Pc recomendations

Hope this is the correct venue. If not, I apologize. I currently play skyrim on xbox one and am in need of recomendations for a pc that will allow me to enjoy all the mods on this site. I have not owned a computer since oblivion. I want something that has at least 32 gigs of ram and the best grsphics. The local comp stores are full of igits. Anyone know of good high end computers? Should I get a laptop or stick with a standup?

32Gb of ram, wtf, why?

Normally i would suggest just building a pc and go from there on what parts to look for, but it might be better to learn a little bit more about the hardware and what it does first.

No offense or anything dude but really look into what some of the crap does before looking for this or that, doing so will save you money and heart ache.

Well if you want an optimized PC that lets you run games smoothly while still generally affordable, I'd recommend this;

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 1600 8 cores/16 threads with Wraith Cooler 3.2GHz ($220)

GPU : ZOTAC GTX1070 8GB GDDR5 AMP! Edition ($450)

Motherboard : MSI B350 TOMAHAWK AM4 DDR4 ATX Mobo ($110)

RAM : Corsair Vengeance 32GB kit (4x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz ($260)

PSU : Cooler Master V750 Semi-Modular RS-750-AMAA-G1 ($215)

Case : Corsair Carbide Series 100R Mid Tower Case ($50)

HDD : WD Blue SATA 1TB 7200RPM ($50)

SSD : Samsung Evo 850 250GB ($110)

The total is around $1465 and unfortunately I haven't included monitor, mouse, keyboard, speaker/headset in the list, also I rounded up the price higher to a save value, knowing different country got different price tag. It will let you play current games at 1440p or 4K at 60 fps or even higher. Any correction or more optimization is welcome, hope it helps!

16 gigs of ram is already an overkill, you can run everything in 2017 with 8 gigs easily. You can just buy a single 8 gig stick, and if a time comes, where gaming would require more than that, you can just buy another one just like the first and put it in the motherboard, and boom, you got 16 gigs.

I suggest investing that extra ram money into as powerful graphics card as you can afford, as that is the most important thing for your computer when gaming is concerned.

Thank you all for the info. My experience with computers goes back to DOS 5.0. I know 32 gigs is overkill but it is what I want. I plan on having several games. My budget is high but I just wanted to get an idea of what pre bult machines are available from people who use them rather than a manufacturers website. Now what would really be nice is a all solid state machine..lol. Again thanks for the information.

You may want to check out Alienware laptops and desktops too. I was considering one for my next laptop purchase, my desktop is still good enough for a couple more years of games. With a high-end laptop I can still play my favorite games, while I'm away from home on work assignments.

Also look for deals outside of Dell, who owns this brand, like Amazon, Newegg, etc. I found some of the slightly older setups actually cheaper than on Dell's site.

Really depends on your budget.  In general though, I would say you want at least 8GB of system Ram, at least 4GB of video memory and then depending on your budget get the strongest CPU and GPU your budget allows.  For me noise level is also important.  I insist that any PC I build always be completely silent.  If I ever hear a fan or a drive spin up, that is unacceptable.

I can tell you this right now, run a PC that is not set to run 1 RAM module and you will have serious errors being on the OS, burn the Ram out, and Cause conflict issues in the motherboards Bios. it is always best to use 2 stick of the same type of RAM in a motherboard. make sure that is they say on the box that it is dual channel memory that there are chips on BOTH sides of the sticks, cause if its on 1 side then that memory is for a DATA center or SERVER Ram Motherboards, cause if you put that into a Personal PC for home use you will eventually have a system reboot about roughly 40 min to 2 hours at a time depending on how much gets buffered through the RAM.

I would suggest that you start with a Motherboard option 1st, one that can do multiple upgrades over the years. Keep a basic CPU that will last you for at least 8 years or more such as a 3.8GHZ or higher, at least room for 4 ram sticks which would be best to have a DDR3 or a DDR4 option. DDR5 is still buggy for some boards so best to stay clear of those for at least another year or so if not two years before getting those if your Board can use those. graphics cards are usually easier to do since the basic option you will have to decide on is if you want a Full HD (HDMI), standard (DVI), or a run of the mill monitor (SVGA), or if you want to run more then 1 monitor for the gamer option, then you would buy two of the same cards to crossfire/SLI them based on if its a ATI or a NVidia card. you want to have at least 2GB or more of graphic ram on the card and for a hard drive it would depend if you want it to last as long as possible based on its usage (meaning how often you use your PC) now if you want a VERY long lasting Hard Drive (HD) there are two types used now adays, the standard would be a western digital HD that is not SSD (Solid State Drive) so with these types of drives they can last you a very long time, roughly 3-6 years, if you use your PC everyday for about 2-8 hours a day. a SSD will last you roughly 2-5 years if used the same amount of time as the regular HD. now of the brands, corsairs are good ones, so are Western Digital, but BY GOD!!! stay clear of the Samsung HD, they are not worth buying cause within a 1 year use of a regular drive (which i play my PC for about 6-14 hours a day on my days off and 5 hours when i work that day) the drive crashed on me due to burnt out sectors or bad sector errors. I have had no issues or problems with Western Digital and i would HIGHLY suggest using those drives. also the major differences between a regular drive and a SSD drive is speed, a regular drive may take you roughly 30 seconds to 1 minute to fully boot up from hitting that power button to turn it on, with a SSD it will take you roughly about 15 seconds to 50 seconds to fully booth up with just an OS on it. i would highly suggest windows 7, since window 8 is still not quite working too well with some programs and Microsoft is making patches to adjust Win8 to be more like Win7 in comparison to Win10, but with some features of it. Win10 is still has some issues with monitors being booted back up along with PC when its put in sleep mode, monitor sleep modes are coming on even when selected to stay on in the control panel (one issue i am currently still having). I hope this helps you out. I have been building my OWN PC for as long as i can remember and i am willing to bet i have been doing it longer then most on here. for me my 1st PC was a 386 desktop Dos 2.0 OS, if that helps, so you all know how long i have been building PC's. I always go with the more stable products for best results and longevity with a PC. basically a "Get your money's worth out of it" kind of builds. I have built PC's that cost me no more then $800 while people were buying them, paying around $900 to $1,500 stock or build you own and it would last them no more then 2-3 years before they have to either buy a new one or rebuild it again in that same amount of time. I have had PC's last me anywhere from 6 years up to 10 years with the way i build them with the items i look at. best tip is to LEAVE ROOM FOR FUTURE UPGRADES! so you don't wast your money building it.

Just get this - http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-fx502vm-ah51.html

Then click on customize to select more ram if you like.

If money is not a concern, you can grab a gtx 1080 which is unnecessary. According to GPU boss, the laptop 1080 (not the desktop) is the strongest card in the world right now. I find that interesting. Never thought it would happen but we truly are going for mobility hear.

edit - actually, the screen is too small imo. If u want a bigger one - http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g752vm-rb71.html

or if you want to make upgrading a little easier in the future - http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8176-clevo-p670hp6-g.html

Archived