[sims3] Reduce lag with fixed worlds (by Ellacharmed)

So The Sims 3 is known for its issues with routing, stucked NPCs, long loadings, choppy Create-A-Sim feature etc. One of the most prominent forms of addresing those issues is a mod called Overwatch, made by glorious NRaas Industries. Unfortunately it's impossible for it to solve everything. It just does what it can with making this crappy-written game more or less playable.

However, if you're a long time Sims 3 player like myself, you surely noticed that some in-game neighbourhoods (worlds) play worse than the other, especially on lower-specs PCs like mine. It's mainly due to a size and detail of a particural neighbourhood, but also a crappy routing made by EA itself. This routing causes all characters in game to take bizzare paths while trying to get somewhere, thus creating a lot of stress on a PC, resulting in tremendous lag and stucked sims. One of the infamous examples is nearly unplayable Bridgeport.

Luckily for us, there are a lot of skilled people who couldn't stand this kind of issues and made some modifications.

Ellacharmed is one of them and her work on making Sims 3 a better game cannot be overrated. This modder took nearly every world in game and fixed them. Changes are unnoticable visually, but remove a lot of lagging.

If you wanna test it, I've put all of Ellacharmed worlds into single package for your convinience:

https://mega.nz/#!xopT0KjC!kmhXERF2qG6ovHvR1rEBi6MnH7shoQZSclfNbLTC-LI

Installing them is easy.

Every world should be put into:

X:\...\<expansion folder>\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds

...where X:\...\<expansion folder> is a path for a specific expansion or a base game. In my package you would find folder named "World Adventures", "Late Night" etc. and after unzipping you should move its content to its coresponding expansion.

So, for example, Pets worlds are going to X:\...\The Sims 3 Pets\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds and University worlds are going to X:\...\The Sims 3 University\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds.

Sorry that I didn't do it for yourself, easening the installation process even more, but I'm aware that each language version of The Sims 3 has its own naming.

Unfortunately those fixes don't work retroactively, so it means you need to create a new household or move an existing one. I strongly reccomend using NRaas Traveler for the latter.

All worlds were downloaded from either Ellacharmed page on Modthesims.info or from his or her Wordpress blog.

Consider a donation to Ellacharmed if you like.

Edited by wapitawg

Thanks for sharing. Super interesting.

Props to Ellacharmed.

I will try this out myself before asking the question whether i need to delete the original cities... :D

Well, in the default case original cities would be replaced with Ellacharmed's ones. You can backup the EA worlds on your own like I did previously, but fixed worlds didn't cause me any problems whatsoever so I deleted my backup after some time (it's about a 1 GB after all).

You can also simply rename the .world files if you like, creating multiple instances of one neighbourhood for excessive testing (or moving your household members to different-yet-the-same-city without much of a hassle). Or you can put China, France and University worlds to base game folder and enjoy moving to them permanently (however Nraas Traveler allows it by default).

I can put all worlds into separate downloads if someone demands it. I didn't expect worlds to weight this much.

Thanks for sharing. Super interesting.

Props to Ellacharmed.

I will try this out myself before asking the question whether i need to delete the original cities... :D

Well, in the default case original cities would be replaced with Ellacharmed's ones. You can backup the EA worlds on your own like I did previously, but fixed worlds didn't cause me any problems whatsoever so I deleted my backup after some time (it's about a 1 GB after all).

You can also simply rename the .world files if you like, creating multiple instances of one neighbourhood for excessive testing (or moving your household members to different-yet-the-same-city without much of a hassle). Or you can put China, France and University worlds to base game folder and enjoy moving to them permanently (however Nraas Traveler allows it by default).

I can put all worlds into separate downloads if someone demands it. I didn't expect worlds to weight this much.

Okay ! Thanks a lot. I'll be on it right now.

Yes i could rename them ofcourse.

And adding France etc to the base game is a brilliant idea :)

Super cool. Bridgeport without stuttering and freezes would be awesome.

Thanks a gazillion.

Chris

PS: Isla Paradiso was my fav world ever. So happy to see it's there. I will give it a big test run.

Alrighty.

Because i'm a noob with folders outside Mods etc., it took me a while to set these worlds up for my expansions.

My expansion folders were empty, there are no GameData folders (!). Perhaps they have changed all that over the years.

I was a late Simmer.

I'm also on Origin, perhaps that has to do with it too, idk.

Long story short, to help my fellow noobs :

I did find the World Folders here: C: (or in my case, D:) Program Files (x86) -> Origin Games -> The Sims 3 -> EP 01 (! example, World Adventures) -> GameData -> Shared -> NonPackaged -> Worlds ...

I Cut my original France, China & Egypt out. Put them in a backup folder in case anything should go bad.
I copied the Fixed France, China & Egypt from Wapitawgs Fixed Worlds Folder and pasted them back in the EP1 -> Worlds map.

C'est ca.

The other Expansions work just the same, but look under EP2 etc etc.

And it works. Even tested it by sending a Sim to Uni. Works.

I'm gonna give these a big testrun.

If it causes less lag/stress, ima donate some big $ to Ellacharm, for improving life.

Thanks Wapitawg.

Long story short, to help my fellow noobs :

I did find the World Folders here: C: (or in my case, D:) Program Files (x86) -> Origin Games -> The Sims 3 -> EP 01 (! example, World Adventures) -> GameData -> Shared -> NonPackaged -> Worlds ...

Thank you for this guide, I think it's caused by an Origin version of the game.

so another tack .. I downloaded yesterday kinky world and animations. I entered the name of the animation to the "packages", but still the animation pops up the message "no animations has been found", why? I can also duo and group sex...

Please ask in KinkyWorld's thread.

NICE-thanks a lot

Yesterday I found somthing nice http://simscommunity.info/social/threads/routing-failures-overcrowding-doors-try-this.3391/

the memory adjustment works like a Nitroboost--

seems I should explain the nitro-thing

I play on epic lifetime, have normaly lots of dtuf in the inventory and many sims in the friends list. That plus a location with a complicatet design like egipt with many explored dungeons and my game is stuttering-- plus no more white furniture waiting for the texture-so yes i feel the 6G are helpfull---

another phenomenon: One day my sim didn´t respond to the kinky orders, after deleting the masses of logfiles from the folder in documents my problem was solved.

NICE-thanks a lot

Yesterday I found somthing nice http://simscommunity.info/social/threads/routing-failures-overcrowding-doors-try-this.3391/

the memory adjustment works like a Nitroboost

The routing tweaks to the ini work great, and Sims 4 acts a similar way, but the memory tweak does nothing, because Sims 3 already uses up to 3.4gb of memory (max 32bit limit) without modification, and  has done for a long while.

So after some testing I've found that some of the fixed worlds require other treatment.

Examples are Monte Vista and Hidden Springs worlds. They were available through Sims 3 Store and their fixed versions are available in my package under "base game" directory, but putting them there causes some bugs. Fortunately I was able to resolve them. Here's how:

1. Download original version of a world in a form of .sims3pack file and install it via Sims 3 launcher.

2. Put the fixed .world file into

C:\Users\{your username}\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\InstalledWorlds

This actually works retroactively.

I will update the first post soon.

NICE-thanks a lot

The routing tweaks to the ini work great, and Sims 4 acts a similar way, but the memory tweak does nothing, because Sims 3 already uses up to 3.4gb of memory (max 32bit limit) without modification, and  has done for a long while.

The man's reporting a nitroboost. Are you suggesting that he's using an outdated version of the game?

So after some testing I've found that some of the fixed worlds require other treatment.

Examples are Monte Vista and Hidden Springs worlds. They were available through Sims 3 Store and their fixed versions are available in my package under "base game" directory, but putting them there causes some bugs. Fortunately I was able to resolve them. Here's how:

1. Download original version of a world in a form of .sims3pack file and install it via Sims 3 launcher.

2. Put the fixed .world file into

C:\Users\{your username}\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\InstalledWorlds

This actually works retroactively.

I will update the first post soon.

NICE-thanks a lot

The man's reporting a nitroboost. Are you suggesting that he's using an outdated version of the game?

A performance increase comes from routing fixes, but the other setting does nothing. Try it and test it. You will see no difference in memory consumption. This is why you wont see MemoryUsageLimit = setting listed on a site like NRaas, because only legitimate tweaks are posted, not placebos.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ahyes, i should do at least a very short review on this.

Strictly using these worlds now.

After an hour spend in Paradise Island i quickly gave up again. I still get nasty freezes.
Bummer, i just love how it looks, and the diving and boating is just awesome.

The other worlds are working brilliant.
No complaints.
Bridgeport & especially Starlight Shores (lots of trouble for me with the original Shores) big way improved.

Jim says 'Yes !' to Ellacharmed Fixed Worlds.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have been testing out these new worlds, and so far I have found a problem with only 1 world and that is China. Apparantly whoever it was that edited this world managed to mess up one of the temples so you cannot go up the stairs to the stone boulder and dive well (Hot Springs). For some reason the floor has been lowered and their is a gap between the floor and the stairs. Makes it impossible to climb. It is fixable as long as you use the "testingcheatsenabled true / buydebug / enablelotlocking true" cheats. Just delete the floor tiles under the stairs, delete the staircase, raise the floor and add a new set of steps and that should work just fine. I managed to fix mine ok, but the steps are not as big (literally just 1 step) but it was better than nothing.

Edit: Oh dear, it gets worse. It seems the whole area was raised. There are buildings buried, stairs that can no longer reach the floor, sunbeds that are barely visible in the ground, and the cross pool area is looking so warped that the ladder to get out is actually halfway underwater instead of on the edge of the pool.

• 3 months later...

Well, I have been testing out these new worlds, and so far I have found a problem with only 1 world and that is China. Apparantly whoever it was that edited this world managed to mess up one of the temples so you cannot go up the stairs to the stone boulder and dive well (Hot Springs). For some reason the floor has been lowered and their is a gap between the floor and the stairs. Makes it impossible to climb. It is fixable as long as you use the "testingcheatsenabled true / buydebug / enablelotlocking true" cheats. Just delete the floor tiles under the stairs, delete the staircase, raise the floor and add a new set of steps and that should work just fine. I managed to fix mine ok, but the steps are not as big (literally just 1 step) but it was better than nothing.

Edit: Oh dear, it gets worse. It seems the whole area was raised. There are buildings buried, stairs that can no longer reach the floor, sunbeds that are barely visible in the ground, and the cross pool area is looking so warped that the ladder to get out is actually halfway underwater instead of on the edge of the pool.

Well I didn’t test fixed China world but I will do it eventually. Can someone confirm that its really broken?

I haven’t done it myself but for the people who are having problems with Ellacharmed’s China world this topic could be interesting (as it proposes a number of fixes):

http://forums.thesims.com/en_Us/discussion/867444/ellacharmeds-wa-world-replacements-problem
The easiest one is just not using Ella’s China world. It’s not as glitchy as Isla Paradiso (which is unplayable in its vanilla version) after all.

NICE-thanks a lot

Actually The Sims 3 will use up to 3.7gb of memory which is the danger line before Error 12's and CTD's at 3.85gb 

The 32 bit limit is actually 4gb

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this post, i found his store worlds fixes on his site, is it safe to say if a world is not seen then its not broke? like Roaring Heights and Midnight Hollow? those are my 2 favorite worlds that i'm not seeing any fixes for, so i'm hoping nothing needed on them.

Thanks for this post, i found his store worlds fixes on his site, is it safe to say if a world is not seen then its not broke? like Roaring Heights and Midnight Hollow? those are my 2 favorite worlds that i'm not seeing any fixes for, so i'm hoping nothing needed on them.

Lucky Palms and Dragon Valley have some decent routing, although Midnight Hollow and Roaring Heights most of the routing problems are just lot related and easy to DIY.

And it's not like the worlds are broke just some funky routing in some spots that needed to be ironed out.

The only world that is truly broken routing wise at least for most people as some have no problems with the world is Isla Paradiso even I couldn't fix that one.

And the worlds with routing fixes should only be used if you actually have routing problems with those worlds as I tried Hidden Springs' routing fixes and that actually made it worse for me whereas the default unchanged world was just fine at least for me while others may have different results.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, Ellacharmed quitted before fixing all worlds that needed fixing, so this is only partially true. But as it was stated before – nothing is as broken as Birdgeport and Isla Paradiso (which lags for some people even after putting Ella’s fixed version in – I cannot confirm it tho since I’m using pretty outdated PC at the moment and my problems with TS3 performance can result from that).

Well, Ellacharmed quitted before fixing all worlds that needed fixing, so this is only partially true. But as it was stated before – nothing is as broken as Birdgeport and Isla Paradiso (which lags for some people even after putting Ella’s fixed version in – I cannot confirm it tho since I’m using pretty outdated PC at the moment and my problems with TS3 performance can result from that).

I tried Ellacharmed's Isla Paradiso a couple of months ago and very quickly the game started to lag and freeze again.

You will still need to delete a couple of boathouses to make it run a little better.

But than still, it will lag on my above average PC.

Bummer, because it's a beautiful world.

I think it's just too big and detailed, even for above average PCs.

I can recommend Legacy Island III, a self-build world by Rflong. Google it.

It is meant to be played with all packs. That one is pretty good for me.

It has diving lots and all. It has everything interesting all in 1 world.

Ellacharmed's Bridgeport runs very smooth for me.

I'm only using her worlds these days, and Legacy Island III