Should I use NMM? Do YOU use NMM?

^Yup, should I? And should I get any other helpful program/tools for installing/managing mods?

Ah, I just remembered what else I was gonna ask.I reinstalled Skyrim today and getting back into the(lurking/leeching) scene so can you guys suggest essential mods I should get? Thanks! lololololololololol.

Some mods have advanced features you need NMM to use.

So yes use NMM, for those mods.

Having said that, for everything else I use Wrye Bash(Smash) to install and manage my mods. It helps you deal with conflicting mods SOOOO much. The newer versions have less of a learning curve than they used to imo since the program should be stand alone now.

Here is a resource page for Wyre Smash, for documentation and stuff. Link

Here is the DL Link at Nexus. It says it is for oblivion but it still works for Skyrim, just put it in the skyrim directory and not oblivion.

Good luck!

Thanks! I'm downloading Wrye Bash right now as it sounds so useful. But I'm holding off on getting NMM for now as I think they both manage mods so I don't know if they'll conflict with each other or not.

Update: I installer recommend that I not install Wrye Bash into Program Files(Where my Skyrim folder is at) So I move it to C\Games\Skyrim but then when I try to start skyrim from that location it won't start up. Moved it back to where it was and now It works. Is it okay if I install Wrye Bash into Program Files\Skyrim, even though the installer HIGHLY reccommend that I don't?

They do the same thing, correct.

Saying that both have tools to allow you to pick and choose options in a mod, but most people write their code for the NMM version. What this does is Wyre Smash doesn't have the ability to recognize these options, it posts them in the wrong location. It will give you a warning about a possible missing script though, since well it is missing a script hehe.

Having said that, not many mods use these option so you might have only one mod like this or possible none. Obviously NMM is wasted if you have none...

I think the one mod I need NMM for is a male body replacer. Other than that I use Wyre Smash.

I am pretty sure there is only one wyre Bash, both files are version 298.

I installed it in the skyrim base directory itself, that makes the location that you move files to load into Wyre Smash is just outside the skyrim folder, called Skyrim Mods/Bash Installers

I am pretty sure there is only one wyre Bash' date=' both files are version 298.

I installed it in the skyrim base directory itself, that makes the location that you move files to load into Wyre Smash is just outside the skyrim folder, called Skyrim Mods/Bash Installers

[/quote']

C:\Program Files (x86)\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim

Is where my Skyrim folder is located. When I tried to install Bash that's where its default install location is as well. But when I click next it advised me against doing this and told me to uninstall Skyrim into another directory like the C drive. It said something about UAC and that if Bash is installed in Program Files it might not have permission to access its own file or whatever.

Where do you have your Skyrim folder and where did you install Bash to?

Guest Vendayn

I have Skyrim (and my whole Steam folder)

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim

A lot of mods for not just Skyrim...but games like Total War or a lot of games with mods, don't install properly or work right in Program Files x86 (or any windows made folder in c drive). So, I moved my whole Steam directory into a custom folder in C drive. Since it is a custom folder in the main c drive directory, it isn't effected (affected?) by UAC. And personally, I only have one hard drive anyway, so I can't put in E or D drive or whatever. Everything works fine in the custom C drive folder...so...

And ah, okay. I thought maybe something was different about them. For some reason, everyone always links the Oblivion one and not the one uploaded on Skyrim nexus. Maybe it is less known or something.

Guest Vendayn

Why have I spent all of this time, never using Wrye Bash to install mods? Why did I not use it in Oblivion? Why did I ignore the advice to use it, and do it my way (the hard way)?

Never again will I mess with installing/uninstalling skyrim mods the hard way. I already used it to create a bashed patch...but wow...makes installing mods and finding conflicts and stuff, way easier.

*face palm*

Ah well...at least I'm now using it more than just to create a bashed patch :P

Why have I spent all of this time' date=' never using Wrye Bash to install mods? Why did I not use it in Oblivion? Why did I ignore the advice to use it, and do it my way (the hard way)?

Never again will I mess with installing/uninstalling skyrim mods the hard way. I already used it to create a bashed patch...but wow...makes installing mods and finding conflicts and stuff, way easier.

*face palm*

Ah well...at least I'm now using it more than just to create a bashed patch :P

[/quote']

=)

You need NMM for a male body replacer? I don't have NMM at all and I have the favoredsoulmeshes installed with Wrye Smash just fine. I hope I never need NMM. Logging into a site to manage my mods just seems like a problem waiting to happen.

On Program Files installations, my steam folder was there for a while, because New Vegas was one of the first games I installed on my current Win7 system when it was new last year. I had no idea UAC would give me so much trouble because I was migrating from XP. First I turned off UAC so I could use the GECK without being harassed. Then Skyrim came and I moved the steam folder to C:\Games. I still haven't turned UAC back on. It's such a pain.

How on earth do you show the current conflicts? Do you have to reinstall everything through Wrye Bash?

Yes, Wrye bash only knows what it installs, so everything should be installed through it, and only use NMM if you have to, such as complex mods like The Dance of Death.

• 2 weeks later...

NMM never really worked for me. I seemed to always get errors. The fact that it conflicts with Wrye doesn't help.

Conflicts?

Huh?

They sort of do the same thing and they can't track what the other program does but they don't conflict.

Using one doesn't break the other.

Sounds like you need to reinstall NMM from scratch personally.

NMM never really worked for me. I seemed to always get errors. The fact that it conflicts with Wrye doesn't help.

Conflicts?

Huh?

They sort of do the same thing and they can't track what the other program does but they don't conflict.

Using one doesn't break the other.

Sounds like you need to reinstall NMM from scratch personally.

Really? I always got error messages. I'll try reinstalling them like you said.

• 3 weeks later...

There is Wrye Bash for Skyrim' date=' too.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/1840

Unless both versions are different.

[/quote']

Does this version for skyrim automatically re-order my mods as soon as you start it up?

The one for Oblivion did that and I HATED it.

I don't want to take a chance with this one for skyrim if it does that since NMM doesn't save load order (yet). I will have to take a screenshot of my current working load order just in case this version of Wrye Bash decides to BASH my frickin load order to pieces...

=/