Creation Kit Script Compile Failures

Allannaa

There are already a couple of threads about this, both of which recommend deleting the Scripts folder, re-validating Skyrim, unpacking scripts as necessary, re-installing SKSE, (and anything else that used scripts or packed them separately from the BSA).

I've followed those instructions repeatedly and still have no luck getting the CK to compile scripts -- including its own scripts, as well as scripts which have compiled in the past.

For instance, I use a script for "Harvest stuff from a dish."  I've used it repeatedly, it always compiled in the past, and the item always worked.

Lately, however, neither that script nor any other will compile, including Skyrim's own "MineOre" script.  I get -- I kid you not -- up to 200 lines of "unable to make anything work because things suck" messages, most of which state that the CK can't find files that I'm staring at in the Scripts and Scripts > Source folders, so I know darned well they're right there.

I went so far as to delete the CK and reacquire it from Steam -- no easy task on rural internet! -- and although the CK itself works just fine, it still refuses to compile.

The scripts DO work in-game.  I tested them two ways -- first by COC'ing to "AllaTestCell" where I'd put a Bowl of Apples and an Iron Ore vein complete with pickaxe lying near.  I could mine the ore (though not get the "resource count" I'd changed, for some reason) and I could take my 3 apples from the bowl just fine.

I ran a second test by letting the game start normally (I walked the dog while I waited for Alduin to destroy Helgen; we can all do the cart ride sequence in our sleep now, can't we?) and once I was out of Helgen, I headed for Riverwood, where I'd put a Bowl of Apples on that table behind Gerdur's mill where you sit while she and her brother yap about the war and the black dragon.  Again, the apple bowl worked fine.  I crossed the river to the iron ore vein that's nearby, and mining works just fine, but again, I didn't get the resource count I'd changed.

All other scripts seem to work fine too, including those associated with SOS, and with DCO, Hypothermia, and iNeed.

So again -- the scripts WORK but they won't COMPILE.

Any thoughts?  Clues?  Ideas?

(Here's the script, just in case anyone's interested; as I said, I know it compiles and works)

Scriptname AllaApplesScript extends ObjectReference  

Int Property ResourceCount  3  

Int Property ResourceCountCurrent  -1  

Int Property ResourceCountTotal  999  

Message Property EmptyMessage  Auto  

ObjectReference Property objSelf  Auto  

Potion Property ApplesfromBowl  Auto  

Event onActivate(objectReference akActivator)
;player is accessing the dish
	If ResourceCountCurrent == 0
		EmptyMessage.Show()
	EndIf

If ResourceCountCurrent == -1
		(game.getPlayer()).addItem(ApplesFromBowl, ResourceCount)
	EndIf

EndEvent

Now, if a script does NOT compile, then it will NOT work.

Probably you are running a previous version of it, that is compiled.

Please post the compilation errors, maybe there is some info inside that let me understand why they are not compiling.

• 2 weeks later...

Spoilered for brevity.

There are already a couple of threads about this, both of which recommend deleting the Scripts folder, re-validating Skyrim, unpacking scripts as necessary, re-installing SKSE, (and anything else that used scripts or packed them separately from the BSA).

I've followed those instructions repeatedly and still have no luck getting the CK to compile scripts -- including its own scripts, as well as scripts which have compiled in the past.

For instance, I use a script for "Harvest stuff from a dish."  I've used it repeatedly, it always compiled in the past, and the item always worked.

Lately, however, neither that script nor any other will compile, including Skyrim's own "MineOre" script.  I get -- I kid you not -- up to 200 lines of "unable to make anything work because things suck" messages, most of which state that the CK can't find files that I'm staring at in the Scripts and Scripts > Source folders, so I know darned well they're right there.

I went so far as to delete the CK and reacquire it from Steam -- no easy task on rural internet! -- and although the CK itself works just fine, it still refuses to compile.

The scripts DO work in-game.  I tested them two ways -- first by COC'ing to "AllaTestCell" where I'd put a Bowl of Apples and an Iron Ore vein complete with pickaxe lying near.  I could mine the ore (though not get the "resource count" I'd changed, for some reason) and I could take my 3 apples from the bowl just fine.

I ran a second test by letting the game start normally (I walked the dog while I waited for Alduin to destroy Helgen; we can all do the cart ride sequence in our sleep now, can't we?) and once I was out of Helgen, I headed for Riverwood, where I'd put a Bowl of Apples on that table behind Gerdur's mill where you sit while she and her brother yap about the war and the black dragon.  Again, the apple bowl worked fine.  I crossed the river to the iron ore vein that's nearby, and mining works just fine, but again, I didn't get the resource count I'd changed.

All other scripts seem to work fine too, including those associated with SOS, and with DCO, Hypothermia, and iNeed.

So again -- the scripts WORK but they won't COMPILE.

Any thoughts?  Clues?  Ideas?

(Here's the script, just in case anyone's interested; as I said, I know it compiles and works)

Scriptname AllaApplesScript extends ObjectReference  

Int Property ResourceCount  3  

Int Property ResourceCountCurrent  -1  

Int Property ResourceCountTotal  999  

Message Property EmptyMessage  Auto  

ObjectReference Property objSelf  Auto  

Potion Property ApplesfromBowl  Auto  

Event onActivate(objectReference akActivator)
;player is accessing the dish
	If ResourceCountCurrent == 0
		EmptyMessage.Show()
	EndIf

If ResourceCountCurrent == -1
		(game.getPlayer()).addItem(ApplesFromBowl, ResourceCount)
	EndIf

EndEvent

I had the exact same issues that you had. Until I ran across this post from Tannin (MO creator). I followed his suggestions and hey presto, it all works like a charm.

The only caveat is that you have to change the paths in the commands to reflect where you have those files stored on your pc.

Hope this helps :)

Archived