys used for different purposes will remain the same regardless of the language used with the computer on which the game is running.

I tried changing an existing legion cross animation but the game ctd when the animation is suposed to initiate so it's prob the plugin not exporting correctly.

Bummer.

[/quote']

You've seen a KF play in nifskope when loaded without loading a skeleton? I haven't, I see nothing, just a little square, but I don't need to see anything to fix them. ;)

So we did not understand each other :) . I never saw a kf play WITHOUT attaching it to a skeleton!

I though it was untentional.

The only thing needed to play a kf in nifskope are the correct bones. Including bones in some armors/clothing is actually required to make it function correctly (adding havok behavior). It's extremely rare and even more rare for a havoked item to include ALL bones a kf requires.

Oh and i got my plugin from here if you ever feel like trying.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/5622

I tried using 3ds max 2012 64bit. I ran into the empty kf problem, too. Deselecting 'remove extra bones' fixed that particular issue. But then I discovered that although the NiTransformInterpolator/NiTransformData nodes were being created, the content of the NiTransformData was incomplete. At that point I gave up. I guess blender works, but I can't bring myself to deal with blender's shitty ui or downgrade 3ds max.

Archived