[SOLVED] Cannot save or load any files

HyperonicX

I just recently upgraded to a new computer, and after installing Skyrim to a different hard drive (not the C:), I am unable to save or load any files whatsoever. This includes save files from my old laptop, which I had copied everything from to the new computer.

I can start up a new game, create my character, and when trying to save afterwards, I can save, but when I go to load it, to see if it has saved, I get a noise and nothing pops up. I go to save again to check, and it shows that there is no save there whatsoever.

I have tried quite a few things including changing the Documents folder to my second hard drive, adding "SLocalSavePath=Q:\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves" to the Skyrim.ini files in both Documents (C drive) and the skyrim folder in my Q drive, and making all those folders have full access by users, and made them non-read only.

Nothing worked at all.

Can someone please help me?

5 minutes ago, TomatoEddie said:

@HyperonicX

hello, Hyper;

i can't aid you much, for i have an old and crappy iMac i5. it actually runs "The Elder Scroll V - SkyRim" pretty well, even though it doesn't accept several Mods and CC.
one thing i learnt from experience: Skyrim has to run from my Main drive; because it creates a virtual drive during runtime, the game will always look for its files in "C:."
in Macintoshes, we use a wrapper (usually Wine) that emulates a Windows environment; in theory, "C:" would be the disk where the wrapper is installed. even so, Skyrim conflicts when installed in any drive other than Main. i tried before, and had these same problems.
so try installing your game in your main drive (if you still haven't), and see how it behaves.

hope this helps;

cheers.

Not gonna do that. I have that SSD for my OS only. I do not want anything else on it, except for very few files and the OS.

You may have to reset Skyrim from the launcher, and run it in admin mode (from the compatibility menu).

There's also your plugin list, which can either be copied from the AppData folder or you have to redo your load order.

I suspect though that it is a Mod Manager issue, which is likely to go nutso if you change a drive letter. That is, if you use one.

The game cache may also need to be verified again.

1 hour ago, Pauduan said:

You may have to reset Skyrim from the launcher, and run it in admin mode (from the compatibility menu).

There's also your plugin list, which can either be copied from the AppData folder or you have to redo your load order.

I suspect though that it is a Mod Manager issue, which is likely to go nutso if you change a drive letter. That is, if you use one.

The game cache may also need to be verified again.

I've already done that, and I've already checked all the settings with NMM. Same goes with verification.

If anything, I had to re-verify it anyway when NMM couldn't see any of the DLC .esm files.

Try opening up or saving anything that you copied over from the old directory on the old drive. See it if gives you an error when trying to edit, say, a screen shot. Or, when right clicking on one of the files you copied over, for the properties, and make sure "read only" isn't checked, and also under the security tab that your current username has "full control" of the file. 

3 hours ago, Farmthat said:

Try opening up or saving anything that you copied over from the old directory on the old drive. See it if gives you an error when trying to edit, say, a screen shot. Or, when right clicking on one of the files you copied over, for the properties, and make sure "read only" isn't checked, and also under the security tab that your current username has "full control" of the file. 

Everything there is pretty much normal. No problems whatsoever.

Well, I've managed to get it all working properly now.

I ended up wiping my hard drive of all Skyrim related files and whatnot, and redownloading and reinstalling the game.

After checking with a vanilla save, everything worked perfectly.

After copying all the files back from my portable hard drive. where I back everything up on, I ran everything needed (FNIS, LOOT, TES5Edit, etc.) and reworked my mod order, since all of my mods were unchecked, and created a new character.

Saved perfectly. Loading works too.

I can FINALLY play Skyrim on my new computer!

Btw, I ran a few tests with Fallout New Vegas and Fallout 4 and everything was fine on their ends, while Skyrim wasn't working. So that's where I came up with the idea of redownloading the whole thing and whatnot.

Anyway, problem solved.

Archived