Beating the dead horse again(performance question)

So, I bit the bullet and bought another 1080 and now have SLI 1080's (I blame Best Buy for this : p). Now I thought this would have increased fps in Fallout but I really haven't noticed a big jump and when I go downtown I still suffer fps drops and I am using shadow boost. I'm playing in 2k and everything on ultra with little to none texture replacers. Anyone have any idea why or input on what might help?

Thanks for reading, if anything I'm just venting.

The general consensus is Fallout 4 is CPU intensive, not GPU, so twin 1080's in SLI probably aren't making that much of an impact.

Is my cpu that weak then? its a 6700k overclocked to 4.6.

The general consensus is Fallout 4 is CPU intensive, not GPU, so twin 1080's in SLI probably aren't making that much of an impact.

It's not that your CPU is weak, I think it's just that fallout 4 is really taxing. Try running at high instead of ultra. See if you're still getting that 

It's probably less your CPU and more likely a game engine that's been in use for about 10 years. That being said, if your system's performance is that troubling, there's a ton of tweak guides out there that's only a Google away. Each system is different and what works on one may not work on another, but I'm sure you know this already. Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it unless you're slowing to the point of being unplayable. I've come across a lot of posts by folks with 1080's that are getting frame rate drops in Sanctuary and Diamond City in particular so you're definitely not alone.

My old potato is running the game in Ultra, 1920x1080 resolution, with twin 780's in SLI, and in 3 playthroughs, I've never reached a point where the game was unplayable. Sure, I've dropped to 30FPS on occasion but those have been very few and far between. Just try to find your system's sweet spot. There's no embarrassment in playing on high settings.

Lastly, if you're using an ENB, make sure your enblocal.ini file is optioned correctly. Every ENB preset i've ever looked at always has ForceVideoMemorySize set for False, which I believe is the default. This forces your system to use the pagefile extensively and that can cause a huge FPS hit. Setting that option to TRUE and then calculating the correct value for VideoMemorySizeMb should make the game use your VRAM and RAM, which is much much faster. At least that's the way it worked for me. If this info is incorrect, I will stand corrected.

Your rig is a beast, it should be able to handle fallout 4 well enough -- Although F4's optimisation is garbage and in downtown boston your FPS will take a hit due to the horrible drawcalls of FO4. I might recommend using shadowboost as it will really help your FPS out in CPU taxing areas such as that.

Well everyone, thank you all for your input! It was all very helpful and I guess I'll just have to keep tweaking it and what not. My friend just said to me before I posted this, " I never see you actually play Fallout." and my wife responded with, "All he does is mess with it." Which in return sparked me to type out such an sos : p

Lastly, if you're using an ENB, make sure your enblocal.ini file is optioned correctly. Every ENB preset i've ever looked at always has ForceVideoMemorySize set for False, which I believe is the default. This forces your system to use the pagefile extensively and that can cause a huge FPS hit. Setting that option to TRUE and then calculating the correct value for VideoMemorySizeMb should make the game use your VRAM and RAM, which is much much faster. At least that's the way it worked for me. If this info is incorrect, I will stand corrected.

I have it set to

[MEMORY]
ForceVideoMemorySize=true
VideoMemorySizeMb=16000

I have 32gb of 3200 ram, but I read that setting it too high will cause texture errors. When I also try googling some tweaks I only seem to be able to find old guides, I'm sure I'm just not looking hard enough though.

Well everyone, thank you all for your input! It was all very helpful and I guess I'll just have to keep tweaking it and what not. My friend just said to me before I posted this, " I never see you actually play Fallout." and my wife responded with, "All he does is mess with it." Which in return sparked me to type out such an sos : p

I have it set to

[MEMORY]

ForceVideoMemorySize=true

VideoMemorySizeMb=16000

I have 32gb of 3200 ram, but I read that setting it too high will cause texture errors. When I also try googling some tweaks I only seem to be able to find old guides, I'm sure I'm just not looking hard enough though.

I read in a guide a while ago that VideoMemorySizeMb shouldn't be set to anything higher than 10240. The "old" guides are probably still current since they're tweaking an "old" engine, so don't discount them so easily. I mean no disrespect here but you might want to take a step back and consider if the "reward" you're seeking is really worth all the effort. You friend and your wife have a valid point. Just play the game and have fun.

Godrays... ALWAYS disable godrays... In cities they eat up to around 40 FPS.

If you wish to know the difference between all the godray options, google them, there's videos on youtube explaining that kind of stuff.

Also, because in real life the sun doesn't shine that way, I just disabled them entirely. I highly dislike them, especially due to the fact that bethesda made them unoptimized as fuck.

Also, if you have a mod that adds leaves to trees and other stuff that blocks the sun, that makes the godrays eat up even more FPS.

Other than godrays, I have disabled V-sync and downloaded ENB and put a cap on FPS on 61 (this is important btw) also made my game windowed borderless. Made some other tweaks in the game ini and ENB ini, but can't seem to remember.

Download fallaut 4 optimizer or what ever the hell it's called, so you can edit ini easier.

Good luck.

My rig is just a step down from yours.  I have an i7 4790k with two 980ti's in SLI but I'm playing on a slightly higher resolution at 3440x1440p and I'm getting about 45fps average, 60fps indoors always.  For comparison, I only get 30fps average with one 980ti.  So Fallout 4 does benefit from SLI, for sure.  Also, don't 1080s benefit even more with high bandwidth SLI bridges?  
I have retexture packages for everything, I always get 4k resolution textures whenever it's available, and I'm running Olympus ENB with a Reshade/SweetFX.  Currently at 255 mods with 134 plugins.  Everything set on Ultra.  Everything.  Even Godrays.  Even Depth of Field.  Even weapon debris.  Only Ambient Occlusion is turned off because the ENB requires it.

My suggestion is to set iPresentInterval=0 in both Fallout4.ini and Fallout4Prefs.ini.  This, of course, turns off vsync and also turns off mouse acceleration.  Now, my monitor is only 70hz max so I don't get any issues with Fallout 4 by doing this, as everyone should know by now that Fallout 4's gameplay is tied to its framerate, so your mileage may vary.  I actually have never noticed any screen tearing at all with Vsync turned off.  Very cool.  No artifacts either.

Also, remember that whenever you install a new graphics driver you must always go back into Nvidia Control Panel and enable Maximize 3d Settings in the SLI configuration menu.

Also, for Nvidia Inspector, my SLI compatibility bits are set to 0x0800000F5 (Killing Floor 2, Catzilla,....)??

Actually, I have no idea why my SLI bits are set to this.  I'm going to play around with it and see if there's any advantage to this at all.

Edit:  SLI bits are all set to default.  Fallout 4 is listed under 0x0800000F5.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday with my girlfriend comparing the performance of our two systems with nearly the same FO4 install. We walked around south boston area hitting the same spots and viewing the same directions, comparing eachother's framerates. 

• I have an R9 390 liquid cooled Devil, while she has a stock cooled R7 360
  • I have a gettin' old x4 Phenom 2, while she as x8 core FX
  • Both running Subtle ENB, Shadow Boost, Vivid Fallout, everything basically at High to Ultra (we run highly tweaked INIs now, I'm obsessed with getting the best value for performance)

Results? I'm neck-and-neck with her within 2-5 frames. Sometimes dropping just a hair lower when looking down extremely heavy rooftops and alleyways. There is no acceptable average, having 55 FPS interior cells, 45 clean exteriors, failing at 19-23 frames in the shit-pits of Boston... 

What can I conclude from this? Possibly more CPU demanding than GPU? Possibly wishing it had an Nvidia card instead because guess-who-fucked-us-this-time?  I think any big hardware swings will prove too tiny to be worth it, and I think Fallout 4 is extremely under-optimized for its capabilities; and hardware is not exactly making any damn difference. I'm constantly thinking I can do better, when really, many of us are already doing our best with what Beth gave us. And that's not sooooo bad when you look at the big picture. Even though it's far from perfect.

My rig is just a step down from yours.  I have an i7 4790k with two 980ti's in SLI but I'm playing on a slightly higher resolution at 3440x1440p and I'm getting about 45fps average, 60fps indoors always.  For comparison, I only get 30fps average with one 980ti.  So Fallout 4 does benefit from SLI, for sure.  Also, don't 1080s benefit even more with high bandwidth SLI bridges?  

I have retexture packages for everything, I always get 4k resolution textures whenever it's available, and I'm running Olympus ENB with a Reshade/SweetFX.  Currently at 255 mods with 134 plugins.  Everything set on Ultra.  Everything.  Even Godrays.  Even Depth of Field.  Even weapon debris.  Only Ambient Occlusion is turned off because the ENB requires it.

My suggestion is to set iPresentInterval=0 in both Fallout4.ini and Fallout4Prefs.ini.  This, of course, turns off vsync and also turns off mouse acceleration.  Now, my monitor is only 70hz max so I don't get any issues with Fallout 4 by doing this, as everyone should know by now that Fallout 4's gameplay is tied to its framerate, so your mileage may vary.  I actually have never noticed any screen tearing at all with Vsync turned off.  Very cool.  No artifacts either.

Also, remember that whenever you install a new graphics driver you must always go back into Nvidia Control Panel and enable Maximize 3d Settings in the SLI configuration menu.

Also, for Nvidia Inspector, my SLI compatibility bits are set to 0x0800000F5 (Killing Floor 2, Catzilla,....)??

Actually, I have no idea why my SLI bits are set to this.  I'm going to play around with it and see if there's any advantage to this at all.

are enbs still causing game to be unplayable bright in some cells like institute?

are enbs still causing game to be unplayable bright in some cells like institute?

I only have about 630 hours logged into Fallout 4, I've never been to the institute yet, lol. However, with enbseries ver. 307, adjusting the brightness of any ENB you desire is as easy as pressing shift + enter in game and then expand the color corrections tab and adjusting the brightness however you want.  Not very many people know this but the easiest way to adjust any parameters is to left click and hold the specific parameter with your mouse and move the mouse around clockwise or counter-clockwise.  I don't think you have to click Save Changes and then click Apply Changes but I do it anyway.

Well I keep getting the weirdest FPS bug. Walking around the commonwealth I usually get vsync 60fps everwhere I go on my rig, Strangely though all of a sudden and at any exterior location the FPS takes a nose dive and stays down.  I actually have to save and reload to get it back to normal, hell even fast travelling somewhere else and then coming back to that exact location with FPS back to normal WTF!

Well I keep getting the weirdest FPS bug. Walking around the commonwealth I usually get vsync 60fps everwhere I go on my rig, Strangely though all of a sudden and at any exterior location the FPS takes a nose dive and stays down.  I actually have to save and reload to get it back to normal, hell even fast travelling somewhere else and then coming back to that exact location with FPS back to normal WTF!

Hey man, i'm getting the same thing happening to me!  When I entered the ArcJet basement I dropped to like 2-3 fps.  Had to reload and then it worked fine.  But it's awful all the same!

How bad is it getting?

Well, ha, I have it capped and 70 and when I'm downtown it drops to low 50's to mid 40's. If I have resurrection on, it's gg downtown. Everything just goes to hell in a hand basket. Also sometimes if I swing around fast to look behind me the game drops to 50 for a moment. And I do have motion blur off. Also, I get the weirdest drops, like if I turn around in Nukatown and look at them tram from the entrance, I drop to low 40s.

I'm constantly thinking I can do better, when really, many of us are already doing our best with what Beth gave us. And that's not sooooo bad when you look at the big picture. Even though it's far from perfect.

This. You're right, I just get so frustrated and constantly dream of a silky smooth Fallout with no tears.

Allsunday I really appreciate the response. That was my old set up and honestly I wish I kept it for awhile longer. The 4790k is badass. Seems like were pretty close then. I do have it set up like yours, just sometimes it gets me down though. Mainly cause I gave into all the hype I said I wasn't going to give into lol but here we are. I hope Skyrim remastered runs better. And yeah the higher bandwidth actually makes a difference. Though I don't have one, I have two normal ones running and the warning went away but I'd rather have the high performance one instead.

Good luck.

MCmaddawg, Thank you very much for the input. I know about disabling Godrays but they look so good lol When I turn them off I'm like, "I can do this." then I look at the glowing geforce lettering in my computer and yell, "BUT I HAVE 2 1080's!" Do you happen to know if turning off volumetric lighting affect anywhere else(like inside places)? or does it just turn off Godrays? 

Hey man, i'm getting the same thing happening to me!  When I entered the ArcJet basement I dropped to like 2-3 fps.  Had to reload and then it worked fine.  But it's awful all the same!

I had this happen to me in Skyrim all the time, and when I looked at afterburner I noticed that my 980's tanked to zero use. I did a clean installed the drivers and it kinda just went away for me. Sorry if that doesn't help at all though. It's horrible to deal with.

How bad is it getting?

Well, ha, I have it capped and 70 and when I'm downtown it drops to low 50's to mid 40's. If I have resurrection on, it's gg downtown. Everything just goes to hell in a hand basket. Also sometimes if I swing around fast to look behind me the game drops to 50 for a moment. And I do have motion blur off. Also, I get the weirdest drops, like if I turn around in Nukatown and look at them tram from the entrance, I drop to low 40s.

I'm constantly thinking I can do better, when really, many of us are already doing our best with what Beth gave us. And that's not sooooo bad when you look at the big picture. Even though it's far from perfect.

This. You're right, I just get so frustrated and constantly dream of a silky smooth Fallout with no tears.

Allsunday I really appreciate the response. That was my old set up and honestly I wish I kept it for awhile longer. The 4790k is badass. Seems like were pretty close then. I do have it set up like yours, just sometimes it gets me down though. Mainly cause I gave into all the hype I said I wasn't going to give into lol but here we are. I hope Skyrim remastered runs better. And yeah the higher bandwidth actually makes a difference. Though I don't have one, I have two normal ones running and the warning went away but I'd rather have the high performance one instead.

Good luck.

MCmaddawg, Thank you very much for the input. I know about disabling Godrays but they look so good lol When I turn them off I'm like, "I can do this." then I look at the glowing geforce lettering in my computer and yell, "BUT I HAVE 2 1080's!" Do you happen to know if turning off volumetric lighting affect anywhere else(like inside places)? or does it just turn off Godrays? 

I had this happen to me in Skyrim all the time, and when I looked at afterburner I noticed that my 980's tanked to zero use. I did a clean installed the drivers and it kinda just went away for me. Sorry if that doesn't help at all though. It's horrible to deal with.

Yeah, I only figured that if you're playing on 1440p and you hardly have any texture mods that you should definitely be running the game far better than me, especially since you have two GTX 1080s.  
I'm not satisfied with how my 980ti's perform on Fallout 4 but 45fps is still very playable and I'm not going to lose sleep over it.  The long hours and dedication I put into making the game look amazing makes up for the standard performance I'm getting.  Hell, perhaps the reason why I'm getting standard performance is also because of all the crap I put in the game.  Lol.  Here's what my game looks like on a normal day:

I'd also like to add that when I turn off my enb with shift+F12 that my game runs at a full 70fps constant.  

post-654302-0-28942600-1475283957_thumb.png

Volumetric lightning, I believe turns off the GodRays.

This game is so horribly optimised, that what ever you do, it's not gonna run very good, especially with tons of mods (Like I have).

I'll show you my Fallout 4 settings and maybe you can alter these a little bit. With this I'm getting good 30-40 FPS. Be aware that my computer can run fallout 4 fine on high settings, it's just that the mods are eating up my FPS.

http://imgur.com/a/56HY1

Archived