Weird Texture Bug

pokute

I've got a bug where some armor textures don't seem to load completely on start up.

post-123869-0-96499000-1489506508_thumb.jpg

The armor piece displays normally after I take it off and put it back on, but the problem returns every time Skyrim starts up. The same thing sometimes happens when I load a saved game, but only rarely.

These seem to mostly happen with some armors I've modded. All I've really done is recolor the texture with GIMP, and move the armors + textures to another directory for use with my personal armor mods.

Does anyone know what is causing this?

This seems to have something to do with RaceMenu, although I'm still trying to figure out exactly why RaceMenu is causing the texture loading to fail.

I've been replicating the steps I took to create the mods, but none of the steps seemed to cause any problems. On a whim, I tried removing the .tri morph files associated with the armor piece. Without the .tri files, the textures load normally when Skyrim starts. (though obviously the shape no longer fits and I still need them to)

After focusing my investigation on the .tri morphs, I realized that the problem armors were built using an old version of BodySlide (3.6).

Rebuilding the .nifs and .tri morphs using BodySlide 4.2.3 appears to have solved the problem for one of the armors. Will need to confirm later if this works on all of them.

I could imagine that it's a combination of graphic card limitations (and/or settings for Enb/Enboost and stuff), old bodyslide versions and maybe the way your mod manager handles those files created by bodyslide... if it keeps annoying and you can't find any improvements to your settings, you could try to find some textures with lower resolutions. Or save/load in areas where the game doesn't have to load too much, meaning small interiors with few/no NPCs.

Changing load order might help too, but you should be aware that, if this helps, this will probably also mean something else won't be loaded properly.

Nah, it exhibits the same problem in a debug install, and I have a high end system. It's probably caused by old BodySlide doing something outdated that the relatively new RaceMenu no longer fully supports. Even then, it's easily worked around by taking your armor off and on again.

But if you're anal like me, all of my problem armors were fixed simply by rebuilding them using BodySlide 4.2.3.

Archived