Need some help to determine a lag spike

Hello world,

Ive been modding Skyrim for the past 4 weeks trying to get my game as stable as possible. Its been no easy task, been using tes5edit to check  conflicts and try to resolve them, merge plugins like patches and outfits that are masters of none, reading countless forums trying different recommendations, even created a RAM Disk which I copied all my Textures and Meshes which have improved loading and game play by ALOT  and testing, testing, testing. Atm I think I'm nearly at, not 100% but close, to a stable Skyrim.

My game has a total of 345 active and inactive plugins that some were merged, the Active plugins are 214. I can play with an FPS ranging from 60 to 40 depending on what I'm doing, in a fight it could lower to 30 FPS but its usually fairly stable. Recently I found an issue where my FPS drops to 15 every time I make Zora Fairchild from Interesting NPCs a follower. At first I thought it was ATF which it isn't maintained anymore and it does have its issues with Interesting NPCs. So after some research I decided to change to EFF it has many positive reviews and patches that still work. Which of course it to meant to start over with a new game  and make the fixes necessary to the patch I created, and rerun the patchers. After I was done I tested, FPS was normally around 60 to 40, until I made Zora Fairchild a follower, FPS went down to 15 to 12. At this point I have no idea what could be causing this issue, I have checked and rechecked, unfortunately idk how to read papyrus correctly, so I decided to ask the community for help.

Attached I'm sending my most recent Log, my Load order and active plugins from MO. I'm sure there are still errors I cant find or am knowledgeable enough to find but I have tried; if someone could lend me a hand I would be extremely grateful.

tsubaki

Papyrus.0.log

loadorder.txt

plugins.txt

Well, i skimmed through the log, but i really do not know much about any of those mods you are using, so hopefully someone else might see somethign strange in there.

Nevertheless, here are some random thoughts:

If it seems to be connected to this NPC, i would use console command showinventory to look at what is he wearing, what possible enchantments/abilities/whatnot could he have, or scripts tied to any items he might have on him.

I would use console commands to force him to unequip everything, to see if it makes any difference (i had simmilar issue once, where the culprit was a messed up armor NIF - dont remember details though).

Then maybe use removeAllItems to get rid of all his things and see if that helps - you might want to try the same thing BEFORE you meet him (prid in console to select him, and then use those commands again).

Also, do you always meet that NPC at the same spot/cell? If yes, then the problem may not be this NPC but something else.

Try to load save before you met the NPC, and use "ref.moveto player" to teleport that NPC to you, and see what happens.

Check in CK, or tesEdit, whether the NPC is used by anything, any quest, etc. - if yes, load the OK save and stop those quests, or disable that NPC, and go to the location where you met him before, and see what happens.

...sorry, thats all i can think of right now.

You may also try to use "disable" on him before you meet him - then go to that place and see if it makes any difference.

Well, i skimmed through the log, but i really do not know much about any of those mods you are using, so hopefully someone else might see somethign strange in there.

Nevertheless, here are some random thoughts:

If it seems to be connected to this NPC, i would use console command showinventory to look at what is he wearing, what possible enchantments/abilities/whatnot could he have, or scripts tied to any items he might have on him.

I would use console commands to force him to unequip everything, to see if it makes any difference (i had simmilar issue once, where the culprit was a messed up armor NIF - dont remember details though).

Then maybe use removeAllItems to get rid of all his things and see if that helps - you might want to try the same thing BEFORE you meet him (prid in console to select him, and then use those commands again).

Also, do you always meet that NPC at the same spot/cell? If yes, then the problem may not be this NPC but something else.

Try to load save before you met the NPC, and use "ref.moveto player" to teleport that NPC to you, and see what happens.

Check in CK, or tesEdit, whether the NPC is used by anything, any quest, etc. - if yes, load the OK save and stop those quests, or disable that NPC, and go to the location where you met him before, and see what happens.

...sorry, thats all i can think of right now.

You may also try to use "disable" on him before you meet him - then go to that place and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for your reply Roggvir,

Your suggestion is very welcomed and I will try it right now, I haven't consider that it could be a mesh or the cell itself that could cause this. I will try both suggestions, I saved before and after I met the NPC and yes I always meet her on the same area and lastly yes she is tied to a small quest line.

Edit,

I have confirmed it doesn't have to do with the NPCs equipment or the cell. Its interesting though; when I first logged on the game started and stayed on the normal FPS range, so I exited Brittleshin Pass to the world and the FPS stayed. Then I traveled to the cave of Helgen Keep and as soon as I entered the FPS dropped. So I think it could be a script but I cant determine which one. Ill attach the Log in case someone can help point it out.

Papyrus.0.log

when shes a follower try disabling her and see if your fps returns to normal. (use console, select her and type disable)

if it does there a few things that might be the cause.

id start with checking the skeleton of Zora, see if shes using a custom skel and if she is replace it with the same one you're using.

try equipping different armors (vanilla or custom or HDT enabled) on her see if it helps.

At first I thought it was ATF which it isn't maintained anymore and it does have its issues with Interesting NPCs. So after some research I decided to change to EFF it has many positive reviews and patches that still work.

3dnpc npc don't use currentfollowerfaction, because of that your follower can turn hostile on them, and isn't dismiss

instead of trying and fail with eff, why not check the problem is the follower mod by trying without any?

and if that's it, and you a 3dnpc patch, that mean the patch doesn't work

and either bye bye the mod, either you make a patch that work yourself

At first I thought it was ATF which it isn't maintained anymore and it does have its issues with Interesting NPCs. So after some research I decided to change to EFF it has many positive reviews and patches that still work.

3dnpc npc don't use currentfollowerfaction, because of that your follower can turn hostile on them, and isn't dismiss

instead of trying and fail with eff, why not check the problem is the follower mod by trying without any?

and if that's it, and you a 3dnpc patch, that mean the patch doesn't work

and either bye bye the mod, either you make a patch that work yourself

Thanks for your reply yatol,

You do have a point. to test without a follower mod to see that could be the issue. If everything else fails I will give it a shot, but for me its a last result cause I never consider playing without a follower mod, considering that the vanilla follower system sucks.

when shes a follower try disabling her and see if your fps returns to normal. (use console, select her and type disable)

if it does there a few things that might be the cause.

id start with checking the skeleton of Zora, see if shes using a custom skel and if she is replace it with the same one you're using.

try equipping different armors (vanilla or custom or HDT enabled) on her see if it helps.

Thanks for your reply -alpha-

After u mentioned the skeleton, I verified and the original mod doesn't replace the skeleton or mashes; but I also downloaded a re-texture for that NPC in particular that does replace the skeleton, meshes and texture, I completely missed that. Which also reminds me that I didn't used to have this issue before, so I think u hit on the heart of he issue. Ill continue testing and update on my findings.

Edit,

After testing by disabling the follower I did notice some changed. So I Replaced the skeleton and meshes from the mod to the ones I'm using, I also decided to do t5his with all custom followers that I have just in case which is about 5 or 6. After I tested the game for a while on different areas and dungeons  and my FPS did stayed at a decent range. So again thanks for you input -alpha- I would have not consider doing that.

I did notice some odd things though, mainly with Sexlab and Dangerous Nights2. With Sexlab some animations would take 1 to 2 minutes to start which I hear it has to do with script lag; is there a way to correct this? and also with Dangerous Nights the mod would try to start but in cases it would not spawn an attacker and if it did the attacker wouldn't attack, which I think it also have to do with script lag or scripts failing to run. I'm not sure how to correct these ones so any advice would be very well received. Ill add my last Log in case it can help determine the root of the issue.

And thanks again guys.

Papyrus.0.log

Archived