Almost all chrome looks like latex

Z0mBieP00Nani

I'm not sure if this is being caused by a mod I've installed recently or what, but for some reason anything that uses the chrome cube map looks like shiny black rubber instead, or it's just shiny without the metallic effect. I've checked my folders for any corresponding cube maps and removed them, but it's the same story every time I load the game up.

FO4 don't have reflections, to simulate a reflection fo4 use a texture, a enviroment map, there is a few of this textures around the data folder, what should have happen to your game is that you probably have install a mod that makes reflection "better" and them broke your reflections so you don't have reflections. This could happen changing the INI or with texture, i already see mods that changes both.

FO4 don't have reflections, to simulate a reflection fo4 use a texture, a enviroment map, there is a few of this textures around the data folder, what should have happen to your game is that you probably have install a mod that makes reflection "better" and them broke your reflections so you don't have reflections. This could happen changing the INI or with texture, i already see mods that changes both.

I'm not sure if I have installed any mods like that. I've only installed some HD texture mods, a grass mod as far as that goes, and a water mod (after the issue was already present). What other mods affect reflection? I've seen an old mod that edits puddles and reflection, but I never installed that mod.

It's strange because I wasn't having any issues like this, and then one time while playing, they were there.

I'm not sure if I have installed any mods like that. I've only installed some HD texture mods, a grass mod as far as that goes, and a water mod (after the issue was already present). What other mods affect reflection? I've seen an old mod that edits puddles and reflection, but I never installed that mod.

It's strange because I wasn't having any issues like this, and then one time while playing, they were there.

Check the texture folder, should have something on textures/shared/cubemaps/

I am sure your problem is there.

Just a small correction, fo4 have yes some real reflections, but the use is very very limited, i think only for some water surfaces, i never see in other surface, or never notice...

Check the texture folder, should have something on textures/shared/cubemaps/

I am sure your problem is there.

Just a small correction, fo4 have yes some real reflections, but the use is very very limited, i think only for some water surfaces, i never see in other surface, or never notice...

I've looked there but I don't have a cube maps folder.

If it is INI related, what would I look for?

Just notice that you said about the cubemaps in the first post :)

So the textures are ok.... ENB or Reshade don't change reflections or anything like that yet, so is almost impossible to be one of those.

You could have a mod that have the texture in BA2 file, try to disable all mods that use BA2 files, a lot of times modders put extra/wrong files together, is a mistake that happens all the time.

I could think in a lot of stuff, but only for real reflections, not the fake ones...

I've tried turning on and off all of the files that I've installed since I can remember the glitch being present, but nothing is affecting it. It's like the metallic part has been turned way down, but not the shine its self, and depending one how prominent the metallic effect is supposed to be on the object the darker the grey color becomes, until it's completely black.

I already tried to make world reflections on armor pieces, i got this result, all black and just the specular working.

I really don't know what more to say... if the textures are ok, maybe you just have some problem in your INI, but i am not sure, i think the INI only affect the world reflection.

In any case a clean install always fix this stuff :)

I already tried to make world reflections on armor pieces, i got this result, all black and just the specular working.

I really don't know what more to say... if the textures are ok, maybe you just have some problem in your INI, but i am not sure, i think the INI only affect the world reflection.

In any case a clean install always fix this stuff :)

Yeah, I don't really want to do that but.. it's the one thing I haven't tried yet.

I tired making a gold Pip Boy and had similar results to what you described, working secular, but no shiny gold effect. :-/ I was also hoping to make a gold paint scheme for the HMR (Hand Made Rifle) that just came out with the new DLC, but that's looking like an impossibility as well.. at least for me anyway.

All of the other metal effects work fine, it's just the chrome, or that effect that's bugged.

I've been having the same issue with all the chrome in my game as well. I finally found the problem too. It looks like the cubemap idea might have been right. In my case Enhanced Blood Textures had installed a cubemap into data\textures\shared\cubemaps that caused the chrome effect to be eliminated. Note: this cubemap does not require any .esp to affect the game so simply deactivating plugins will not fix the issue. The cubemap must be deleted either by removing the rest of the mod with it or just the cubemap.

I don't know if this is the same issue you were having or if you even have that same mod installed, but it could narrow down your search at least and possibly prevent removing all mods to find out which one is the culprit. 

I've been having the same issue with all the chrome in my game as well. I finally found the problem too. It looks like the cubemap idea might have been right. In my case Enhanced Blood Textures had installed a cubemap into data\textures\shared\cubemaps that caused the chrome effect to be eliminated. Note: this cubemap does not require any .esp to affect the game so simply deactivating plugins will not fix the issue. The cubemap must be deleted either by removing the rest of the mod with it or just the cubemap.

I don't know if this is the same issue you were having or if you even have that same mod installed, but it could narrow down your search at least and possibly prevent removing all mods to find out which one is the culprit. 

I am using that mod but I'm using version 0.01, and apparently that version didn't have a cube map.

I wish that was the problem I was having.

Part of me wants to say it could be the Nuka World DLC that's causing the issue, the problem is, I didn't see the issue until later on, and of all of the mods I've installed and or removed since getting Nuka World, none of them installed any cube maps or touched the reflection stats (at least not directly) in my game. Also, I checked the cube maps folder, but found no cube maps that would replace the ones that chrome textures use.

Archived