Fallout 4 & Blender

Jordick

I guess I should learn how to do this stuff sooner or later.

I've been trying to convert outfits from Skyrim to Fallout 4 using just the Nifskope and Outfit Studio tools following this tutorial, but every time the files seem to get corrupted and won't load up in the game properly. ( by corrupted files I mean this and this )

Some time ago I was advised to use Blender or 3DSmax to adjust the shapes from Skyrim to Fallout 4 shapes instead of the Outfit Studio, because the OS tends to break the nif files.

As the Blender is free software, I chose to try that one out.

But as far I know, the Blender doesn't have nif/obj file support on of its own, so it needs a plugin of some sort to support them. I tried to google around finding those plugins, but I couldn't find any leads where to get them.

So what do I need to get started?

Also, some tutorials for how to convert outfits from Skyrim to Fallout 4 would also be appreciated.

ps. I apologize if asking such a simple question irritates some people, but I seem to get nowhere with this on my own.   :-/

Blender has a NIF plugin for it, but it's not feature-complete.

It does come with OBJ import/export by default, though.

"Some time ago I was advised to use Blender or 3DSmax to adjust the shapes from Skyrim to Fallout 4 shapes instead of the Outfit Studio, because the OS tends to break the nif files."

Not true by the way. It's simply something it doesn't even support. The only way to convert from game to game with OS, is to export and import an OBJ file.

If you do that, then it's actually cleaner than both Blender and 3ds max NIF export.

Of course, you have to set up the correct shader and material values and all that afterwards in the shape properties of OS and in NifSkope, but you have to do the same with other tools.

"Some time ago I was advised to use Blender or 3DSmax to adjust the shapes from Skyrim to Fallout 4 shapes instead of the Outfit Studio, because the OS tends to break the nif files."

Not true by the way. It's simply something it doesn't even support. The only way to convert from game to game with OS, is to export and import an OBJ file.

If you do that, then it's actually cleaner than both Blender and 3ds max NIF export.

Of course, you have to set up the correct shader and material values and all that afterwards in the shape properties of OS and in NifSkope, but you have to do the same with other tools.

Is that so. Well that's what I've been so far, exporting the nif/obj files, but those were from Skyrim to Skyrim conversions.

I recently noticed that Outfit Studio is incapable on converting certain meshes from Skyrim to Fallout 4, due the massive difference in shapes.

Here's what I mean by that:

4iljyES.jpg

It was partly because of this that I was advised to use the Blender instead, because apparently the Outfit Studio is incapable of converting meshes such as gloves. But I have no idea how to get started.

I did manage to export the Obj files from the nif files using the Nifskope, and then re-open them in Blender using the "Import obj file" option, but that's as far I could get.

"Incapable" is such a wrong choice of words. :P

Well, it can be done more easily in Blender. I think I was the one who told you that on the Nexus.

When I said OS can convert more clean, then I meant purely the NIF format itself, not the shape of the geometry.

You should export the OBJ from Outfit Studio instead, I don't know when the OBJ export of NifSkope was last updated. Once you have that in Blender, you're pretty much on your own. Import the body as well for reference and start fitting the gloves. There's lots of Blender video tutorials, it's not a Bethesda specific process.

"Incapable" is such a wrong choice of words. :P

Well, it can be done more easily in Blender. I think I was the one who told you that on the Nexus.

When I said OS can convert more clean, then I meant purely the NIF format itself, not the shape of the geometry.

You should export the OBJ from Outfit Studio instead, I don't know when the OBJ export of NifSkope was last updated. Once you have that in Blender, you're pretty much on your own. Import the body as well for reference and start fitting the gloves. There's lots of Blender video tutorials, it's not a Bethesda specific process.

I see. Guess I'll have to learn how to use Blender sooner or later, so I guess I'll have to search some tutorials for it that actually shows what I need to learn.

Anyway, thanks for replying. I appreciate that.   :)

Archived