The gunowners thread.

So Yeah, I assume a number of us have guns.

Groundrules:

Only post if a gunowner, or intersted in actual firearm discussion.

Not a gun rights debate thread.

Anyway to start off a topic, what guns does everyone here have ?

I've got a Hi-Point Firearms JHP .45, to fill my concealed carry/home defense role, loaded with jacketed hollow points, which carries nine in the magazine.

It's polymer framed, so all the metal is in the slide and (most) moving parts, and to reduce strain on the polymer the slide and the chamber were built a tad heavier, making it actually be more stable when firing, due to the weight being top and foward.

In before this becomes an anti Hi-Point thread and I have to start posting stress test videos on youtube.

I have two mini-14's, a Marlin 60 .22 rifle, a Ruger P89 9mm pistol, a Glock 22 40cal pistol, and a Remington 870 pump shotgun with 50 cal buckshot rounds for home defense.

I really like my Glock, but I would love to have a .45 Hi-Point! I just can't justify buying one as I barely find time to go shoot what I have! I am jealous of you Kashiwaba Tomoe.....:)

I have a Taurus 'Judge' snubnose revolver(5 shot). Fires Colt 45 loads and .410 shotgun shells. Also have a revolver rifle by same manufacturer called 'The Circuit Judge' that fires the same loads.

How do those long colts feel when firing ?

Also' date=' how do the shells handle in a pistol ?

I really like my Glock, but I would love to have a .45 Hi-Point! I just can't justify buying one as I barely find time to go shoot what I have! I am jealous of you Kashiwaba Tomoe.....:)

I paid $150 for mine, $160 with tax.

I have one of these.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765668_-1_757954_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm.

Its not actually my own yet, I've got 3 years or so before I can legally own my own handgun, but its "mine" in the same sense as most things your parents buy for you and say is yours even though its in their name. It will actually be mine when I can legally own it.

I first shot ever with it was a dead center bullseye at 30-40 yards. First shot ever with a handgun in general, though I've fired rifles in the past. My family is full of gunowners, so its nothing special here. :3

I've been around guns since I was little, so I wasn't any pansy-ass who squealed and dropped the gun when I shot it like you see girls do all the time in Youtube videos. In fact, it felt so natural... My handgun skills have only improved since. I shoot at targets the size of ping pong balls at 20 yards for fun, and shoot at normal targets at 100yards with reasonable accuracy (Nothing special, like dead centers or tight groups, but dead is dead if it were actually something that I needed to shoot).

I can hit human sized targets at 700yards with ease using a rifle, my PSL that is similarly my fathers but is labeled as mine. Though I think I can actually own rifles now that I'm 18. I riddled a beaver sized target full of holes with a very controlled grouping at 500 on the first time I fired an automatic weapon (The cliche M16 I believe it was. I don't know. Never shot it since and I'm horrible with names.)

I'm a very natural shot :3 I'm good with bows as well. Even better perhaps. I ran a test at an archery range and got beat the test with flying colors on the first attempt, you had to get 100 points or something in an hour with 70 arrows. It was like 5 points for the center ring (Maybe 5 inches in diameter), 2 for the second ring (about 5 inches out from the center ring), and 1 for the third which was larger and encompassed the rest of the target. Shots that didn't hit the target at all subtracted two points.

I passed the test on my 26th shot I believe and was the first one to complete the test that day which let me skip most the other stuff. It wasn't any real test for anything, it was more like one of those self-satisfaction things.

Shooting just runs in my veins :3 I can't understand how some people can injure themselves when shooting a bow (Never once in my life have I received injury from either a firearm or a bow). It makes me cringe when I see someone give themselves a black eye from being too close to the scope- wearing it almost like a frigging goggle or something- In what planet would you come from to not understand that the force of the weapon is going to drive that sucker into your eye socket?

Ranged weapons always feel like an extension of myself.

Except Slingshots... I hate slingshots.... they feel so foreign and I can barely hit within 5ft of my target.

I really like my Glock' date=' but I would love to have a .45 Hi-Point! I just can't justify buying one as I barely find time to go shoot what I have! I am jealous of you Kashiwaba Tomoe.....:)

[/quote']

I paid $150 for mine, $160 with tax.

Yea, that is where it starts...then extra clips and custom sights/grips and probably a laser too since I would use it for home defense most likely. And let's not forget ammo.

Sometimes the gun itself is the cheapest thing.......:P

I have a Taurus 'Judge' snubnose revolver(5 shot). Fires Colt 45 loads and .410 shotgun shells. Also have a revolver rifle by same manufacturer called 'The Circuit Judge' that fires the same loads.

How do those long colts feel when firing ?

Also, how do the shells handle in a pistol ?

The recoil is not bad even with .410s. I've fired .44 magnums and they

seemed to kick more than the colt 45 loads or the .410s. The magnum

also left my ears ringing for about 45 minutes after the fact.

sammy, I'd recomend getting a pistol of some kind for home defence, just my two cents.

Here's my 'gun priority' way of ordering things, and the order in which to fill each catagory if you have nothing.

1- defence. Something for concealed carry or home defence, usually a pistol.

2- shotgun. Even BETTER for home defence, crowd control, etc.

3- Longarm. Preferbly some type of assault rifle, incase of larger scale civil unrests (IE: the rodney king riots, when all the 'poor oppressed' people killed anyone with a differnt skin color)

edit: To clarify, get one of each of these, then after that start collecting for fun, or getting higher end versions of each (IE: I have the cash I'll spend arround $700-1000 for a 1911 model .45 as opposed to teh $150 bargin bin model I got now. Both work, one is the unidsputed king of pistols for a reason however.)

note: for those that don't know guns, this is the 1911.

A century of use, and still the best semi automatic pistol design to date.

Like many other exellent firearms of that era, it was designed by John Moses Browning..

If you are going strictly for home defense I would push you to the street howitzer. There is nothing that can compare with it. Pump action shotguns can be purchased quite cheaply and are extremely reliable. Get some 50cal buckshot and you don't need to aim. Just stick it around the corner and pull the trigger.

Most times just chambering a round will send the intruder scurrying on their way. I know I wouldn't stick around if I heard that noise!

While a pistol is an excellent backup weapon for home defense it does require some aim which can be difficult at night, in the dark, having just woken up at a strange noise.

I partially concede the point, for those unused to firearms shotguns would be the best option.

However, a pistol can be concealed and took with you most everywhere you go, provided you live in a state that has concealed carry permits, and furthermore a pistol is also an equal option for those accustomed to firearms as well.

I partially concede the point' date=' for those unused to firearms shotguns would be the best option.

However, a pistol can be concealed and took with you most everywhere you go, provided you live in a state that has concealed carry permits, and furthermore a pistol is also an equal option for those accustomed to firearms as well.

[/quote']

Yea, I agree that a pistol is superior for self defense outside the home. Especially one with good stopping power (9mm is not the best for this).

However, even a decent marksman with a pistol is at a distinct disadvantage in the dark having just woken up. You end up praying and spraying unless you can manage to flip a light on (and find your glasses!).

In the pray and spray in the dark type situation a shotgun is more likely to score a hit.

Either way when you open fire the thief (with any weapon) the thief is probably going to cut his losses and split, which is the real point anyway.

let me clarify I own a .22 rifle my mother has a Remington double barrel 12 gauge my brother has a colt .45 my aunt and uncle who live less than 100 feet away have an ar 15 a mouzer m1 grade a 30.06 a long barrel goose gun Desert eagle and 3 nine milometer glocks between both house holds we have almost 400 rounds per weapon i think we are good for the defense bit

When just waking up' date=' I can see pulling a pistol from under the pillow, but not a shotgun.

As for making him cut and run, I'd rather just kill the thief.

[/quote']

Well my shotgun is right behind my night stand so I can get to it easier than opening a drawer and thumb pressing my hand gun case to get at my Glock.

As for you second statement....no way. Let them cut and run every time. Have you ever tried to clean brains off of the walls and out of the carpet? :P

Start watching at 39 seconds:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOBvGGaDnKQ&feature=related

.45 under the pillow is even easier.

As for cleaning' date=' it's easier than lawsuit.

[/quote']

Different strokes for different folks. I can't sleep with a gun under my pillow as it would poke the shit out of me with the pillow I have to use due to my bad back.

Lawsuit for scaring someone off...never happen.

If you mean shooting them. Well, my ROTC instructor said it better than I ever could have: "If you must fire your weapon at another human being, then shoot to kill, because he is going to be doing the same. Trying to "wing'em" is something that only works in Hollywood."

Or this sarcastically famous sign:

il_fullxfull.264073171.jpg