Try launching it from Steam if you're running it for the first time.  I think sometimes it forgets to copy one of the Steam DLLs over when you install it but does so the first time you launch the game from within Steam.

Thanks for the reply, but that did not help.  Also when I click play on the launcher or through Steam, the launcher pops up a second time instead, once I press play on the second launcher the game starts, but crashes when I click new game.

Okay, I tried  a fresh installed game and it starts fine.  So the problem lies with mods.  I don't know which mod could be causing the crash.  The Update.esm, Dawngaurd.esm, Hearthfires.esm, and Dragonborn.esm are all dirty.  Should I clean them or let them be?  In my previous install I cleaned them.  So I'm thinking that might be the problem?  Also is the cleaning process for SSE the same as the original?

You mustve cleaned them wrong somehow. Follow the instructions at this link and make sure your numbers match to whats shown at the bottom of the page.

The DLCs and Update esms should be cleaned always. User made mods should only be cleaned if their mod authors suggest it. Some "errors" are there intentionally.

https://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/4110-manual-cleaning-skyrim-and-skyrim-se-master-files/

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions.  I am just looking forward to play Skyrim SE.  Now I have to see if the game doesn't crash when nearing Riverwood and Whiterun, like in the original.

friendly tip to help you out also. some mods even if the author says to uncheck a mod and then let his mod finish loading then recheck the ESP/ESM in the folder after his/her mod is installed and configured. sometimes that will not help as such example, rigmor of bruma and immersive armors. there is an issue between those two mods for some reason. as it stands now with the current dated files as of 5/17/17 those two files are incompatible. I load immersive armors wait for it to config then install rigmor mod and i CTD after about 20-30 seconds. i load rigmor then load game, save game, quit, install immersive armors, then load game back up and same thing happens again. its always best to install mods that have no conflict with each other ESPECIALLY with scripts untill SKSE is released to help solve these issues hopefully. hope the tip helps.

friendly tip to help you out also. some mods even if the author says to uncheck a mod and then let his mod finish loading then recheck the ESP/ESM in the folder after his/her mod is installed and configured. sometimes that will not help as such example, rigmor of bruma and immersive armors. there is an issue between those two mods for some reason. as it stands now with the current dated files as of 5/17/17 those two files are incompatible. I load immersive armors wait for it to config then install rigmor mod and i CTD after about 20-30 seconds. i load rigmor then load game, save game, quit, install immersive armors, then load game back up and same thing happens again. its always best to install mods that have no conflict with each other ESPECIALLY with scripts untill SKSE is released to help solve these issues hopefully. hope the tip helps.

Yes, thank you for the tip.  I do use Immersive Armors and saw that Rigmor of Bruma was converted.  I was thinking about eventually trying it, but now I know not to run both.:)

Archived