Does fallout run better than Oblivion on your PC?

Naynay

I get like 20-30 fps outside in oblivion, and like 40-50s inside, max settings 1024-768 resolution. But my game is heavily modded with reduced textures, mesh packs, and mods to play smoothly. Without these my fps is like 15-22 lol. I was wondering If I can play Oblivion then should I be able to play fallout 3 and new vegas too? Theyre both newer engines so should be a little more stable than oblivion right?

Actually Fallout 3 performs far better than Oblivion on my walmart e-machine (3 gigs ram, 1 titanobyte? mem) BUT I had to do all kinds of stuff to get it to play. Once I got it playing it ran great, graphic quality probably superior to Oblivion.

I still love Oblivion, tho it makes me want to scream, shriek, and pull my eyeballs out and stomp them with monotonous regularity.

Oh yeah, Fallout3 also crashes far less frequently than Oblivion.

These are my PC specs.

Time of this report: 7/3/2012, 19:22:38

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: P5KC

BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/25/08 18:03:13 Ver: 08.00.12

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz

Memory: 3072MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3072MB RAM

Page File: 2055MB used, 4084MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: GeForce 8400GS

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_10C3&SUBSYS_0877196E&REV_A2

Display Memory: 1746 MB

Dedicated Memory: 466 MB

Shared Memory: 1279 MB

Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: SyncMaster

Monitor Id: SAM02E1

Native Mode: 1440 x 900(p) (59.887Hz)

Output Type: HD15

I get like 20-30 fps outside in oblivion' date=' and like 40-50s inside, max settings 1024-768 resolution. But my game is heavily modded with reduced textures, mesh packs, and mods to play smoothly. Without these my fps is like 15-22 lol. I was wondering If I can play Oblivion then should I be able to play fallout 3 and new vegas too? Theyre both newer engines so should be a little more stable than oblivion right?

[/quote']

The answer is not going to be black and white on this as it will depend on what mods you have for each game.

With the specs you have provided Oblivion should run the best on your machine. Now if you are running a bunch of high rez skins (some of which are actually mid rez that some knucklehead just resized so that it is a resource hog with no improvement in looks) then things can quickly get out of hand.

Oblivion is a CPU driven game that won't use more than one core. With a 32 bit OS your ram will be locked at 2GB so you are kind of stuck.

As has been said FO3 and FNV requirements are higher so you are going to be on closer to the minimum requirements side and thus with mods installed you might have really crappy FPS.

As to stability. No. None of the three are more stable than the others. With the proper unofficial patches and some utilities/tools installed, then you should be able to run any of the three without crashing for 8 plus hours (if your eyes don't fall out of your head first that is....). You will still have an occasional random crash but that can happen with any game.

In case you don't know about this series. They helped me a lot especially the UI/performance ones. I knew about the fullscreen issues but was always lazy to do it until now. I was a fool lol.

[video=youtube]

Nice video especially that window mode trick, most games usually run quicker in full screen lol. I dont think my pc would handle new vegas though. Ima try out fallout 3 sometime and see how it plays on my pc.

Does fallout 3 even have good mods as oblivion? I don't see anything interesting in tesnexus top mod list besides that zombie apocolypse mod but that'll probably kill my pc lol.

Nice video especially that window mode trick' date=' most games usually run quicker in full screen lol. I dont think my pc would handle new vegas though. Ima try out fallout 3 sometime and see how it plays on my pc.

Does fallout 3 even have good mods as oblivion? I don't see anything interesting in tesnexus top mod list besides that zombie apocolypse mod but that'll probably kill my pc lol.

[/quote']

Fo3 also got that fake fullscreen mod: http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/mods/16001

So its worth a try.

To answer the thread title question. On my PC, it's usually Fallout 3 runs the best, then Oblivion, then Fallout New Vegas (although Skyrim runs better than all of them thanks to Skyboost). I usually have no problem with Fallout 3, or Oblivion with Streamline, but for some reason, even Vanilla New Vegas just HATES my computer ;p

As for the questions about running them on your rig...I think everyone else covered tips for it rather well :)

Guest Donkey

Actually fallout should run much smoother. But it is still not fool proof. Meaning that some bugs from previous versions also got inside the new engine from fallout 3 and new vegas.

If you open geck you would see what i mean, there are still some left over references from oblivion still present in geck even though it would do nothing now.

Also GameEmbryo is still not fully optimized. Witch could cause lot's of crashes in the long run.

Well that is Bethesda fix one thing break something else policies.

Fallout 3/NV/Skyrim use two cores. Oblivion uses one. Oblivion's recommended specs say it needs a single 3 ghz processor to run perfectly, and my experience on a 2.8 quad-core seems to confirm that. It runs pretty good, but I get slowdown in cities. Turning shadows off really helps speed it up. At least HD textures are a GPU thing, so I can run quarl's redimized with no FPS hit.

My 2.8 runs FO3/NV perfectly maxed with a few mods (no HD textures). Warzones NV is crash-happy and laggy on the default settings, though. For Skyrim, I keep shadows on high and it runs perfectly with Skyrim HD2k loaded. Warzones Skyrim runs perfectly with those settings.

I just tried out fallout 3 and it ran better than oblivion lol, theres really no good mods for fallout 3 though, already passed the game like 3 times so dont feel like re-passing it again. Will just play fallout new vegas instead. I did pirated skyrim on 1st day just to see if my pc can run it(already have game on both 360 and ps3) was able to get 17-23 fps on starting zone. 1024x768, no shadows. Now that theres card graphics updates, patches, mods, etc. Can probably go 25+ ;o but i wanna wait 1-2 years for more mods. lol

I always get crashes in Oblivion in about 10 to 20 minutes. FO:NV hardly crashes here, except when I load a saved game instead of quitting/re-running the game... but even then, it doesn't always crash.

NV here used to crash often long long ago... but I searched the web for a tutorial on editing the ini files(the ones in Documents\My Games\FalloutNV), and since then it runs smoothly.

Also, I keep a limited number of mods for FO:NV... I guess that also contributes to the stability. My Oblivion is modded like hell and has a crapload of leftover "non-OMOD" files.

Too many mods with dirty edits and failing to use proper load orders along with skipping using utilities like Wrye Bash's bashed patch and stuff like OSR and Streamline can be the kiss of death for Oblivion. Properly done however (even with an F'ton of mods) oblivion can be made to run as reliably as any other Bethesda product. :)

Archived