Fallout 3 Armours in Fallout NV

Blackbryre

For quite a while I've been a BnB user, and overall I'd have to say my experience with the mod has be alright. After a Skyrim binge however, I came back here really craving more body options.

While updating my copy of Sexout, I somehow ended up in the Fallout 3 Nexus, and then found myself gazing longingly at the body mods and replacers like this: http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/15849

As an armour modding/porting layman, I didn't think it was possible to use an armour set and body without doing a good deal of file juggling. I did however, find this: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/34987

I had originally read the mod author's explanation of his proof of concept written ages ago, and he claimed that it would allow for mesh/texture compatibility from F3 to FNV without anything but the usual install.

I downloaded his original file (the oldest one) and gave it a spin with the previously linked armour/body pack, and it works! (For vanilla races at least. The textures don't align right for the custom races I've tried.) Some armours are converted correctly, like the Vault suit, and with BnB installed, there's full use of the bouncing. I haven't played around much with this, so my knowledge of issues is nil atm.

If this was already known, or there was an easier way to do this, then I'll feel pretty silly. I just thought I'd share what I found :)

EDIT: Apparently no mods are needed to use FO3 texture/mesh replacers. However adding armour would likely require a mod like the second one listed. I feel rather silly about this thread now...

Don't feel silly. It is known by experienced modders that meshes and textures can be swapped from FO3 to FNV without any modifications. The only change you need to make to get custom armors is add them via an esp file. As you said, replacer meshes/textures will work without an esp just fine.

Cheers,

Greg

Does this hold true for Skyrim as well? What I mean is' date=' could I convert a Skyrim armor to FNV just by copy-pasting?

[/quote']

Unfortunately not. Skyrim uses a completely different skeleton and has 1st person rigging as well. You will need blender or 3dsmax to convert it. Sorry...:(

• 2 weeks later...

So I grabbed the DRK-2PEX body and armor replacers and installed them just fine. however I still have some files left from BnB body because hey why not. As I expected however the textures for DRK-2PEX are messed up on the BnB armors that are left. These armors being the original outfits that Obsidian added with New Vegas.

Now my questions are thus: Could I put the BnB textures into there own folder create a texture set in the geck and just point the Vegas armors to the new set and has someone done something similar already?

To be honest I'm also considering just doing a straight up replacement with some mod armors as well. Just trying to find out which would be easier to do.

So I grabbed the DRK-2PEX body and armor replacers and installed them just fine. however I still have some files left from BnB body because hey why not. As I expected however the textures for DRK-2PEX are messed up on the BnB armors that are left. These armors being the original outfits that Obsidian added with New Vegas.

Now my questions are thus: Could I put the BnB textures into there own folder create a texture set in the geck and just point the Vegas armors to the new set and has someone done something similar already?

To be honest I'm also considering just doing a straight up replacement with some mod armors as well. Just trying to find out which would be easier to do.

You don't control textures with the GECK - only meshes. What you would need to do is open the meshes in nifskope and change all the texture paths to point at the new folder locations.

What "would" be easier is to grab the textures and put them into the same folders and locations as they were from fallout and then everything will work without you having to do anything other than loading the armors into an esp to get them into the game. You could also rename the meshes to replace existing armors\clothes but make sure they cover the same body slots or you will have missing body parts.

Yeah see the problem was with Skin textures so just putting them in the same place wouldn't work as they would overwrite each other. For whatever reason BnB and DRK-2PEX don't play well together. I figured it out though I just used the armors from Exnem BB oily skin and skimpy armor pack (http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/11511) and put those into an esp to replace the Vegas exclusive clothes and armor.

• 2 months later...

Archived