packing a bsa with tesarchive?

I tried packing loose files from an oldrim mod into a BSA using the TESArchive tool from SSE but it didn't work.  It created the BSA but the game wouldn't load.  Can you do it that way if you pick the right options?  I think I just picked all options except XBox 360 Archive since I have no idea which ones I need.  I tried it on the oldrim Arissa mod, which is working fine for me in SE using loose files.  I just wanted to see if I could repack a mod and have it work (so far I can't).

This become more relevant today when another mod I downloaded fails to install in MO with loose files (I think because the pathnames are too long).  When I had this issue before, the mod installed fine after the mod author packed it into a BSA.  I can't get the CK to work.  It crashes on me every time.  TESArchive works but I don't know which options I need.

Doesn't the new Skyrim require BS2 archives or something. If I remember correctly the arcive is different from the old system so any BSA created wouldn't work unless you used the exact tool for the new Skyrim. Not sure if your mention of CK means the new Skyrim CK or the old Skyrim CK however the mention of BSA makes me think you are trying to pack your mod using the old package creator.

Could be wrong.. havent tried to pack mods for the new Skyrim yet.(or fallout 4 for that matter)

Well it's in my Skyrim Special Edition/tools directory so I assumed the CK put it there when I installed it.  Maybe it would be better to just go back through the CK instructions and figure out why mine keeps crashing and then use that instead.

I was testing it on the oldrim Arissa companion mod which I unpacked the bsa for.  I'm currently using that in SE without issue just using the loose files so I know it works in SE.  I tried using nif optimizer to convert the meshes but apparently I don't know what I'm doing with that either because the game won't load if I use the converted meshes.  I wasn't sure which options to pick.  I suspect I probably included some meshes that I shouldn't have with the head only option picked or vice versa.

I've been meaning to learn the CK eventually anyway since I can't resolve navmesh conflicts in SSEEDIT.  I guess if I get to that point I might actually be able to try building my own mods rather than just tweaking existing ones and making custom patches in SSEEDIT.

There was a tutorial I believe from a modder "authormoor" which made quite a few mods for Skyrim on how to convert mods from the old Skyrim to the new one. Pack them and yes..  even convert the textures and such for the new package manager. I can't find the page currently. In any case likely you just missed a step or part for your conversion.

Of course that shit site is giving 500 errors each page I am trying to load. :@

Finally I got the proper spelling of his name so I could use google to find the dam site...

https://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/4633-skyrim-se-things-to-know-when-converting-standard-mods-to-sse/

https://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/4665-how-to-pack-skyrim-se-mods/

Archived