Using Loverslabs search feature

AnonAngelion

Hi all.

I tried looking through support for this but couldn't find any details.

I'm trying to find out any known tips and tricks for homing in on the content that one is looking for more precisely, using the on-site search engine, I've been a member of the site for a few years now and even after the site was updated, it still feels like a gamble to find anything one wants while searching.

I've tried tweaking the settings to the best of my limited knowledge of the sites workings, I've set the search preferences to "Files", but no matter what I do the result seems quite random, file searches of things such as Animation packs for example, will instead result in me being taken to forum discussions both related and unrelated to the specific mod that I searched, and will often not even lead to a download link for them, I've felt like searching is akin to bashing my head against a brick wall for a long time now.

So on top of any help I can get for this, I would like to ask, will the sites search engine ever be simplified? for instance when someone searches for the name of a mod it will prioritize taking them to the "File" instead of every single random thread where the mod was mentioned, however briefly?

Maybe it's just that I'm missing something obvious, the only place I haven't looked yet is the advanced search settings in the primary search setting window, but I've set everything I found to prioritize "Files" and it seems to make no difference, it's incredibly frustrating, I find it easier to just sift through a whole category rather then using the search bar and that's no good as it is time consuming. :/

Very well then thanks anyway.

Out of curiosity, I would ask why it sucks so bad, I almost feel like there's a bit of a story behind that lol, maybe not, but a search engine sounds like an easy thing to do, at least for someone whose put together a whole site and such, again...maybe not, but I wonder...

Suffice to say, it is about the search algorithms and this forums software isn't within light years of something like google.

Ashal has enough to do just keeping the site up and running, so trying to improve the search, when it isn't a critical core function, is obviously going to have a very low priority.

On 10.12.2017 at 2:48 AM, chaos_angel239 said:

Very well then thanks anyway.

Out of curiosity, I would ask why it sucks so bad, I almost feel like there's a bit of a story behind that lol, maybe not, but a search engine sounds like an easy thing to do, at least for someone whose put together a whole site and such, again...maybe not, but I wonder...

It's pretty much everything else than easy to do, at least by todays standards... 20 years ago, the results you experience from the LL search where the standard for the whole web, at least not much better. And for revolutioning this i'll always be grateful to google, no matter if they turned evil by now. That they got this market share in no time although there were plenty other search engines has a reason. 

On 12/11/2017 at 8:51 PM, Nazzzgul666 said:

It's pretty much everything else than easy to do, at least by todays standards... 20 years ago, the results you experience from the LL search where the standard for the whole web, at least not much better. And for revolutioning this i'll always be grateful to google, no matter if they turned evil by now. That they got this market share in no time although there were plenty other search engines has a reason. 

Errrm...so its not easy to do then.

Another thing I've noticed is how the tags on files behave just as chaotically as the search engine itself, say I go into "Adult files" in general, and I spot a new animation pack I haven't seen etc, then after having a look at that it occurs to me to check on the other animation packs for updates, I click the "Animation" tag at the top of the file page, and instead of being directed to animation files, I end up in the "Activity" list, where there's all sorts of random unrelated stuff.

I realize that I'm just one voice out of lord knows how many members, and I don't know how many people even manage this site, but maybe...since loverslab seems to be growing somewhat, maybe those with the know-how ought to smooth the rough edges of the search engine for future?

Considering the number of files there are, it's really bad that the search is quite literally useless, it's important because unless people check the site literally every single day, mods that some would use may slip through the cracks, and once it goes from recent files to the main files list, it's existence gets pushed into the background, google can only help you find stuff that you already know the keyword of, at the end of the day, and loverslab only notifies you of mods that your following, not new arrivals, so it is necessary. :confused:

It's not neccessary to check every day, you have to check several pages sometimes, though. I agree that this could be better, but LL is a one man show... Ashal does all the work for LL and tries to release a new sexlab version, so... checking the last 3-6 pages isn't too much work imho. Any mods that get any attention will usually be at the frst 3 pages, to look a bit further might still be worth it, but beyond that... usually it has a reason that nobody posts there. ;)

9 minutes ago, Nazzzgul666 said:

It's not neccessary to check every day, you have to check several pages sometimes, though. I agree that this could be better, but LL is a one man show... Ashal does all the work for LL and tries to release a new sexlab version, so... checking the last 3-6 pages isn't too much work imho. Any mods that get any attention will usually be at the frst 3 pages, to look a bit further might still be worth it, but beyond that... usually it has a reason that nobody posts there. ;)

Ashal's the only operator? wow, fair play to him I guess, some peeps should give him a hand lol, oh well...maybe one day.

Archived