What is a Papyrus Log?

Brainstrain2424

I'm not really computer savvy in any way. I'm having a problem with a certain mod, but I realize that to get help for it, I need a papyrus log. Okay...

The only problem with that is that I have no idea what the hell a papyrus log is.

Can anyone please explain(in detail, if at all possible, because otherwise I might nor understand) what a papyrus log is, and how to use it, I guess? I'd really appreciate it.

Papyrus is the script engine that skyrim uses so when you have npcs doing complicated things that is achieved via scripting

To enable papyrus logging you need to go to your skyrim.ini and add

bEnableLogging=1
bEnableTrace=1
bLoadDebugInformation=1

under the [Papyrus] section

Assuming you installed everything into the default location the skyrim.ini file is located in \Documents\my games\skyrim

The log itself once logging has been enabled in skyrim.ini will be present in \Documents\my games\skyrim\Logs\Script and will be in text file format which you can then zip/winrar and give to a mod author

Having logging enabled does have a performance impact however (as it has to wait for stuff to be written to you hard disk which is slower) so it is not recommended to leave it enabled all the time

Finally I found someone that actually tells me what one does FOR the logs, not just 'you need a log and if you ask about how you do that yer an idiot' biggrin.png Cheers to you as well from me!

Well, the sticky thread with the all caps "READ THIS" in this part of the forum does tell you how to do that...

Finally I found someone that actually tells me what one does FOR the logs, not just 'you need a log and if you ask about how you do that yer an idiot' :D Cheers to you as well from me!

It's true. I don't know what it is when it comes to guys and computers but when asked a question you almost always get a technically correct but completely useless answer. Like the guy above me. He said something about a sticky note saying READ THIS so his answer is technically correct but completely useless because he provides no link, doesn't tell you at all where in the sticky note is the information, and he assumes that everyone knows how to browse forums like natural pros.

A proper answer that will alleviate headaches for both the person questioning and the person answering would be to just answer the question directly AND simply provide the source if the person questioning should want more information. But no, apparently the best answer from most guys is to just say: "the answer is somewhere else!"

Archived