[WIP] Where do the bad girls go?

Trykz

8 hours ago, VonHelton said:

The jails already exist, I just visited one in the game yesterday when I was going to free Nick.......

?

I know. But only one of them is utilized by only one quest. And nothing in that quest really helps in any way.

Besides, I don't want to send the player to a vanilla jail..... there's no fun in that. I want them sent to MY jail, where they can be passed around for "social" activities with the other inmates ?

Bethesda started something. And for whatever reason, chose to abandon it. So I'm looking for all the pieces I can find, perhaps filling in the gaps, and then using it for my own purposes. I know of three actual "post-war" jails in the game:

Diamond City ---------

Goodneighbor ----------- Bethesda didn't add these for no reason. They were originally intended to serve a purpose. A purpose which was obviously later scrapped.

Covenant HQ ---------

Then there are of course, the "pre-war" jails in the various police stations. Which are all just set dressing, that only serve as sensible locations to find those holotapes.

I'm certain that Bethesda intended to add a crime and punishment system, and then later scrapped the idea for the easier to implement "wasteland justice", which really didn't require them doing anything more than making some faction adjustments, and checking the "attack on sight" box on the faction forms.

Anyway, I'm firing up the CK now to do some more hunting.

Trykz

It seems to me that the most logical choice, and probably the most frustrating, would be the one organization that would have spanned the commonwealth, had the resources and manpower to staff the jail, and whose authority would have actually extended beyond the walls of Diamond City and Goodneighbor.  That would be the Minuteman.

I do think you'll end up having to write everything from scratch as the very limited areas where any justice system would have applied simply weren't big enough for Bethesda to bother actually fleshing out any form of crime and punishment.  DC and GN have Mutants and raiders literally squatting right outside the walls and the crime system would have been trivial at best.  Add the fact that Beth clearly wanted the majority of the gameplay to be centered around combat and wasteland justice was the only real implementable system left.

I think this is going to be the most ambitious project you have going for you.  You'll have to set up a faction that makes sense that can actually run this prison, balance it so that no one is heavily restricted on the content, and then go about figuring out what should actually be considered illegal in the first place.  Then get to the hard part of actually scripting things so that some one will try to arrest the player.

For what its worth my hat's off to you for undertaking this beast.  It'll be awesome if you can get it working.

• 4 months later...

Archived