Latency in Game during passing on Borders...

nehaberlan

Hi,

I have a question for you...

For a long time, I have latency problem in the game that I couldn't solve. Because I could find any solution for it, I abandoned working on it.

I play Skyrim Legendary Edition.

My hardware and OS has:

Operating System
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
    AMD FX-8300    23 °C
    Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
    MSI 970A-G43 (MS-7693) (CPU 1)    43 °C
Graphics
    LG IPS FULLHD (1920x1080@60Hz)
    4096MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 380 Series (MSI)    40 °C
Storage
    238GB TS256GSSD370S ATA Device (SSD)    26 °C
    931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 ATA Device (SATA)    26 °C

However I start a clean, fresh game, without additional mods except the main updates, I have this latency.

I've already cleaned the updates in the TES5Edit. It didn't help.

Few people tried to help me in the old topic that has similar topic.

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/70905-freezing-during-game-play/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1850406

Today, I looked "where exactly this latency occurs".

Then, I checked one of the areas in the Creation Kit, in the Navmesh mode.

As I know ('til now at least...), in Skyrim's outside is separated by small locations, and each location has borders.

I started a new game with "Live Another Life" mod, as the owner of Luxury Suite.

In the below you can see where I am in the game, and there it is in the Creation Kit, in the NavMesh mode.

I'm not sure, it's just a theory... The latency occurs at the same place where the border is.

My questions are:

1. My latency problem is based on those borders?

2. If it is, how can solve it?

3. If it's not, what can it be?

4. If it's not, how can I solve it?

Can a location's border cause latency?

post-779020-0-49017900-1490077594_thumb.jpg

Here is the place where the latency (freezing) occurs:

post-779020-0-40402200-1490077762_thumb.jpg

Can a location's border cause latency?

post-779020-0-92887900-1490077859_thumb.jpg

If you can help me anyway, or have any idea, I'll appreciate...

When you say boarders you are refering to edges of the terrain? In one of the screen shots it appears you have the far plane cranked to max.

I use to have issues and still do to some extent but not near as bad since I upped my RAM to 12 GB. Most of the problems were due to background stuff (I ended up shutting down all the background apps)  and drive access since most game engines swap models in and out of the render buffer as you move. Setting the upper limits of your view distance or far plane can cause a lot of models to be accessed so your drive is trying to catch up with the engine.

Using a RAM drive or SSD with fast access time with help if the bus access on the motherboard is fast enough or setting the view distance lower so not as much stuff is being accessed can help too. Other than that I would say maybe the mother board has issues?

When you say boarders you are refering to edges of the terrain? In one of the screen shots it appears you have the far plane cranked to max.

I use to have issues and still do to some extent but not near as bad since I upped my RAM to 12 GB. Most of the problems were due to background stuff (I ended up shutting down all the background apps)  and drive access since most game engines swap models in and out of the render buffer as you move. Setting the upper limits of your view distance or far plane can cause a lot of models to be accessed so your drive is trying to catch up with the engine.

Using a RAM drive or SSD with fast access time with help if the bus access on the motherboard is fast enough or setting the view distance lower so not as much stuff is being accessed can help too. Other than that I would say maybe the mother board has issues?

Thank you for answering...

I don't know the technical words. So, I suppose the correct word for it is the edge of the terrain.

I got a reply from my friend:

Yes, there can be latency at cell borders and there can also be CTDs at cell borders.

When you cross a border the game must load the meshes and textures data for that cell, and dump some of the data from the previous cells. The latency occurs at the moment the game is dumping and loading cell data. Sometimes if there is too much data to dump and load the game will CTD.

High resolution textures can make the latency / CTDs worse.

From what I understand it's a problem with Skyrim and there is no way to really fix it, although you can minimize the problem by minimizing the high res textures that you have installed.

Do you have any other suggestion?

Cheers...

I don't know the technical words. So, I suppose the correct word for it is the edge of the terrain.

Yes, there can be latency at cell borders and there can also be CTDs at cell borders.

When you cross a border the game must load the meshes and textures data for that cell, and dump some of the data from the previous cells. The latency occurs at the moment the game is dumping and loading cell data. Sometimes if there is too much data to dump and load the game will CTD.

From what I understand it's a problem with Skyrim and there is no way to really fix it, although you can minimize the problem by minimizing the high res textures that you have installed.

Cheers...

Pretty much what i said. Also, if you have a lot of cloaking spells and set to large radius, this will cause sever lag and sometimes CDT.

Cheers...

Pretty much what i said. Also, if you have a lot of cloaking spells and set to large radius, this will cause sever lag and sometimes CDT.

Thank you...

Hi,

I have a question for you...

For a long time, I have latency problem in the game that I couldn't solve. Because I could find any solution for it, I abandoned working on it.

I play Skyrim Legendary Edition.

My questions are:

1. My latency problem is based on those borders?

2. If it is, how can solve it?

3. If it's not, what can it be?

4. If it's not, how can I solve it?

Two questions for you: does it happen always or only sometimes? Only in this cell or all of them or at random?

For your questions:

1. yes, as explained.

2. I'm terrible bad at recognizing graphical enhancements, but your screenshot doesn't look that much changed from vanilla, so i'd assume it's not at least possible to make some improvements. First, make sure you use ENBoost (not an ENB, for now) and your settings there are correct (depends on hardware/OS/other settings like in crash fixes, read about it).

Besides high textures, NPCs cause stress to your system because everybody has meshes, textures and scripts attached that have to be loaded. If you use any mods which add NPCs, maybe use less or reduce the number of NPCs or something. And use the SKSE memory patch of course.

If it's only this cell: *Edit: confused the area I know the luxury underground bathsuite is in that area (not in the same cell, but still my best guess), not sure about any other mods. You could also check in TES5edit or CK maybe if there is something strange or a mod conflict, but i don't know those tools good enough to give any advice how to do that. Is there any specific mod that edits this cell?

Did you clean your files with TES5edit? It's been so long ago that i did that, can't say anymore if that was a difference, more a random guess, but imho a good advice in general.

It happens to me sometimes too, most times if i'm just sprinting through several cells, especially since i improved my speed a bit via console. Usually in areas with a lot of trees & stuff like the Rift or around Morthal. I'm ok with that but if it's too annoying to you and you want to avoid it at all costs, reducing the (running/sprinting)speed would probably work.

If you want an immersive way to do that, you could use FillHerUp/Pearl Juice or SGO/Beeing female or boots from devious devices or RND, that are at least the mods i know that they can slow you down. Be careful to use all of them, more than once my speed was reduced to zero.  ;)

A question for you: does it happen always or only sometimes?

For your questions:

1. yes, as explained.

2. I'm terrible bad at recognizing graphical enhancements, but your screenshot doesn't look that much changed from vanilla, so i'd assume it's not at least possible to make some improvements. First, make sure you use ENBoost (not an ENB, for now) and your settings there are correct (depends on hardware/other settings like in crash fixes, read about it).

Besides high textures, NPCs cause stress to your system because everybody has meshes, textures and scripts attached that have to be loaded. If you use any mods which add NPCs, maybe use less or reduce the number of NPCs or something. And use the SKSE memory patch of course.

It happens to me sometimes too, most times if i'm just sprinting through several cells, especially since i improved my speed a bit via console. Usually in areas with a lot of trees & stuff like the Rift or around Morthal. I'm ok with that but if it's too annoying to you and you want to avoid it at all costs, reducing the (running/sprinting)speed would probably work.

If you want an immersive way to do that, you could use FillHerUp/Pearl Juice or SGO/Beeing female or boots from devious devices or RND, that are at least the mods i know that they can slow you down. Be careful to use all of them, more than once my speed was reduced to zero. ;)

It happens always.

I enabled by using console command "TB" to be able to see the borders, then I became pretty sure that the latency occurs on the borders, no where else.

post-779020-0-64856200-1490298520_thumb.jpg

I tried another setting. In the main graphic settings, I kept it in Default, which was Ultra, but I only changed the "Distant Object Detail" to Medium.

If I make it High, there is a little latency, if I change to Ultra, the Latency is very noticeable.

post-779020-0-76749100-1490298669_thumb.jpg

I've tried before ENBoost, but I was unsuccessful about figuring it out. Then, my game ran slower, the graphics were really, really bad. Finally, I removed it.

I installed Crash Fixes, SKSE Memory Patch and I changed the suggested SKSE.ini settings already.

[Display]

iTintTextureResolution=2048

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

EnableDiagnostics=1

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

[Debug]

WriteMinidumps=1

My PC is hyperactive, I think... She always runs... :)

I have no idea about these mods FillHerUp, Pearl Juice, SGO, Beeing Female, Boots from Devious Devices, RND...

Maybe I want too much. When, I look around from the top of a hill, I would like to see a panoramic view.

Thanks for your suggestions...

Cheers...

It happens always.

I enabled by using console command "TB" to be able to see the borders, then I became pretty sure that the latency occurs on the borders, no where else.

attachicon.gif20170323163151_1.jpg

I tried another setting. In the main graphic settings, I kept it in Default, which was Ultra, but I only changed the "Distant Object Detail" to Medium.

If I make it High, there is a little latency, if I change to Ultra, the Latency is very noticeable.

attachicon.gifDistant Object Detail at Medium.jpg

I've tried before ENBoost, but I was unsuccessful about figuring it out. Then, my game ran slower, the graphics were really, really bad. Finally, I removed it.

I installed Crash Fixes, SKSE Memory Patch and I changed the suggested SKSE.ini settings already.

I have no idea about these mods FillHerUp, Pearl Juice, SGO, Beeing Female, Boots from Devious Devices, RND...

Maybe I want too much. When, I look around from the top of a hill, I would like to see a panoramic view.

Cheers...

Somehow i missed that answer although the quote, happens when i login and have more than 5 sometimes. ;)

There is a difference between an ENB (here i had the same problem like you) and ENBoost. ENBoost is a part of what you need when you want to use an ENB, but you don't need an ENB when you want ENBoost. 

In it's enblocal.ini you can make some settings like in crash fixes (and it has most things by default) which can make a BIG difference for performance. If it really does depends on your OS and hardware, if i remember right Win7 was a bit less bad than Win10 in this respect, but if you have a graphic card with 4GB memory and you want to make Skyrim actually using those 4 GB, i think ENBoost is your only option. Can't remember where the limit is without, it might even help if you have only 2GB VRAM.

Which settings you should use also depends on your system, hardware and settings in crash fixes, i can't give you any advice in general and i'm no expert in this. I was glad to find proper settings for my system after some hours reading. ;)

If you're sure you had only ENBoost and no ENB installed, i'd still give it another try... either in the forum there or here i'm pretty sure somebody can help you to find appropiate settings which will work for you, by default it shouldn't change graphics at all and only increase performance.

It happens always.

attachicon.gif20170323163151_1.jpg

attachicon.gifDistant Object Detail at Medium.jpg

Cheers...

Somehow i missed that answer although the quote, happens when i login and have more than 5 sometimes. ;)

There is a difference between an ENB (here i had the same problem like you) and ENBoost. ENBoost is a part of what you need when you want to use an ENB, but you don't need an ENB when you want ENBoost. 

In it's enblocal.ini you can make some settings like in crash fixes (and it has most things by default) which can make a BIG difference for performance. If it really does depends on your OS and hardware, if i remember right Win7 was a bit less bad than Win10 in this respect, but if you have a graphic card with 4GB memory and you want to make Skyrim actually using those 4 GB, i think ENBoost is your only option. Can't remember where the limit is without, it might even help if you have only 2GB VRAM.

Which settings you should use also depends on your system, hardware and settings in crash fixes, i can't give you any advice in general and i'm no expert in this. I was glad to find proper settings for my system after some hours reading. ;)

If you're sure you had only ENBoost and no ENB installed, i'd still give it another try... either in the forum there or here i'm pretty sure somebody can help you to find appropiate settings which will work for you, by default it shouldn't change graphics at all and only increase performance.

Nazgul,

When I want to use only ENBoost, it said "ENB is required". So, I installed ENB too.

This time, everything seems OK.

For better ENB Visual FX mod, my friend suggested me True Vision ENB. I'm gonna try that.

About getting slower in the game... I'm not sure that I want to be pregnant or live in a routine order in Skyrim. :)

My system has:

Operating System

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1

CPU

AMD FX-8300    26 °C

Vishera 32nm Technology

RAM

8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard

MSI 970A-G43 (MS-7693) (CPU 1)    46 °C

Graphics

LG IPS FULLHD (1920x1080@60Hz)

4096MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 380 Series (MSI)    43 °C

Storage

238GB TS256GSSD370S ATA Device (SSD)    28 °C

931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 ATA Device (SATA)    28 °C

Day by day, I'm gonna find better settings, I hope.

Thanks...

Nazgul,

When I want to use only ENBoost, it said "ENB is required". So, I installed ENB too.

You're doing something wrong. There are tutorials how to install ENboost without ENBseries. ENBseries, if done properly, will enhance your graphics, but i doubt it will increase your performance.

In STEP's site http://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost

it says "download ENB binary".

In Reddit site https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/21skv4/how_to_install_enboost/

it says "Install ONLY the d3d9.dll, Enblocal.ini, Enbhost.exe".

So, it makes me confused.

Maybe, I couldn't find the correct tutorial.

I've already saw the performance increase after using ENBoost. I didn't like very much ENB 'til. But I don't want to be prejudicious.

Thanks...

Nazgul,

You're doing something wrong. There are tutorials how to install ENboost without ENBseries. ENBseries, if done properly, will enhance your graphics, but i doubt it will increase your performance.

In Reddit site https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/21skv4/how_to_install_enboost/

I've already saw the performance increase after using ENBoost. I didn't like very much ENB 'til. But I don't want to be prejudicious.

Thanks...

Suggestions from reddit sound reasonable, although for memory i just put in my VRAM, don't know if that's better or worse or anything, though.

At least that's how to install ENBoost. If there is anything else, it's part of ENB and you don't need it until you actually want to use an ENB.

Nazgul,

Thanks...

Suggestions from reddit sound reasonable, although for memory i just put in my VRAM, don't know if that's better or worse or anything, though.

At least that's how to install ENBoost. If there is anything else, it's part of ENB and you don't need it until you actually want to use an ENB.

Thanks for all of your suggestions...

:)

Archived