[solved] FoV baked into savegame - how to reset?

guk

Following problem:

---> If you ever change the FoV in Fallout 4 through the console, your savegame is permanently stuck with a broken FoV setup. (Solution in post #5)

This is how i have my settings in the FO4 configurator.
N4Jk3h5T_o.jpg

When i just enter for example "fov 85", this affects all cameras - 1st, 3rd, ADS and Pip-Boy. Saving and restarting the game will now permanently use this value.

According to the Wiki Console Commands, there actually is a second optional parameter so you can set the 3rd- and 1st person FoV separately like this: "fov 70 85".
However, when doing this it still uses the 3rd person FoV (70) for the PB which hides most of it.

So, is there any command or trick to reset everything? I know Skyrim has something like "refreshini" to get all original settings back, but there seems to be nothing like this in FO4.

Hmm okay, so the command "refreshini" works in Fallout 4 as well. Probably i made a typo when i tested that, and it's not documented in the wiki either.

It doesn't fix the Pip-Boy and ADS FoV though. So if you for example have a FoV of 30 for a screenshot, using the command will keep 30 for PB and ADS (also See-Through Scopes).

What seems to work is to just enter whatever you have as 1st person FoV in the config, then refreshini. Verified with comparison screenshots for all PoVs.

Example "FoV 85" -> "refreshini"

BTW the reason to not change this in the config files is because of screenshot sessions; changing the write-protected INI file several times while figuring out the ideal FoV for a shot is just not viable.

In the past i would never touch the FOV command on a "serious" savegame because of this issue. Well now we know the fix.

I entered a fov of 30 and my pip boy display was upside down, 70 wouldn't display the entire screen. 75 - 80 seems to be the most optimal for it, 75 has the pip boy screen fill the screen while 80 let me see the entire pip boy.

As for the console commands they are the same between Skyrim and Fallout as the engine is the same. Here is a line I added to my Skyrim ini that you wouldn't expect to see:

[VATS]
bVATSDisable=1

This keeps the kill moves from being displayed in their cinematic mode and instead they are played in the normal view.

Well from my testing it works like this:

The game uses the 1st person FoV value from your config files for the PB after game start (meaning "New Game" in the main menu), but it doesn't reset it with /refreshini.

Also the "ADS" FoV for iron / reflex sights is not even being used at all, otherwise you would look through a very much zoomed in center. More problematic with the See-Through Scopes and custom guns, where you can't see the scope itself with a FoV of 70.

Instead the game keeps using the 1st person FoV and only switches the camera PoV for ironsights.

• 11 months later...
On 11/2/2017 at 5:32 PM, guk said:

Hmm okay, so the command "refreshini" works in Fallout 4 as well. Probably i made a typo when i tested that, and it's not documented in the wiki either.

It doesn't fix the Pip-Boy and ADS FoV though. So if you for example have a FoV of 30 for a screenshot, using the command will keep 30 for PB and ADS (also See-Through Scopes).

What seems to work is to just enter whatever you have as 1st person FoV in the config, then refreshini. Verified with comparison screenshots for all PoVs.

Example "FoV 85" -> "refreshini"

BTW the reason to not change this in the config files is because of screenshot sessions; changing the write-protected INI file several times while figuring out the ideal FoV for a shot is just not viable.

In the past i would never touch the FOV command on a "serious" savegame because of this issue. Well now we know the fix.

Thank you this saved my ass...

19 hours ago, mustafa58 said:

Thank you this saved my ass...

Oh if you had the FoV problem due to screenshots, make sure to check this - FreeFlyCam plugin.

With this you can control the FoV and pitch/roll through SKSE keybinds, and it always returns to your game settings after leaving TFC.

It's not yet updated for the latest FO4 version though.

Archived